To wonder who paid for their trip to Mallorca?

(31 Posts)
RiskManagement Fri 15-May-15 11:44:33

Flip Flop Police grin

ineedabodytransplant Fri 15-May-15 17:03:23

Thought Police forces were short staffed? My colleague had his motorbike stolen the other day, he called the Police who said to call back the next day as there was no-one there to deal with it there and then.

Guess we know why

todayisayesterdaystomorrow Fri 15-May-15 17:07:38

Yabu

mamababa Fri 15-May-15 17:08:18

In a whole county, 7 were off on holiday/days off at the same time. Unbelievable, outrageous even.

mamababa Fri 15-May-15 17:10:06

They will have paid. The police don't get anything free

ChuffinAda Fri 15-May-15 17:13:36

They or their sponsors will have paid

The time will be a rest days or annual leave. Although some parts of the public sector give you time if you're representing your country in a sport

dougierose Fri 15-May-15 22:26:12

i have NO idea what you are talking about.

worridmum Fri 15-May-15 23:50:17

yes ineedabody policemen work 52 weeks of the year and do not get the legal requirement for time off no no they are short staffed so everyone has too work all the time.....

Get a grip please

TenerifeSea Sat 16-May-15 11:18:20

Do the police force not get annual leave then?

pieceofpurplesky Sat 16-May-15 11:22:57

Yay Gods, representing the country in their own time and being heroes in flip flips. Flog them publicly please! hmm

straighttothepoint Sat 16-May-15 20:11:41

FFS, how pathetic. Yabu.

Optimist1 Sat 16-May-15 20:47:34

So who do you suspect paid for the trip, OP??

RagstheInvincible Sat 16-May-15 21:28:08

I imagine the taxpayer through the medium of ..... what's it called again ..... oh yes, their wages!

Frankly if one of my nearest and dearest had been among those saved, I wouldn't have cared if they'd robbed the Boot & Shoe Fund to pay for it.

Ziggyzoom Sat 16-May-15 21:35:12

They would have paid for it themselves. They may have been granted a couple of extra days leave for representing their force, but even this has been clamped down on. I am so sad that there are people who think so badly of the police that they even want to spin such a positive story into a negative.

Any wonder I am looking for a new job. sad

OverAndAbove Sat 16-May-15 21:46:15

I thought this was going to be a Dax thread wink

Pipkinhartley Sun 17-May-15 11:55:51

As Ziggyzoom says, my experience of police/ emergency service sports events is that the participants fund themselves and you take the time off as annual leave ( if you were due to be on duty).

Thankfully the officers concerned were there to deal with the incident, odd to read the story and then wonder who funded their trip.

HeadOfBetter Sun 17-May-15 12:00:07

How sad.

Trumpity Sun 17-May-15 12:45:08

I don't think YABU. I don't want them spending their wages (that I have paid through taxes) on representing the force at sport. I also think they shouldn't be allowed that much time off.
No wonder this country is in such a state. grin

KurriKurri Sun 17-May-15 13:55:41

I would imagine police forces would be even more short staffed if officers were never allowed any time off. No one would join. Then we'd all have to look for our own motorbikes, and deal with our own RTAs.

Does anyone honestly think that people work more efficiently if they don't have holidays and days off? Why should the police be treated differently from anyone else who works.

And in fact as is turns out, even when not on duty they all 'worked' by helping in an accident. Risking injury or even death to help the driver. I wonder if they demanded overtime for the time spent helping those people? - I doubt it.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sun 17-May-15 14:00:36

YABU

CamelHump Sun 17-May-15 14:02:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChuffinAda Sun 17-May-15 14:04:13

They don't even switch off when they're retired kurri my dad retired over 20 years ago but last year was first on scene at a fatal RTA and he managed the whole scene until the emergency services turned up.

He's my personal hero

TheFairyCaravan Sun 17-May-15 14:05:25

Who cares?

TheFairyCaravan Sun 17-May-15 14:07:29

chuffin that "who cares" wasn't to you, btw, it was in response to the OP. I have the greatest respect for the emergency services, my dad was a fireman who has not yet switched off!

KurriKurri Sun 17-May-15 14:09:28

Good for him Chuffinada - he sounds like a real hero, you must be very proud of him. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now