To think Ninja Warrior is an unfair competition for women?

(24 Posts)
conniedescending Sat 30-May-15 19:41:14

We've all really enjoyed this programme but am cross that only one female is in the final and actually men have dominated the competition. Can't understand why they haven't had male and female heats so it's a fairer competition and the women aren't disadvantaged.

MrsHathaway Sat 30-May-15 19:44:06

Lots of women have done well during the heats but height and reach is an advantage so women who tend to be shorter will do worse.

Gladiators used to have men's and women's competitions but it makes the Women's victories all the sweeter when they kick men's arses in NW. I'm torn.

LizardBreath Sat 30-May-15 19:46:12

I disagree, I think unfortunately the calibre of the women entering hasn't been as good as the men (unsure why) but in the ocr world in general the women are regularly up there with the men.

CrohnicallyInflexible Sat 30-May-15 19:46:18

I agree, in the vast majority of sports, men and women compete separately. I'd also like to see the warped wall lowered slightly for women. DH disagrees and says it's technique, not height that matters, but if you are below a certain height, the best technique in the world won't get you up there. And as women are, on average, shorter than men, women are more likely to be under that 'certain height'.

AnyoneForTennis Sat 30-May-15 19:49:41

I disagree.

I think far less women will have entered for this to start with. Op, why not train and enter next year?

ChuffinAda Sat 30-May-15 19:56:25

I think women who do parkour or climb will do well at it moreso if they're tall and rangey

Hopefully next season we'll see more of those types

conniedescending Sat 30-May-15 20:00:30

I think as well as reach you need good upper body strength and men naturally also have that advantage there too.

But, point taken about less female contestants entering.

grin At me training! I'm fitter than I've ever been but lack upper body strength despite this! Can do push-ups but can't do a pull up at all. Would be an epic failure!

CrohnicallyInflexible Sat 30-May-15 20:18:56

But upper body strength is something you can work on, and women tend to be smaller/lighter than men so it balances out a little. There is nothing you can do about height/reach.

MrsHathaway Sat 30-May-15 20:38:49

Laughed at the result!

MidniteScribbler Sat 30-May-15 23:41:52

There is a female ninja warrior tournament as well.

Happfeet2911 Sun 31-May-15 00:17:53

Accept that men are stronger and faster than women, not that hard!

SmillasSenseOfSnow Sun 31-May-15 00:20:46

Surely that was exactly the point being made, Happfeet? Hence the suggestion that there be separate men's and women's versions?

Foreverlurking Sun 31-May-15 00:23:29

As painful as it might be for some to admit, women are generally less strong than men and shorter. Yes, I do think they are massively disadvantaged in that NW is very upper-body and reach focussed. Also less women applied.

I wouldn't be against men/women heats.

fatlazymummy Sun 31-May-15 00:57:02

Has anyone seen the Japanese version.?
As far as I can remember, there was only one woman who managed to complete the main event (not the womans event). She was an amazing athlete. In the japanese version agility and being lightfooted was very important in the first round but in later rounds upper body strength was more important. Most women just can't compete as far as upper body strength goes .

conniedescending Sun 31-May-15 15:04:31

Yes that was my point happfeet....men are generally stronger and faster than women hence my view that the competition is unfair and should be male and female heats.

Rubbish ending though...they made it too hard!

chanie44 Sun 31-May-15 15:32:30

I thought this the first and only time I've seen the show.

There was 1 female contestant on it who did really well timewise, but couldn't get up the wall. At the time, I thought the wall should be slightly lower.

ConcreteElephant Sun 31-May-15 15:40:13

I haven't watched this but there's an article on the DM (shoot me for reading) which states that the female finalist's performance and standing was manipulated to get her into the final.

She didn't actually qualify in her semi-final but her time would have seen her through in the other semi so they showed her as part of that heat instead?

Seems a bit pointless to make it a mixed competition then 'fix' it anyway.

pettywitchinlondon Tue 02-Jun-15 12:56:14

Yes it is unfair, that's why sports are not mixed.

Show was silly with how ridiculous ly hard the final was with no one winning.

Presenters were dire too.

SummerHouse Tue 02-Jun-15 13:00:11

Was the biggest anti climax I have ever seen on TV. I had to watch it twice as I really thought I had missed something but no, no one won!

HereIAm20 Tue 02-Jun-15 14:08:57

I quite liked the concept that no-one ended up with the title as non-one completed the final course. There was of course the last man standing. As a 5 foot tall person however strong/ fit I was (I'm not either) I would never be able to reach some of the obstacles, spread my legs wide enough to grip the side wall obstacles etc so agree it would be better to have a male version and a female version in the same way all the Olympic athletes compete

SinclairSpectrum Tue 02-Jun-15 14:21:19

Pound for pound men are stronger. Its a biological fact.
So whether more taller women or shorter men competed in the whole men would do better.
No idea why they didn't have gender specific competitions running side by side.

AlanBstardMPagain Tue 02-Jun-15 14:21:50

My problem was that virtually all of the sections of the course relied on upper body strength and/or reach, both of which put female competitors at a big physiological disadvantage. With the best will in the world you couldn't have a female winner of that course.

At least with Gladiators the different events focused on different skills so you really had a feel for who were the best 'all round' competitors. I miss Gladiators.

The presenters were dire although Kammy makes me laugh as he's such a fool. The woman (I forget her name) was very irritating.

NRomanoff Tue 02-Jun-15 14:45:35

Yabu, if there were separate ones people would have complained. Upper body strength is something you have to work towards. Men naturally are stronger, however they are heavier. So in body weight competitions, there is very little advantage.

You could say that the women should have trained harder for the competition. A year ago I couldn't do a pull up, now I can. Because I have weight trained. Despite this, if I was to enter I would know I would need to increase my strength.

You could also say that, as the women tend to be faster, that men are at a disadvantage because the women entering are faster.

I know plenty of women who could beat men at doing this sort of thing.

NRomanoff Tue 02-Jun-15 14:47:25

so agree it would be better to have a male version and a female version in the same way all the Olympic athletes compete

Then surely there should be separate courses for short men and tall men?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now