To tweet the school with pictures of their parents parked in my space until they stop?

(139 Posts)
fedupresident Tue 12-May-15 10:12:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarvellousMarbles Tue 12-May-15 10:14:10

I am not a lawyer. But our school has suggested that residents do that very thing, and the head teacher will then identify the parents and speak to them about it.

However, I must say, it doesn't seem to stop a hardened few parents.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 12-May-15 10:14:24

How bloody annoying!

How about putting a sign up to say you will clamp non-residents?

TarkaTheOtter Tue 12-May-15 10:15:20

I'd organise with your neighbours to block them in one day. Is there enough room to double park in front of them?

trappedinsuburbia Tue 12-May-15 10:15:44

Speak to the police, they do patrols round my local primary at pick up/drop off times to prevent this type of thing.

fedupresident Tue 12-May-15 10:16:24

Samcro Tue 12-May-15 10:18:03

can you block them in?

26Point2Miles Tue 12-May-15 10:18:42

Have you spoken to any of these parents?

longdiling Tue 12-May-15 10:18:47

I really hope there isn't anything legal to stop you. This kind of thing really annoys me, I'm a childminder and I do pick ups and drop offs at various school and somehow manage to never park like a tosser!!

FanSpamTastic Tue 12-May-15 10:18:48

Can't you just put up a sign saying "cars parked here may be clamped" - buy a clamp and then clamp a couple? You don't have to charge anything but if you farted around for half an hour before you unclamped them it would make your residents car park significantly less attractive! You could even collect a donation for the school fund for unclamping them!

FergalSharkeysfloppyfringe Tue 12-May-15 10:19:13

Arrange a mass block-in.

Some people are such selfish fuckers.

alwaysonmymind Tue 12-May-15 10:19:22

A school in South Manchester has taken to tweeting photos of cars parked badly or dangerously as a child was knocked down last year. I'll try to find the link.
I would tweet to the school

BitOutOfPractice Tue 12-May-15 10:19:53

trapped if it's private property the police / traffic wardens won't come

Perhaps you need to get a clamping company in then. I hate them but not sure what else will deter them.

Collaborate Tue 12-May-15 10:20:09

Nothing to stop you doing that. See if you can put a few seconds of youtube footage of the parents actually getting out of their cars, responding to you asking of they can remove their car. Shaming will deter some.

However many parents have no shame whatsoever. I'm embarrassed whenever I do the school run to see how they both park and drive. For them, the only thing to do is block them in. If you can (and get all other residents on board here) block them in for a couple of hours. It's when the convenience to them of parking in your space is outweighed by the massive ball ache of being stuck for a couple of hours that they will get the message.

honeyandfizz Tue 12-May-15 10:22:10

Yanbu at all! Police were called outside my dc school last year after a parent refused to move her car from across a residents drive. A physical fight very nearly ensued, it's made no difference. Same parents still parking across drives/ double yellow lines etc. I would love to find a way to stop these lazy feckers from doing this.

steppemum Tue 12-May-15 10:23:05

We have MASSIVE BRIGHT signs up saying they will be clamped. They do not care.

then you need to enforce it. Notices will be ignored until they find themselves clamped.

So get whoever is the enforcer to come at 3pm and clamp everyone (maybe warn the residents in advance!)

Or, do as others have suggested, park to block them in and then all residents disappear for 1 hour.

SaucyJack Tue 12-May-15 10:23:33

Penguin bollards are your friend.

fedupresident Tue 12-May-15 10:24:35

MidniteScribbler Tue 12-May-15 10:25:24

Can you get together with your neighbours and block them in? If they're in your spaces, then they really can't complain when the legal owners of the space block their access to collect their own illegally parked cars.

UnspecialSnowflake Tue 12-May-15 10:26:02

Are the spaces designated to each flat? If so you could go down the route of getting lockable bollards installed in the spaces. They're a bit of a Pita and they do cost, but some people in my building have had them put in their spaces and it does totally stop unwanted parking.

Collaborate Tue 12-May-15 10:26:12

I once couldn't park in a works car park as someone had parked their car in one of the few places available when they had no right (lived in flat above the office and could park out of hours, but had to be gone by 8am). I parked right behind them then went into a 2 hour meeting. Halfway through someone interrupted the meeting to say he wanted me to move my car. I refused to move it until my meeting ended. We never had that problem again.

Bodyinpyjamas10 Tue 12-May-15 10:28:38

God there's some selfish fuckers around that would drive me mad op.

I agree you need to enforce the clamp. Just think of the sweet satisfaction. Just do it. They are ignoring the signs as they arnt enforced.

steppemum Tue 12-May-15 10:30:34

I was going to suggest lockable bollards too.

ShadowFire Tue 12-May-15 10:30:36

Blocking them in does sound tempting, but I think it's illegal to block a car in, even if it's parked in someone else's driveway?

I would look into enforcing the clamping first, if it's possible to get a clamping company round at school pick up time. Or penguin bollards.

FleurDuMal123 Tue 12-May-15 10:31:40

Take a pic of the cars and post them here:

youparklikeacunt.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now