to put newly potty trained ds in a nappy for long drive?

(20 Posts)
JustOneMoreSliceOfCake Thu 21-May-15 21:08:43

Or will it just set him back? We've got a 2 hour drive tomorrow, mostly motorway so not much chance to stop and ds has only been trained for about 3 weeks.
WIBU to just put him in a nappy for the journey? Don't want to confuse him but can't see another option. Ds won't wee in a bottle or anything (I've tried).

Kasterborous Thu 21-May-15 21:11:38

I don't think you are being unreasonable. We were in a similar situation with DD when we had to go on a bus and I put her a nappy on. She didn't wee in it in the end anyway and it didn't 'regress her at all.'

meglet Thu 21-May-15 21:11:42

Yanbu. I put the dc's in pull ups for long car journeys in the early post-pt days.

I sill stopped every 90 mins but it meant there wouldn't be a problem if they had an accident..

Smartiepants79 Thu 21-May-15 21:12:11

If he will wear it I'd do it. It's exactly what we have done with both of our girls.

RoganJosh Thu 21-May-15 21:15:40

We've always done this. They seem to understand why so it doesn't confuse them.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 21-May-15 21:15:49

I did with with both of my DC. DS was reliable from day one, and didn't need the pull-up, but DD took a little longer to get to grips with it and a nappy kept her (and her car seat) dry when travelling longer than an hour

Princesspond Thu 21-May-15 21:16:12

I always put mine in pull ups for car and for plane journeys, just incase. I think we always managed to stop / get to the toilet but it made me calmer.

toomanypasswords Thu 21-May-15 21:16:38

YANBU but he may not want to wear one. We went on a 2 1/2 hour (pretty much all motorway) drive about a week after my DD was potty-trained last summer. She flatly refused to wear a nappy, so I folded a towel under her in her car seat just in case. She asked to stop once (typically when we were stuck in traffic) but she was able to hold on and we came off the motorway at the next junction so that she could use the potty. I did manage to put her in a pull-up for the remainder of the journey but she refused to use it and held on until we reached our destination to use the toilet again.

hotfuzzra Thu 21-May-15 21:17:15

I have zero experience with potty training but if you didn't want to put him in a nappy you could put some of those maternity pad things (the ones like puppy training pads, for when your waters go) on his seat?
I don't know if this would work or it would interfere with the child seat in which case ignore me I'm an amateur.

JustOneMoreSliceOfCake Thu 21-May-15 21:18:37

Thanks everyone will put him in a pull up then smile he's still only quite young, not 2 until next month so I doubt he will be too bothered about the pull up anyway. Just didn't want to confuse him.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 21-May-15 21:20:10

I used to put the nappy on over pants. It means that if there is an event they need to be changed but they feel they're not back in a nappy because they've got pants on.

rollmeover Thu 21-May-15 21:28:28

Put the potty in the boot, make him go before you leave stop half way (just at the side of the road). No fluids on the journey.
When my dd was potty training she would have been devastated if she had an accident/been put in a nappy or pull but she was over 2 and a half so more "aware" than your dc. If he isnt bothered with the pull up then put it on.

Reignbeau Thu 21-May-15 21:41:14

We used to buy those disposable bed mats and use one to protect the car seat instead of using a pull up.

JustOneMoreSliceOfCake Thu 21-May-15 21:44:31

Thanks for the ideas ladies will see how a pull up goes down and go from there. Ds is dry through the night but still wears one for bed just incase so it shouldn't be a big problem to get him in one smile

WowOoo Thu 21-May-15 21:47:43

I had to do very much longer drives when mine were potty training.
We kept up with it (going to the toilet as needed) and used towels underneath his trousers for when I was brave enough for no nappy.

I think there was one minor incident. No setbacks. I do remember feeling more stressed than usual though!

WowOoo Thu 21-May-15 21:48:43

By underneath his trousers I mean a small towel to protect the carseat.

Marvel101 Thu 21-May-15 21:56:07

I'd put a pull up on him - but bring the potty and stop every hour

Put a bag (with no holes) lining the potty so you can dispose of anything properly

DisappointedOne Thu 21-May-15 21:58:28

I stopped at every motorway service station available when I had a 450 mile drive a week or 2 into DD's potty learning!

Picklesauage Thu 21-May-15 22:04:14

I would say put potty in car and put one of those absorbent bed pads, or disposable change mat things pampers do, on the car seat.

Simply for the mental thing of 'I only wear nappies in bed'.

Feminine Thu 21-May-15 22:08:10

I did it with my three. With pull ups. We called it the "just in case nappy"
I don't think they ever needed it, but we felt a lot better.
Especially with dd as we lived in rural America. Nothing was a quick hop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now