Wedding presents - evening do

(19 Posts)
JumpRope Tue 12-May-15 20:31:17

Been invited to a few evening dos of weddings this summer being a second class citizen. Wibu to ask for the wedding list details as they haven't said anything about gifts, just give some cash in an envelope, or what?

FadedRed Tue 12-May-15 20:39:22

If you consider it a 'second class' invitation, perhaps you should graciously decline it in time for the happy couple to invite someone else who would be happy to be asked? like a real friend
You could ask them what they would like, or give them some money/vouchers as you prefer.

NickyEds Tue 12-May-15 20:42:55

I think if people are expecting gifts and have a wedding list then they include it in the invite don't they? Without one I'd say cash is fine.

JumpRope Tue 12-May-15 20:43:28

Oh, it's just our in joke. They are both having small ceremonies and big parties, no problem!

meditrina Tue 12-May-15 20:47:33

Either ask them, and then get them something they want.

Or post them a cheque about a week before the ceremony (far less faff all round that taking stuff to the event).

Littlemonstersrule Tue 12-May-15 20:48:45

For evening only, just do wine. A gift should not be expected from guests that are not deemed important enough to share the actual wedding and vows with.

MsVestibule Tue 12-May-15 20:51:14

nickyeds putting a gift list in an invitation is incredibly rude and presumptuous!

I don't think it makes any difference whether you're an evening guest or not - either way, you can ask them if they have a list and buy a cheapish thing off that, or put cash in an envelope.

expatinscotland Tue 12-May-15 20:56:43

Bottle of fizz.

ilovemargaretatwood8931 Tue 12-May-15 21:07:14

nicky and msvestibule have brought up an issue here- I know lots of people include a gift list in with their invitations, but I've been told by others that it's rude and grabby- not everyone's on the same page with this.

OP, I'd just enquire if they have a list, and then get them something off that, or alternatively just put some money in a card- £10 or £20 (or more if you are generous/ rich/ feeling very kind!)

Mostlyjustaluker Tue 12-May-15 21:11:23

We asked for cash, an mn crime, from day time guests but did not mention anything for evening guests. I would take a bottle pressco.

ThatEffingCreakyFloor Tue 12-May-15 21:17:34

This is an interesting one for me - we've just been invited to a wedding evening do (neighbours, don't know them v well but think it's jolly nice of them to ask us). I was surprised to get a gift 'request' (contribution to holiday fund) as I've never had this with just an evening invite before. I thought presents were really just a thing for the 'proper' guests & perhaps just a bottle of fizz & card for the evening type thing. Am I behind the times or have I only been to the evening dos of non-greedy people before? confused

NickyEds Tue 12-May-15 21:25:32

Ilovemargaret Nearly every wedding I've been to has included a wedding list in with the invitation and usually a list of hotels!! On one in particular the cheapest thing on it was a set of tea towels for £38!shock. We have the good grace to avoid all this and live in sinwink

ilovemargaretatwood8931 Tue 12-May-15 21:32:43

Nicky! tea towels for £38!!! Craziness...

Good for you for avoiding it! grin

RusticBlush Wed 13-May-15 08:30:32

A bottle of bubbly should surfice for an evening event surely

Iloveonionchutney Wed 13-May-15 08:34:52

I'd ask if they have. Gift list if you'd like to get them something from it, I included one in my evening invites, I've never gone to a wedding even just for the evening where I wouldn't have wanted to give the couple something they would like.

ItsADinosaur Wed 13-May-15 08:35:32

Everyone I know that's ever got married has included a gift list in the invitation.

Although I didn't think it included evening invites. Just put a voucher in a card or something, if you want to give a gift.

ISingSoprano Wed 13-May-15 08:37:54

I really don't see the problem with present lists. If I am invited to a wedding (ceremony or reception) I will take a present and would far rather get something the couple want/need. We have been invited to an evening reception later this year, couple have asked for John Lewis vouchers - perfect!

KondoAttitude Wed 13-May-15 09:50:59

Just ask if they have a list. If the answer is no, either buy them a present or give cash according to your preference. Easy.

PrincessOfChina Wed 13-May-15 09:57:22

I feel like a stuck record on here sometimes. Every wedding I have ever been to (and I've been to at least 30) has included a gift list with the invitation. That's all walks of life, a variety of ages and over approximately the last ten years.

I've also been to a load of lovely hen weekends and most of the weddings have been child free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now