To request to see a doctor?

(5 Posts)
IDcode Sat 23-May-15 15:42:13

My GP surgery has a children's hour every day 4-5. Due to having this hour available you cannot ever make an appointment for a child. You have to sit and wait your turn.

The GPs rota who's on duty. Up until recently 2 GPs were on duty, but it's now changed to one GP and one nurse practitioner. Which one you see is pot luck based on where you are in the queue and which one is first available and calls you in. The GP changes but it is always the same nurse practitioner.

Last time we went we saw the nurse practitioner who wasn't filling me with confidence and finished the consultation leaving my doc very worried and unreassured as she said "I don't always pick up on everything right way including when my own child had appendicitis, they never let me forget that."

Well my doc hasn't forgotten that either. I need to take herto the doc on Tues for ongoing issue but she doesn't want to see the nurse and I understand why.

Would I be unreasonable to say I am prepared or sit and wait longer but want yo see the doc (whichever one it is) rather than the nurse?

And explain why if they refuse initially?

IDcode Sat 23-May-15 15:43:13

Sorry for the typos hope it makes sense.

WashingUpFairy Sun 24-May-15 14:23:19

I'd insist on the Dr as well I think.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 24-May-15 14:28:03

I would too. I think you can refuse to be seen by someone, but don't quote me on it

PtolemysNeedle Sun 24-May-15 14:34:54

I think it depends on what you are you having the appointment for. If you genuinely think that the ongoing problem is something that needs to be seen by a doctor, then insist on seeing one. But if the problem is something that you'd usually be happy to have seen by a nurse, then see the nurse. If you're not happy with what she says, then ask to see the doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now