Taking baby with chickenpox to my wedding.

(68 Posts)
Raiderhead Mon 18-May-15 10:41:15

Help! My one year old has just got spots today (suspect chickenpox) and I'm getting married on Saturday! Do I take him with us to the ceremony or hire a babysitter and have him miss out?

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 18-May-15 10:42:41

No, you don't.
He wouldn't remember it anyway and you risk making a lot of people v ill.

EeyoresTail Mon 18-May-15 10:43:22

Hire a babysitter unfortunately I'd say

PrincessOfChina Mon 18-May-15 10:43:53

There's a reasonable chance the spots will be healed over by the weekend in my experience. DD's were dry after a couple of days.

I'd probably have a babysitter on standby but you should be fine to take him by then.

DPotter Mon 18-May-15 10:43:59

I'm not up to date with the latest info on contagion periods, but whatever you decide your DS wont remember the day so he wont be 'missing out'.

I hope you have a lovely day on Saturday

TiggerLillies Mon 18-May-15 10:44:51

How long does it take the spots to dry over? Might there be hope....

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 18-May-15 10:45:39

I agree as it's 6 days away he will probably no longer be contagious by Sat. He might not look his usual cute self but he will probably be fine.

elderflowergin Mon 18-May-15 10:49:18

Is there anyone who is invited who would be at a risk from catching it, eg someone with leukaemia ? If not then I would still take him, as long as he is not upset/ grumpy with it, he might have scabbed over a bit by then. It's only chicken pox, and I thought they were more contagious just before the spots come out anyway? It depends on the people you have invited really.

Partyringer Mon 18-May-15 10:55:52

If anyone you've invited them comes into contact with someone immunocompromised it could kill them. V sorry but please don't take the baby.

Tonberry Mon 18-May-15 10:57:55

If the spots have scabby over then he's no longer contagious and you'll be fine to take him with you, it takes around 5-7 days for them to scab over so there's a good chance he'll be okay. Probably best to have a babysitter in stand y just in case but fingers crossed they scab quickly smile

BuyMeAPony Mon 18-May-15 10:59:33

I wouldn't take him. He won't remember it. Get dressed up again and get someone to take a lovely photo of the 3 of you when he's better. Hope all else goes well.

crazypuglady Mon 18-May-15 11:06:55

Can I just ask you to think about the staff. I am pregnant and a guest recently put me and my unborn child at risk by bringing in their 'probably not contagious' child to my work. I was immediately sent home leaving the team short staffed. Do you really want that at your wedding?

Nolim Mon 18-May-15 11:10:08

Hire a sitter, it is the responsible thing to do. sorry.

alteredimages Mon 18-May-15 11:11:40

I definitely wouldn't risk it I am afraid. Hire a babysitter and have the photographer take photos of you together at home before or after the ceremony.

5madthings Mon 18-May-15 11:12:17

Hopefully baby will have stabbed over and not be contagious. If not he can't go.

I am facing sane dilemma, getting married on 28th and Ds4(7) and dd(4) have been in contact with someone who then came out in chickenpox, neither have had it. If they get it and have to miss our wedding I abd they will be gutted. Dp and I have been together 17yrs and the wedding is as much for the 5madthings as it is for us.

At least baby's too little to care, though of course you will be upset. Hope they aren't too poorly with it xxc

Tonberry Mon 18-May-15 11:12:57

But if the spots have scabbed over by Saturday he'll no longer be contagious so there'd be no harm in taking him. It's only if the spots haven't scabbed over that the OP would need a babysitter.

Spidergirl2015 Mon 18-May-15 11:13:47

It's normally 5 days for the spits to crust over, so you should be ok. But it's cutting it a bit fine!

5madthings Mon 18-May-15 11:16:07

Scabbed over not stabbed over... You may be Ok in, but book a babysitter just in case.

KERALA1 Mon 18-May-15 11:17:25

Leave at home. Friends of ours were stuck in Lisbon for 5 days after their 1 year old developed cp and they werent allowed on the flight. Just one of those things <spent last week following the 48 hour after vomiting rule DD sick a few times ended up having to have 3 days off school despite being fine!>.

Everybody hates you if they break the rules. They pretend they don't but really they do.

alteredimages Mon 18-May-15 11:18:04

I stand corrected, if the spots are all scabbed over it is fine. But you won't know until perhaps the night before, so it would be a good idea to arrange childcare just in case.

5madthings Mon 18-May-15 11:19:35

If anyone you've invited them comes into contact with someone immunocompromised it could kill them. V sorry but please don't take the baby. no you can't pass it on second hand like that, if the baby gives chickenpox to someone who then themselves passes it on to someone who is immune compromised there could be problems. But only if they themselves haven't had it iyswim. Hopefully baby will not be contagious, but if they are then they cannot go. Even if you kbow all your guests will be fine you don't know that those who work there will be, you can't risk it.

Fingers crossed for you op.

canweseethebunnies Mon 18-May-15 11:20:08

I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that it would be the op's fault if someone who was immuno comprimised died as a result of coming into contact with someone who had come into contact with her ds hmm. Most adults have had cp, so won't be affected. I say that as I sit here in the hospital with my immuno comprimised 7 month old dd. We were supposed to be going to wedding on Saturday, but we won't be because of the situation, and she is not allowed contact with any children at all. It's up to us to take precautions!

It's just as contagious before spots emerge, and probably won't be by Saturday. I don't see the problem if he's scabbed over.

Have you had chicken pox crazy? If so, the risk to you, even when pregnant, is pretty minimal.

jarofpickles Mon 18-May-15 11:21:24

The current guidance is not contagious 5 days after spots coming out regardless of scabbed/not scabbed so will be fine to take on Saturday from spreading it around point of view.

Dakiara Mon 18-May-15 11:27:18

If the wee one is BF, they may just fade away anyway. Hope they're clear for the wedding! :-)

Tonberry Mon 18-May-15 11:34:15

I got sent home from work when I was pregnant due to someone with chickenpox. GP told me that unless I was handling the child or I was in very close proximity then the risk was miniscule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now