I am BU but am also hurt

(11 Posts)
welliesinthespring Sun 17-May-15 10:37:31

I have a friend who is TTC - exciting times. I've just turned 34; she's 34 in August.

She has said loads of stuff about thinking she might have left it too late and not wanting to be an 'older' mum.

I'm single - I'll be well past 35 if I get round to it ever.

Aibu to be a bit hurt?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 17-May-15 10:41:54

A bit, yes, that's how she feels, you don't have to feel the same?

Cabrinha Sun 17-May-15 10:44:56

She's being rude, even if she's entitled to believe that. Why haven't you said "oy love, I'm 34!"

Heatethelastrolo Sun 17-May-15 10:46:33

I'd be hurt too because I'd find that really insensitive. Does she possibly presume that you don't want a family or aren't bothered about it? Or maybe she thinks you might identify in some way as you are both the same age and haven't had a family yet?

She is obviously entitled to have these feelings and concerns but I would be a bit more sensitive when choosing who I said it to if I were her.

welliesinthespring Sun 17-May-15 10:51:00

She knows I'm desperate for a baby. She did apologise when I said (semi jokingly) I was upset.

Cornettoninja Sun 17-May-15 10:59:34

I don't think yabu, especially since you've let her know.

It does depend on the context of the conversation though, if she was talking in a 'does this worry you?' kind of way then maybe you would need to keep a lid on your own insecurities. If it was a train of thought then I reckon it's a classic case of knowing your audience.

You've done her a favour really. She's undoubtly going to meet other mothers and could end up really offending someone with a good ten years on her.

It probably doesn't help she'll be labelled as old on her maternity notes, but thats on a lot of people's nowadays and isn't worth the headspace of worry.

Cabrinha Sun 17-May-15 11:02:34

I don't understand your AIBU then.

She was insensitive.
You told her you were hurt.
She apologised (so validated your feelings of being hurt)

Where is the U bit?

AuntyMag10 Sun 17-May-15 11:03:16

I think yab a bit u. She was probably talking about herself and her apology was just when she remembered your situation. Not everyone is intentionally trying to offend the next person.

Mermaidhair Sun 17-May-15 11:19:00

She may just be caught up in ttc, and didn't really mean to offend you.

Theycallmemellowjello Sun 17-May-15 11:21:34

She is being completely U. I hate it when people that age say things like that when they know that it's completely the norm now for women to be first time mums at 40 and beyond. So rude.

welliesinthespring Sun 17-May-15 11:22:34

I don't know. Suppose it's playing on my mind a bit - am upset because I feel like I'm never going to be a Mum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now