Noisy music coming from local pub

(41 Posts)
Selks Fri 22-May-15 23:15:26

Not so much AIBU, more ATBU (are they being unreasonable).
I live next to a country pub, along with a few other houses, on the edge of a village.
Tonight the pub put up a marquee in their garden and have had a night of live bands playing in the marquee. Normally if the pub has live music they hold indoors, but not tonight.
So it's very loud and noisy and doesn't show any signs of letting up.
I'm thinking 11.15 pm is pretty late to have loud outdoor bands playing where it is in close proximity to other houses, or am I wrong?
I'm not fussed for myself but feel for my elderly neighbours next door. I don't plan on complaining because they've never done this before, but wondered if people thought the pub WBU or whether it's ok at this time of night?

Selks Fri 22-May-15 23:17:14

To give context to how noisy it is, I can hear all the lyrics, and if using earphones can still hear the heavy beat of the music

Selks Fri 22-May-15 23:18:06

Might not be so bad if the music wasn't so shite.

Agrestic Fri 22-May-15 23:19:40

Yabu. You purchased a house next to a pub... what did you expect!?

Tulipblank Fri 22-May-15 23:20:19

We live in the same sort of area. Right opposite the local pub, elderly neighbours etc. they have live bands once every few months. It's annoying, but kind of comes with the territory if you live near to a pub. I don't think they're being unreasonable if it's only once in a blue moon.

ilovesooty Fri 22-May-15 23:22:02

I don't think they're being all that unreasonable. It's a pub, it's a bank holiday weekend and it's not all that late under the circumstances.

Shinyshoes2 Fri 22-May-15 23:24:35

Don't they have to stop it at 11.pm I'm sure there's a law against it going past that time if it's near residential housing

Selks Fri 22-May-15 23:24:35

How am I being unreasonable, Agrestic? I'm not going to complain. I'm only interested in people's opinions re the time.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Fri 22-May-15 23:26:11

We have had this problem, the council advised us to keep a diary as they won't act on one event.

CycleChic Fri 22-May-15 23:27:04

it depends on how late the music goes.

Hoppityhippityhop Fri 22-May-15 23:34:31

I don't think you are being unreasonable. Why does the business get to disturb all it's neighbours? The landlord knew he was taking on a pub in a residential area so he should demonstrate a little respect. 11pm is plenty late enough for music to finish.

abigamarone Fri 22-May-15 23:41:46

Was the pub there when you bought the house? Surely noise is something you'd consider being a factor. So no, I don't think a pub is unreasonable having a band night on a bank holiday weekend.

AuntyMag10 Fri 22-May-15 23:45:59

Don't be miserable, it's a long weekend!

msgrinch Fri 22-May-15 23:46:31

This could have been my local tonight, good luck on Sunday! grin

Selks Fri 22-May-15 23:50:17

The pub was here, and I am tolerant of the noise generally. We get noisy drunk people shouting at one am sometimes, that's just life living next to a pub. And I like the pub, I go there myself sometimes, the band nights they hold indoors can be good.
I am just surprised at them holding loud bands outside so late.

The bands have stopped playing but they have put recorded music on in the marquee now, at the same volume. Ten to midnight now. Getting a tad annoying.

Notcontent Fri 22-May-15 23:51:19

I think they should have stopped at 10 pm.

LAGWAFIS Fri 22-May-15 23:51:34

Personally I like hearing people have fun. I've no tolerance for shouting and swearing but I don't mind music / singing / laughter

You're neighbors are probably hard if hearing and oblivious

LAGWAFIS Fri 22-May-15 23:52:21

Your

Obvs

ilovesooty Fri 22-May-15 23:52:48

I think 10pm would be early for a normal Friday let alone a bank holiday.

hamiltoes Fri 22-May-15 23:56:29

No I don't think its unreasonable if its once in a while. Every weekend could get annoying. As most people have said kinda comes with the territory if you live beside a pub.

Selks Fri 22-May-15 23:57:21

The context is quiet (normally) country village here, not busy loud 24 hour city centre.

Selks Fri 22-May-15 23:59:08

Why would my neighbours necessarily be hard of hearing, LAG? Their hearing is normal.

SabrinnaOfDystopia Sat 23-May-15 00:05:27

Yeah, we also live next to a quiet village pub in a semi rural area - and weirdly they also have a band on (are we neighbours??) It's just piped down - but it was very loud earlier. We normally are fairly soundproofed, and don't hear general noise, but we could hear the music tonight. It is very rare though - a couple of times a year. But annoying when it happens - I feel your pain.

I honestly think the pub would go bust if it didn't hold the odd event like this though - it's empty half the time. Do you know the landlord? We are on good terms with the Landlord of ours, and it does help. She knocks on our door if they are having an event, and if she keeps the doors and windows closed it really makes a difference to the noise levels. She nice, and patrols the outside and makes sure people aren't shouting etc. It does help.

The5DayChicken Sat 23-May-15 00:07:55

They ANBU. In fact, if you live that close to a pub that has a decent amount of outdoor space and this is the first time anything like this has happened, I think they've been downright considerate.

SabrinnaOfDystopia Sat 23-May-15 00:11:47

Btw - "don't move to a house next to a pub" is rather nonsensical, most pubs have houses round them, and there are laws regarding environmental noise that landlords have to abide by. Just because you live near a pub, doesn't mean you've signed up to accept unreasonably high noise levels.

OP - you can complain to the council, but my advice would be that you get on friendly terms with the landlord so you can discuss it reasonably with them - they are your neighbours after all. I just try and relate it neighbours having a loud party or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now