everyone living in the UK should get to vote on EU ref

(166 Posts)
agentEgypt Mon 25-May-15 08:13:44

Just heard on the radio that EU migrants won't be allowed to vote. This seems very unfair as many could have been here and laying tax for decades!

PtolemysNeedle Mon 25-May-15 08:18:51

They can apply for citizenship if they want to, so I disagree. What about the ones that move here a month before the referendum and haven't been working or paying tax here for decades?

DinosaursRoar Mon 25-May-15 08:27:57

Nope, I don't think non-uk citizens should get a say in if the uk stays in the EU or not. It's the right decision. (And I think we should stay in)

Rebecca2014 Mon 25-May-15 08:36:10

Why should they? They are not British citizens. A fair referendum is what is needed.

HagOtheNorth Mon 25-May-15 08:37:33

It's a vote that should only involve the citizens of the country concerned.

EldonAve Mon 25-May-15 08:37:36

I think it's fair. They don't get to vote in the general election either

PrettyInPinkPan Mon 25-May-15 08:38:08

Nope OP, and
1. Anyone else amused by the NN combo of Ptolemy and Egypt?
2. OP you ARE a busy bee, commencing all of these 'controversial', generalised threads...

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 25-May-15 08:40:44

Er why should non-citizens be allowed to vote?

Yes they may have been here for years but unless they have taken citizenship then no, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. No other EU country allows it either.

ollieplimsoles Mon 25-May-15 08:41:54

I don't see why they should get to vote on this either hmm

ilovesooty Mon 25-May-15 08:42:14

Would you like people who are economically inactive but who are British citizens barred from voting OP? hmm

RedToothBrush Mon 25-May-15 08:45:48

Scotland...

If you children go to school here. You pay tax here. You have a job here. You own a house here.

You should be allowed to vote as it affects YOUR FUTURE.

Saying well 'you could take citizenship' is bollocks as at this point there is no guarantee you would be allowed to stay.

Sorry but this is all about racism. STILL.

Skiptonlass Mon 25-May-15 08:46:37

No, this is quite standard across Europe.

I live in Sweden and as I pay tax here I can vote in the local elections, but until I'm a citizen I can't vote in the national elections. I retain my vote in the British elections, so I am represented.

ThePinkOcelot Mon 25-May-15 08:48:52

No, I don't think they should be allowed to vote at all! And here we go, the racism card!!

RedToothBrush Mon 25-May-15 08:49:00

AND if its so important, WHY exceptions for Malta, Ireland and Gibraltar...

oh. yeah. because.

AnyRailway Mon 25-May-15 08:49:56

I can see that it might skew the vote if EU migrants were allowed to take part.

All the hardworking immigrants who have built new lives for their families here are not going to vote to be sent back home, surely.

PrettyInPinkPan Mon 25-May-15 08:50:19

Possibly people who intend to vote 'leave' shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 25-May-15 08:54:48

RedTooth

No it isn't,don't be so incredibly ridiculous.

Name another EU country which allows non-citizens to vote in general elections or referendums. Non-citizens in the UK can vote in local elections here and still retain their right to vote in their home country.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 25-May-15 08:55:50

Also, the whole point of taking citizenship is that you can stay indefinitely...hmm

RedToothBrush Mon 25-May-15 08:57:37

Will prisoners be allowed to vote?

You know non-productive people who the Conservatives want to loose the vote but can't because of the EU.

If you pay tax you are contributing. We don't really want people to apply for citizenship as that means they will stay here in old age. Its GOOD for us for people to go back to Europe.

Will people living abroad be allowed to vote? Perhaps they shouldn't either as they aren't contributing to the economy but yet may be eligible for benefits...

Skiptonlass Mon 25-May-15 08:58:08

Red tooth. So are the swedes being racist by not allowing me to vote for the riksdag?

No, they are just doing what every other country in Europe does. Until I'm a Swedish citizen, I don't get to vote in the national elections.

SolomanDaisy Mon 25-May-15 08:59:10

The good news is that to do that, the government have had to confirm that the millions of UK citizens living elsewhere in Europe will be able to vote. Which should provide a massive swing towards In.

Mistigri Mon 25-May-15 09:01:03

I think that people who are permanently settled in the UK probably should get a vote (and there are pretty standard definitions of what permanently settled means in the EU - ie if you've been legally resident for at least 5 years).

I most likely won't get a vote, despite being a UK citizen, as I'm not on the electoral register (been exercising my right of free labour movement in the EU for too long). I would strongly support people with a biggest stake in the decision getting a vote, but we probably won't.

RedToothBrush Mon 25-May-15 09:01:05

If you pay tax you take part.

Its fair.

This referendum is going to be god awful and people are going to say the worse most disgusting things and think its ok to do so.

Skiptonlass Mon 25-May-15 09:01:19

I'm also not eligible for any UK benefits any more. If I go home I technically need my E111 to use the NHS.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 25-May-15 09:03:20

EU migrants who aren't citizens can't vote in general elections either. Commonwealth citizens can though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now