Wanted to charge money for countersigning passport

(94 Posts)
superoz Fri 15-May-15 12:46:37

Had to do do new passports for my two dc, so I asked dh if he could ask one of his colleagues to countersign their applications. He is a professional himself, it's a small business with only 4 people in the shop at one time.

He came back from work and said he had seriously peeved his colleague off as she was expecting to be paid for countersigning. This is someone he has worked with for more than 12 years, she is churchgoing, sends us Christmas cards and gave gifts when our dc were born! dh said they are his colleagues not friends, everyone is just out for themselves in his line of work and apparently it should go through the till.

I was seriously gobsmacked by this shock. They're going rate is £85 per passport which is more than the application fee itself! Where I used to work, pre-children we used to sign passports for each other and never expected anything in return. In the end she did actually sign them for free but rather grudgingly. Is this what people expect these days?

AnyFucker Fri 15-May-15 12:47:59

no, she is a piece of work

and a church goer you say...nothing like Christian values eh

ClareAbshire Fri 15-May-15 12:48:36

Both DH and I are able to countersign passports and do it all the time for people- would never dream of charging. Am shock at this!

balletgirlmum Fri 15-May-15 12:48:50

Doctors etc charge but I've never known work colleagues charge.

A school mum who is a solicitor signed mine & the childrens

Polyethyl Fri 15-May-15 12:49:22

That's hilariously bonkers!
We're all professionals in our office- so can sign each other's forms. No one has ever expected anything other than a thank you.

iwantavuvezela Fri 15-May-15 12:49:41

No, absolutely not! I have had to have my daughter's passport countersigned and it would never occur to me to pay the person.

The only time I would expect a "fee" is if I asked someone within a professional function to do it (e.g. a magistrate; post office) and they charged a fee .... but not a personal fee for a signature!

badtime Fri 15-May-15 12:50:03

I hope not!

Actually, I have never heard of that. What would her hourly rate be? confused

gobbin Fri 15-May-15 12:50:43

Wow I've missed a trick all these years then, I've countersigned loads for free!

Seems a bit of a cheek, it takes 10mins tops to C/S

wigglesrock Fri 15-May-15 12:51:38

Christ, have I read it wrong they were expecting £170 for signing two passports? My husband is a passport signer, I think someone bought him a bottle of wine to say thanks a while back. He was chuffed, looks like he missed a trick.

BrianButterfield Fri 15-May-15 12:51:50

Seriously weird. I do it for the odd friend and would never dream of charging - in fact rocked tea and cakes for them at my house when they came round to get it done! I think this proves the old adage that people will always, somehow, tell you what they are really like.

ShaynePunim Fri 15-May-15 12:52:16

The solicitor across the road from my office does that sort of thing for a fiver!

ChampagneBabyCakes Fri 15-May-15 12:52:26

Wow - I hope he didn't pay. I've never heard of anyone charging before!

BloggersNetwork Fri 15-May-15 12:53:04

Unbelievable
I have been asked many a time and charging has never even crossed my mind
I have asked other colleagues too and I have never been asked for anything!!!

MaxPepsi Fri 15-May-15 12:53:29

I've never been charged and DH who can countersign has never charged anyone.
It wouldn't even occur to him and I'd be mightily pissed off with him if he did.

I'd have told her not to bother and found someone else to do it.

Koalafications Fri 15-May-15 12:54:18

Hmm, I wonder if she declares this income to HMRC.

ReallyTired Fri 15-May-15 12:55:29

I think it shows you your friends are sadly. I am lucky that my next door neighbour is a headteacher and she signed my daughter's passport. Is there a teacher at your childs' school who could help you?

BitOutOfPractice Fri 15-May-15 12:56:23

Oh lord I am amazed at this. I sign all the time. I might draw up a pricelist! shock

PuppyMonkey Fri 15-May-15 12:57:48

Excuse me you lot, can you all pay me £85 for writing this post. Cheques preferred. Thanks grin

Babyroobs Fri 15-May-15 12:59:13

How ridiculous. I have signed many of these for people and it would never cross my mind to charge people !

MyballsareSandy Fri 15-May-15 12:59:18

Wow! Unbelievable, silly mare. I'm just about to renew ours, hope my work don't pull a trick like this!

FirstWeTakeManhattan Fri 15-May-15 12:59:35

Wow! Both me and DH can countersign but would never even think of charging. Poor show.

ender Fri 15-May-15 12:59:40

I used to sign passports (HCP in Child Health) but it got to be a hassle as not just a signature. You have to make sure you've known the parent long enough if a baby so have to look at records, check the form, write on back of photo, and put your details + passport number. Its hard to refuse so was pleased when policy came out not to do it any more.
I can understand why people charge.

BabyGiraffeOnIce Fri 15-May-15 12:59:47

ha! I wish I'd had charged this when I did 3 the other week, would have sorted my spends for holiday out nicely.

No I don't think it is the norm to charge. I was given a bottle of wine by a friend as a thankyou for doing hers and her 2 kids though.

HighwayDragon Fri 15-May-15 13:00:19

Our gp charges £20 to countersign, 85 is just ridiculous!

BarbarianMum Fri 15-May-15 13:00:36

shock

Dread to think what I owe my neighbour then!

But then, what could you possibly charge for something that takes, oh, 30 seconds. Tell your dh to give her a quid and tell her to fuck off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now