To be fed up of my DM taking her bad moods out on me?

(7 Posts)
EmeraldThief Wed 20-May-15 12:43:11

My DM has always been one of these people who's moods change at the drop of a hat. She can be fine one minute and in an epic sulk the next, she can't deal with any kind of stress or anything not going her way. These sulks can last anything from a few hours to a few days. We are expected to tolerate this.

Instead of saying "oh I've had a really bad day today because this, this and this has happened" she will jump down people's throats, bite their heads off, huff and puff, sigh slam cupboard doors etc.

I don't think this is an acceptable way to behave and I've started challenging it now. But this often makes Her worse and she looks at you in this really hurt and wounded way like you've really slighted her, she does tend to apolgise for it after now, but didn't before I started challenging her.

AIBU to think this is an unacceptable way to treat your loved ones and she should learn to manage her moods better. They are her problem not mine.

LoveAnchor Wed 20-May-15 12:49:55

You do need to confront this, but it is hard work, you have my sympathy. Can you distance yourself from her presence? Once in a blue moon it might not be that bad.

EmeraldThief Wed 20-May-15 13:55:40

It's very hard work. I've tried to detach a bit and let it wash over me, but it's not always easy.

Hissy Wed 20-May-15 15:14:22

We are expected to tolerate this

But you don't have to. Repeat it over and over that she has no right to treat you like this and that she has no right to take stuff out on you.

motherofmonster Wed 20-May-15 15:20:02

I have a pita Aunt like this. I now just say.
"you seem a bit stressed. I will give you some time to work through it" and leave... run if you can smile

motherofmonster Wed 20-May-15 15:21:18

sorry posted to soon.
This means that you dont need to be around her , and over time she will learn that you are not going to stay and be used as a mental punching bag.

Hope2003 Wed 20-May-15 19:37:48

Agree with above posts smile Take yourself out of the situation and give her space .TBH ignoring that type of behaviour "takes the wind out of her sails " if you know what I mean .She's like a child don't feed the bad behaviour .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now