...to be getting more angry by the minute!

(35 Posts)
MrsSippy Sat 23-May-15 18:11:10

I was outside this morning doing a bit of work in the garden when one of my neighbours came over for a chat (not a regular thing, we're not really each other's cup of tea!!)

She asked me if I'd met any of the new neighbours yet, as we have three new families moved into the street. I said I'd not seen them at all, she said that she hadn't either - all fair enough so far! Then she told me that 'Sue' (another neighbour) had told her that none of them had put any money in the Christian Aid envelopes that she took round last week, and that she was 'disgusted', and why couldn't they even put in 50p like Fred and Wilma did!!!

I'm bloody raging here, but OH seems very nonplussed so I'm wondering if it's just me??

Justusemyname Sat 23-May-15 18:13:50

What are you angry about?confused

MissDemelzaCarne Sat 23-May-15 18:13:54

I'd be irritated but I don't understand why you're "bloody raging"? confused

Icimoi Sat 23-May-15 18:14:12

Angry that the new neighbours didn't contribute, or angry that Sue has been checking up on what people contributed and broadcasting the details? If the latter, YANBU.

chippednailvarnish Sat 23-May-15 18:15:46

What did Barney and Betty think?

MakeItRain Sat 23-May-15 18:15:50

I don't think I'd be "raging". But I'd have been a bit taken aback. I probably would have just said "maybe they give to their own charities" and changed the subject.

alicemalice Sat 23-May-15 18:16:54

Sounds like quite an angry neighbourhood, all things told.

smile

fearandloathinginambridge Sat 23-May-15 18:18:12

I assume you are cross that she is gossiping about new neighbours. I get where you are coming from but it's not worth raging over.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 23-May-15 18:19:27

confused

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 23-May-15 18:19:42

Bloody raging? OP, you need to chill.

Charis1 Sat 23-May-15 18:19:58

what a complete non issue

MrsSippy Sat 23-May-15 18:20:59

yeah sorry, bloody angry that she's broadcasting the details of what people have put in the charity envelopes - not just the ones that didn't contribute but the amount that those who did.

It just seems a shitty thing to and I'm bloody sure that was all nosey neighbour came over to gossip about.

Alicemalice - it's certainly a bit toxic for sure!

Justusemyname Sat 23-May-15 18:23:17

How pathetic

blankgaze Sat 23-May-15 18:38:36

yeah sorry, bloody angry that she's broadcasting the details of what people have put in the charity envelopes - not just the ones that didn't contribute but the amount that those who did.

If you are 100% sure she's opened the envelopes and counted everyone's individual contribution then broadcast that info, let the charity know what she's done.

ItsAllKickingOffPru Sat 23-May-15 18:39:31

Is it Christian Aid Week? I haven't had my envelope to throw in the bin.

rallytog1 Sat 23-May-15 18:40:09

'Sue' is very out of line. CAW volunteer collectors aren't supposed to open the envelopes, and even if they're on the team that does open the envelopes and count the money, they shouldn't be sharing details of who contributed what - that's basic data protection.

I can see why you're angry. If you know who organises your local CAW collection, you should let them know that details of people's giving is being shared. Sue may need a little bit of 'education'.

londonrach Sat 23-May-15 18:43:48

Im shocked if she opened them as nothing to stop her taken some money from each envelope. This needs reported to the charity involved.

BastardGoDarkly Sat 23-May-15 18:44:42

That must be the lamest but of gossip I've ever heard grin tell her if she must come round spouting gossip, make it the 'whos been dogging/swinging' variety.

CruncherOfCrisps Sat 23-May-15 18:53:10

Chipped I think I just inhaled a passing fly laughing at that [has coughing fit] grin

chippednailvarnish Sat 23-May-15 18:54:23

wink

Topseyt Sat 23-May-15 19:11:03

I'm a bit miffed that I haven't had my Christian Aid envelope for the recycling bin.

It's a non-issue anyway. I can't get worked up over it. Certainly not raging about it. Mind you, if you listen to MN then there are people who apparently "rage" over just about anything and it can't do their sanity much good.

ImperialBlether Sat 23-May-15 19:23:42

Oh for god's sake, it's not against the Data Protection Act!!!

The envelopes don't even contain the name of the contributor - how can it be against the DPA?

VelvetRose Sat 23-May-15 19:23:52

I would think someone was a bit of a cow if they gossiped about something like that.

Theycallmemellowjello Sat 23-May-15 19:28:49

How weird, yes I'd be very freaked out if it turned out neighbours were speculating and gossiping about supposed charitable contributions. I'd limit contact to the bear minimum.

rallytog1 Sat 23-May-15 20:05:10

The envelopes DO contain the person's name, if they gift aid it, which the majority of people do.

And the collector isn't supposed to open the envelopes - the only way they could know if the envelope is empty is if they looked inside it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now