To hate house and car alarms

(7 Posts)
Marvel101 Tue 19-May-15 08:35:45

Last night I was woken about 3am with an annoying house alarm going off for about 30 minutes. Now this morning I can hear a car alarm which has been on for ages

No one calls the police or goes to investigate when they hear these alarms. They just make people angry

They should shut off after 5 mins max - or just be banned altogether

Chunkymonkey79 Tue 19-May-15 09:48:58

Well the day that happens would be a field day for burglars and arsonists wouldn't it!

A bit of noise over having my house ransacked or burning down any day.

RightSideOfWrong Tue 19-May-15 09:51:05

My car alarm makes my keys vibrate, so I know it's mine. Best idea ever.

House alarms...I do think it'd be better if they hooked up to something, so they didn't just go off for ages, but all evidence so far shows that they deter thieves who aren't sure if someone will respond. So they serve a purpose, even if they irritate you.

It's always worse in the night though. It feels like it goes on forever.

shattered77 Tue 19-May-15 10:01:02

I can't sleep without a burglar alarm, as before having one I was burgled a lot. However, alarm owners do need to be responsible. The new house alarms only go off for ten minutes, and our neighbours can ring family who can our access property.

shattered77 Tue 19-May-15 10:01:53

Also our burglar alarm rings us!

mangoespadrille Tue 19-May-15 10:06:16

Alarms are basically to try and make your home less attractive to rob than your neighbours', just like security lights and CCTV. The more anti-burglary stuff you have than your neighbours, the less likely you are to be robbed.

YANBU, they are more to deflect burglars' attention from your house on to your neighbours than actually stop a burglary in progress.

Collaborate Tue 19-May-15 10:11:30

An old friend of mine, many moons ago, suffered an alarm in the street going off all week when the owner was away. One morning (and he was the only witness) an irate neighbour from over the road came out with a ladder and a baseball bat. He told the owner when they returned, but refused to divulge the name of the bat wielding hero until years later (owner was suitably embarrassed and apologetic by all accounts).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now