AIBU to say that the White Rose is the symbol of Yorkshire

(29 Posts)
glinda Wed 27-May-15 19:36:31

AIBU to say that the White Rose is the symbol of Yorkshire and that the SNP can't claim it as a symbol of Scotland.
I am happy to share and I think that our political views may have much in common, but surely the Scottish symbol has always been a thistle?

londonrach Wed 27-May-15 19:38:08

I thought it was sheep but might be wrong. Scotland is the thistle.

Cornettoninja Wed 27-May-15 19:38:21

Is it the snp logo?

I would associate the White rose with Yorkshire and wouldn't make a connection with Scotland personally so it does seem an odd choice.

Homemadeapplepie Wed 27-May-15 19:39:00

Yep I agree-you are definitely not BU at all.

FatimaLovesBread Wed 27-May-15 19:39:25

Sheep?? Yorkshire is definitely the white rose

HarryLimeFoxtrot Wed 27-May-15 19:39:58

White rose is definitely Yorkshire - YANBU.

fairgame Wed 27-May-15 19:39:58

YANBU
White rose for Yorkshire and red rose for Lancashire.
They can't steal our rose sad

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 27-May-15 19:40:33

www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176172
www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/archivists-garden/index-by-plant-name/white-rose-of-scotland-scots-rose-burnet-rose

Its been a symbol associated with Scotland for a fair while...

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 27-May-15 19:40:59

Yanbu

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 27-May-15 19:42:06

It's the Jacobite rose all the SNP members have been sporting today, apparently.
Although this, for me, is just as confusing as I thought they were Scottish, not Catholic.

redexpat Wed 27-May-15 19:42:28

Of course YANBU!

EthelDurant123 Wed 27-May-15 19:44:19

Yanbu. I think the Scots need to look at their history books.

I am from Northamptonshire. A red rose. The opposition!

Iainsmum Wed 27-May-15 19:44:36

AIBU to say that the White Rose is the symbol of Yorkshire and that the SNP can't claim it as a symbol of Scotland

The SNP are not 'stealing' a symbol of Yorkshire. As someone else pointed out, the symbol of Scotland is the thistle. However, a little reading of Scottish history would explain the use of the white rose.

Or you can just carry on harrummphing like a Daily Mail reader.

MagentaVitus Wed 27-May-15 19:44:38

Unfortunately you cannot lay claim to something as generic as a rose.

On a tangent, the national animal of Scotland (and Sweden) is a unicorn, which I think is fucking fantastic. It is majestic as shit to choose a mythical beast instead of a boring, real animal.

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Wed 27-May-15 19:45:03

I suspect it was a way of showing which were SNP MPs - and thus how many there are. They are in a war with Labour at the moment for recognition as the third-largest party in the House - Labour are trying to pretend that only they are the Opposition. Just like when the Lib dems win a lot of seats in 1997.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 27-May-15 19:45:27

Did Lancastrians object when Labour adopted the red rose as their symbol? SNP were just wearing them today, it's not a permanent thing.

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Wed 27-May-15 19:45:35

And white roses show up on TV better than thistles.

Eigg Wed 27-May-15 19:46:19

Charming London, deeply witty.

To everyone else, erm just because you weren't aware that the white Rose holds symbolism in Scotland doesn't mean the SNP have stolen it.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Wed 27-May-15 19:49:15

I'm Scottish and I didn't know there was a white rose connection until I read about it today.

I am no SNP supporter but they apparently always wear one at the opening of Parliament; it wasn't to show how many of them there were too bloody many.

Wish they didn't make such a big deal of being Scottish and just got on with being MPs.

londonrach Wed 27-May-15 19:53:30

Eigg. Dont understand. My grandparents from yorkshire and i just remember sheep and the yorkshire moors when we visited. Went through a stage of collecting sheep as everywhere sold there had a sheep on as linked to the wool industry. On mn has a user name on ikely moor bar tat which always makes me smile as gran used to sing it all the time! Off point. As you were mntters...

JassyRadlett Wed 27-May-15 19:56:03

Do you get upset about Labour using the red rose?

Momagain1 Wed 27-May-15 19:57:59

*It's the Jacobite rose all the SNP members have been sporting today, apparently.
Although this, for me, is just as confusing as I thought they were Scottish, not Catholic.*

oh dear. I am American, and even I know the king associated with the Jacobites was Scots.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 27-May-15 20:02:39

Rather amusingly (well, it raised a smile for me) the white rose of Yorkshire is called the rose alba, "Alba" being Gaelic for Scotland. grin (Though in this context, it's actually Latin for "white", of course.)

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 27-May-15 20:06:11

A simplified explanation of the relevance of Cardiff's point re Catholics.

geekymommy Wed 27-May-15 20:17:10

The claimants to the throne associated with the Jacobites were Scots, and were also Catholic. The reason why they were not accepted as monarchs was because they were Catholic, not because they were Scots. Saying it was because they were Scots doesn't make sense. England had had a Scottish monarch for 85 years at that point, and the queen who replaced James II was his daughter, Mary, who was also Scottish (but Protestant). The Stuart claimants from the son of James II on are buried in St Peter's Basilica in the Vatican (I've seen their tombs).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now