ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 30-May-15 21:12:14

Because it was in their manifesto? confused

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-15 21:13:10

They had to because they're appeasing their right wing nut jobs

Cameron is very anti leaving the EU

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-15 21:13:43

To draw Ukip votes in the election plus their right wing back benchers

MagentaVitus Sat 30-May-15 21:14:20

Because they don't actually want to leave, but feel that giving the people their say is a helpful political move.

PtolemysNeedle Sat 30-May-15 21:14:49

To try and appeal to people that might have voted UKIP without that promise in the election campaign.

Mistigri Sat 30-May-15 21:14:55

To appease their own eurosceptics.

Cameron thought that the election would result in another coalition, and that the libdems would veto the referendum. Unfortunately his gamble did not pay off.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 30-May-15 21:14:58

I don't think he's as anti as the press has you believe.

Orangeanddemons Sat 30-May-15 21:16:12

I thought they did hold a referendum to opt in. I'm sure they did

bgottalent Sat 30-May-15 21:16:33

There was a referendum in 1975

Twooter Sat 30-May-15 21:17:39

Because he's more likely to get a better deal in Europe if the EU think we really could leave.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 30-May-15 21:18:47

They don't want to leave, Cameron certainly doesn't, buts it's something lots of people want so he's giving in.

Lindor Sat 30-May-15 21:19:32

I remember my parents discussing the referendum and going to vote on Europe in the 70s

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 30-May-15 21:19:43

Because it's an issue where all serious political parties think one way, but a significant number of people in the country as a whole think another. In that situation it's right that political parties offer the choice via a referendum. The labour party also support it of course.

Hannahouse Sat 30-May-15 21:24:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mistigri Sat 30-May-15 21:28:29

I really don't think cameron ever thought he would actually have to deliver on the referendum. The manifesto was written on the assumption that the more difficult-to-deliver promises would be vetoed by their prospective coalition partners.

MagentaVitus Sat 30-May-15 21:31:51

I'm 100% positive that Cameron will step down after the referendum, regardless of outcome.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 30-May-15 21:37:10

Why magenta? He'll step down in 2019 for the next election as he said he would before this election happened. I don't think he gives a stuff if we stay in the EU or not, as long as he thinks he's representing his country he'll happily give the referendum, and follow through with the vote, whichever way it goes.

ReallyTired Sat 30-May-15 21:38:25

I feel that a referendum on the EU is a positive step. The fact that UKIP did so well in the last EU elections and gained 4 million votes in the last general election shows that a significant number of people want to leave the EU. It is a burning issue that is outside normal party politics. Both labour and conservatives have euro sceptics. UKIP took voters from both labour and the tories.

If the country votes to stay in the EU it will shut the whingers once and for all. If the country votes to leave the EU then the will of the people should be respected.

FiloFunky Sat 30-May-15 21:43:34

i hope to god we dont leave Europe. really can't afford DP to lose his job.

MagentaVitus Sat 30-May-15 21:46:02

Well he has to leave if his side of the campaign loses - will have completely lost his mandate. And winning would be a 'going out on a high' move, rather than waiting around for his legacy go sour, like Blair's did. Its a PR move for the One Nation side of the party.

Aermingers Sat 30-May-15 21:46:27

I have massive concerns about the undemocraticness of the EU. There are too many appointed rather than elected positions of power. The parliament is unwieldy and unrepresentative.

Also the claim that 'All serious political parties support it' isn't that convincing to me. Because politicians tend to be liable to support an organisation which promises them a very lucrative and comfortable living should they lose their seat. Without having to go through any silly nonsense like democratic elections in many cases.

Justanotherlurker Sat 30-May-15 21:53:49

A democratic right, it is what a growing section of the electorate wants so you have to adhere to it.

Fortunately, whatever you think of Cameron/tory they are pro EU, this campaign isn't going to be run on a better out slant

keepitsimple0 Sat 30-May-15 21:55:09

against the principles of our constitution,

we have a constitution?

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-May-15 23:04:01

Because it's a massive issue and you haven't really got a mandate to justify taking such an enormous decision when you got 38% of a 70% turnout.

That begs the question about what decisions would be justifiable to take on behalf of the country with such a mandate.

I think leaving the EU is one of those where the people need to be asked. Scotland showed how engaged people can get in political debate. I suspect the EU might not be as engaging for some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now