Hi guys table for 2?
What can I get you guys to drink?
Thanks guys
If you guys want to wait a minute someone will be with you shortly

I hate it! Please stop.

GingerbreadBaubles Mon 25-May-15 04:58:15

Title fail, should be To not.

ocrasaranmuc Mon 25-May-15 05:53:30

I f***ing hate the term. My lo's have started to use it as their teachers use it in school.angry

NoArmaniNoPunani Mon 25-May-15 06:10:51

Doesn't bother me, reminds me of the goonies.

AvocadoLime Mon 25-May-15 06:15:56

I'm afraid that I don't mind it, I may use it myself sometimes but not out of habit.

There was a thread on the feminist board a while ago though discussing whether it matters that women are so often casually misgendered through the use of 'guys', 'man(kind)' etc. which made me stop and think, though.

Royalsighness Mon 25-May-15 06:38:23

I use it all the time, it started as a joke when I was a teenager and stuck. It annoys a relative of mine but I don't have much time for people who pull me up on my grammar and speech.

Andrewofgg Mon 25-May-15 06:48:52

There's a woman in my office who addresses her team as Guys even when the only ones who make the meeting are all women. It's coming to mean the same as People - isn't it?

TheCowThatLaughs Mon 25-May-15 07:04:13

I was at a training session always delivered to an overwhelmingly female audience and the trainer kept referring to the guys, some of the other guys, the guys said, etc etc. it did start to grate a bit tbh

Plonkysaurus Mon 25-May-15 07:05:59

YABU it's so overly matey, despite usually coming from strangers. Hate it!

chrome100 Mon 25-May-15 07:07:02

"Guys" used in a generic context doesn't refer to all men. I totally disagree that it's "misgendering women", in that context the semantics are different and it's akin to saying "people". The fact it can be used in all-female situations proves that.

I don't see the problem.

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Mon 25-May-15 07:11:02

biscuit

nornironrock Mon 25-May-15 08:11:49

What about when people go in to the coffee place and say to the person behind the counter "Can I get a large latte?".... I'm waiting for someone to tell them to fuck off and let them do their job!!!!

Sorry - as for the "guys", yeah. We're not American. Unless you are, in which case you'll be wondering what all the fuss is....

EdYouKateShaun Mon 25-May-15 08:17:12

I'm trying to figure out if I'm annoyed by the 'misgendering' of women with the use of guys. In the end though I'd like to see the genders not being segregated so much so a term that encompasses all I see as a good thing.

That it was a masculine term first is rather an inevitability and I can't quite get worked up about it. Bigger fish to fry.

Silvercatowner Mon 25-May-15 08:18:19

I have a colleague who refers to us as 'guys'. I hate it.

bikeandrun Mon 25-May-15 08:18:42

Its quite useful for working with groups, especially young people. I don't like the term girls for women over 16. I think it has become a fairly gender neutral, age neutral harmless way of attracting a groups attention. Language is fluid and some Americanisms are great.

AbsoluteGonk Mon 25-May-15 08:21:35

It irks me too therefore YANBU as I am never unreasonable

Can I also add uni to the list of irksome words. Just say university for heavens sake!

PrettyInPinkPan Mon 25-May-15 08:28:04

Well, as a sort of balancer I tend to refer to any group of males as 'girls'. Just slightly amuses me as I go through my day.

DeidreChambersWhatACoincidence Mon 25-May-15 08:31:31

It makes me clench a bit too. Especially used in restaurants by the waiter/waitress. It sounds like we're children on an outing. I almost expect to be given a balloon at the end.

DeidreChambersWhatACoincidence Mon 25-May-15 08:33:16

I do rather like 'ladies' though (for a group of women obviously).

Andcake Mon 25-May-15 08:35:16

Hate it - too american, too patronising.

Hissy Mon 25-May-15 08:40:01

Hear hear! Loathe it!

Seriouslyffs Mon 25-May-15 08:45:30

What's the alternative? I hate hate hate hate 'ladies'
I email "Dear 'fellow team members'" 'hello all' and shout 'come and eat people' to my family but 'guys' is fine for groups in an informal setting.

Madeyemoodysmum Mon 25-May-15 08:47:04

Well. I never realised guys was so hated. I use it for my kids sometimes. Doesn't bother me if I hear it at all. Language changes.
If they were using
"Hey fuckers." I'd understand your reaction.

LemonySmithit Mon 25-May-15 08:47:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntyMag10 Mon 25-May-15 08:48:16

Can't say it bothers me in the slightest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now