To ask him to do this for me?

(11 Posts)
Angel1983 Mon 01-Jun-15 18:33:11

I genuinely have no idea whether it was unreasonable of me to ask this so all opinions welcome.

My DP and I will shortly have the opportunity to vote in an election which is very important to me. My DP has informed me that whilst the outcome which I intend to vote for would be preferable to him he doesn't intend to vote.

When I asked why he didn't intend to vote DP simply stated that he couldn't be bothered.

On the basis that the issue is something which I am passionate about WIBU in thinking that he should at least make some effort to vote simply because it is important to me (especially as he agrees with my views). I have thought about whether I would be prepared to do something I wasn't really that fussed about just because it was important to DP and I would - provided that I agreed with what I was being asked to do.

Alternatively, I can see the POV that if he doesn't want to vote he shouldn't have to and it's nothing to do with me whether he decides to vote or not, no matter how important the issue is to me?

Help me see sense please!

00100001 Mon 01-Jun-15 18:35:10

there't nothing compelling him to vote. but if he doesn't, he can't complain about anything related

00100001 Mon 01-Jun-15 18:35:14

there't nothing compelling him to vote. but if he doesn't, he can't complain about anything related

flessan Mon 01-Jun-15 18:37:15

No, YANBU. It would be unreasonable to expect him to vote with you if he disagreed, but a loving partner would IMO, make himself bothered about something for his DP's sake. Does he actually agree with you, of may he be concerned about falling out with you if he expresses an opposing view?
Is there an opportunity to have a postal vote? If so, you could just (with his permission obv) register him for one, fill out the voting slip and then just get him to sign it so that he doesn't have to be "bothered" on a practical level.

APlaceOnTheCouch Mon 01-Jun-15 18:39:45

YABU. The whole point of democracy is that we get to vote (or not) as we wish. I understand your frustrations but using your relationship to 'buy' someone's vote is as appealing as businesses using brown envelopes to 'buy' influence.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Mon 01-Jun-15 18:43:48

If he agrees with you on it and cares about your feelings on the matter, its not exactly a big ask. It's just a matter of laziness so yabu to ask him to do it because you'd like him to.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Mon 01-Jun-15 18:44:28

yanbu, obv.

worridmum Mon 01-Jun-15 18:51:51

I do wish we had the system like austrilla were everyone has to vote (expections are made in geneural cases eg hosipital on holiday abroad etc) with if i remeber correctly fines imposed for people not voting because if we used the same rules that conservites want to impose on trade unions for strike action (80% turn out in favour or something stupidly high otherwise its not vaild) no general ellection would be vaild

Theycallmemellowjello Mon 01-Jun-15 18:53:58

I think yanbu to 'campaign' and try to persuade him but yabu to expect him to comply. Not voting is as much a part of democracy as voting I'm afraid.

Angel1983 Mon 01-Jun-15 18:56:10

Flessan - I do genuinely think that he agrees with my opinion. Unfortunately, there is no postal vote and I wouldn't feel right in voting for him.

I suppose I just want him to recognise that this is really important to me and make some form of effort to acknowledge that. However, this frustration is at odds with my view that democracy is a great thing and that includes being free to not vote!

toomuchtooold Mon 01-Jun-15 19:00:21

I think YANBU - it matters a lot to you, he agrees with it, it's simply a matter of whether he can be bothered to do this thing that would help bring about something you want to see happen.

(And if the vote in question happens to be the Swiss one on PGD in 2 weeks I hope you are voting yes!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now