To ask questions of someone selling something in ebay.

(26 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Sun 17-May-15 10:21:41

We were interested on a tent on ebay. Probably would have paid £150-£200 for it so not a trivial amount of money and certainly more than i can afford to waste.

Dp says you should always be able to see it erect (ohh errr) before you buy as it could be broken or mouldy if put away damp.

so with two days to run and us being eager dp messaged the seller and asked if there was a buy it now price abd could we see it before payment.

The reply was thus: There is no buy it now price and i wont be putting it up before selling.

ok fine.

ever cautious i asked dp to ask if we could see it up before we pay if we won the bid.

Got a reply telling us it was best if we didn't bid and he wasn't going to waste his time spending 20 minutes putting up a poxy £100 tent.

I pleaded with my dp to message back with the classic mnet retort but he was spitting teeth and texted how it might have been broken bla bla bla then it didn't send anyway so we just thought ahh fuck it.

aibu to think seller was fucking rude? ok he might have been too busy or something to put tent up bbutno need to be so rude surely? just an explanation "sorry unable to do that" and left us to decide if we wished to buy the tent or not or were we rude to ask?

Linguini Sun 17-May-15 10:27:12

I would not buy this with a response like that.
U r right, it could be bent or have a pole missing.
At the very least the seller should reassure you that it is in good condition.

U get some freaks on ebay. I was sent a barrage of swear words in a reply one time for asking a totally normal Q.

bec3105 Sun 17-May-15 10:31:01

Extremely rude.

If you're desperate for this tent (I'd be reluctant to give them my hard earned money with that attitude) then pay through paypal to give you soon come back if it is damaged or anything.

AuntyMag10 Sun 17-May-15 10:31:54

Yanbu, he was very rude. If he really wanted it sold he would have had pictures with it erected because that's what most people would want to know anyway.

bec3105 Sun 17-May-15 10:31:59

Meant he was rude not you just wanted to clarify!

RiskManagement Sun 17-May-15 10:32:12

Tell him if he had a better attitude it might have been a £200 tent...

But don't buy it.

lljkk Sun 17-May-15 10:32:28

yes rude, probably is poor quality item, buy elsewhere!

DisappointedOne Sun 17-May-15 10:34:15

bec3105 paypal offers no protection to sellers for collected items so they'd be unlikely to accept it.

blankgaze Sun 17-May-15 10:39:55

The seller's response would make me assume there was something wrong with the tent.

Why would the seller NOT show photos of it taken from inside and out if there was nothing wrong with it, surely that would be better for selling. If it's the cost of adding photos to the ebay listing, then he could have emailed them to you as requested.

I reckon it's either damaged, mouldy or both.

Feminine Sun 17-May-15 10:40:01

You got a 'weird one' for sure.
I've been on eBay years, they pop up from time to time don't they?
Recently l received a message like this:

HI!
THE WAY IT WORKS HERE IS YOU GET YOUR ITEM. THEN YOU LEAVE ME FEEDBACK.

that was it .

I have 100% feedback, with 890. I think l've figured it out now...

No, a fool like that is not worth your money.

Cherryapple1 Sun 17-May-15 10:40:10

If he seller is this obstructive before purchase they will be even worse afterwards. Buy elsewhere.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 17-May-15 10:43:33

oh definitely not going to buy it now. probably just buy a new one tbh.

YANAgurl1973 Sun 17-May-15 10:59:50

I would reply something like "ok I'll assume its faulty then and take my money elsewhere"

PinkParsnips Sun 17-May-15 11:04:50

so rude.
I only found out recently that you can't get a refund from on ebay on a faulty item that you collected as the expectation is that you will check the item before paying so you definitely weren't unreasonable to ask.

Cherryapple1 Sun 17-May-15 11:21:53

yes you can get a refund if you pay by paypal but you need to return with online tracking. And no sensible seller will accept paypal for a collected item.

blueshoes Sun 17-May-15 11:50:02

Seller is definitely incredibly rude or hiding something. What is his feedback like?

FlabulousChix Sun 17-May-15 12:17:34

Items paid for by PayPal and collected are not covered by the eBay guarantee. It's cash only for collection items but you could have insisted on it being put up when you collected

sourdrawers Sun 17-May-15 12:21:18

Yes feedback should give you an idea of what this person is like. Thing is, if it has a defect unmentioned in listing, you can always give him negative feedback. This is quite a big deal on eBay as I'm sure you know, though it won't necessarily get your money back. I'd write a message to seller saying you felt their message very rude and that you will not be bidding!

I'd steer clear if I were you just out of principle. There'll be def' be other tents ..

Cherryapple1 Sun 17-May-15 12:27:25

If a buyer collects and pays by paypal they can open a not as described case but will need to return an item fully tracked to get their refund.

A seller has no protection though if a buyer pays by paypal.

deliciousbuttercups Sun 17-May-15 12:32:49

Very rude.

I purchased a skirt once described in the description as in excellent condition, when it arrived it had a huge rip in it and was obviously unwearable. So I left feedback reflecting this, and she had the nerve to write on mine something along the lines of... 'buyer knew it wasn't in good condition but left bad feedback regardless.' hmm

londonrach Sun 17-May-15 12:32:49

I wouldnt buy from him as suspect tent is mouldy and pole is bent. If not why didnt he take a photo of it erect!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 17-May-15 12:40:33

to be fair there was a photo but clearly not recent as on a holiday site

Purplepixiedust Sun 17-May-15 12:49:29

People who can't be bothered or are rude will make less money/sales. Just take your custom elsewhere.

I wouldn't buy a tent from someone who replied as he has done. I know not everyone has room to put a tent up at home but he could at least unfold it and let you check it isn't moldy and all the poles are ok.

Not every one wants to offer buy it now. That part is fair enough. However you should always inspect on collection and if not as described you are entitled to cancel the transaction.

NorahDentressangle Sun 17-May-15 12:50:06

Buy something cheap off him and leave a crap feedback grin

Cherryapple1 Sun 17-May-15 12:55:20

That is auction wrecking Norah and not allowed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now