to ask what you would not choose again if moving house

(366 Posts)
chaletdays Mon 11-May-15 16:56:10

Just been reading the open plan thread. When I move again I would definitely not choose an open plan layout, or to buy a place right beside a green or any other communal area where children and teenagers will gather 24/7.

What would be your no nos if moving again?

Eustasiavye Mon 11-May-15 17:02:55

Definitely no shared access or driveway.

Perhaps make sure the previous owners have looked after their garden and possibly paved a lot of it!

Also try and get standard windows as I always seem to have to buy specially made curtains or blinds, why aren't windows a standard size!

Hmm must be others si I'll have a think.

EatShitDerek Mon 11-May-15 17:04:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TickTockLoseWeightAlready Mon 11-May-15 17:05:27

No neighbours! ..if onlygrin

NRomanoff Mon 11-May-15 17:06:34

3 storey or shared access.

In a 3 storey now and it's a pita.

redstrawberrypie Mon 11-May-15 17:06:49

Id make sure I checked the kitchen properly as we ended up with one with no storage or drawers

SaucyJack Mon 11-May-15 17:07:53

Taking the first shithole the council offered me.

muminhants Mon 11-May-15 17:08:47

Somewhere with lots of high trees nearby. I do not like thunderstorms or high winds as I'm afraid a tree will land on the house.

My previous house was on a sort of island between three railways lines, I wouldn't recommend that either - try to buy somewhere where you are close to town/shops so you don't have to drive everywhere.

Before that: don't buy a conversion flat with paper-thin walls and no sound-proofing.

WhatAHooHa Mon 11-May-15 17:09:45

I definitely didn't buy a terraced house again, or a 3 storey. Victorian town house looks lovely but having neighbours so close is a pita, and having that 3rd floor means a lot of stairs (and a lot of shouting up and down them!)

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 11-May-15 17:11:13

Unusual layouts. We used to have a kitchen and bedrooms upstairs, with the main living room downstairs. I actually loved it, but God it was a PITA to sell, I thought we'd never get shot of it.

shggg245 Mon 11-May-15 17:12:08

Septic tank!

HoneyDragon Mon 11-May-15 17:12:10

I've just agreed to move into a house with shared access, how bad is it? <<fearful>>

Chottie Mon 11-May-15 17:13:08

I would not buy a house that had a two large pine trees in a neighbouring garden. Pine needles all year round in the garden and in the gutters, pigeons roosting in the branches and poop landing in our garden.

SecretRed Mon 11-May-15 17:14:49

Galley kitchen. Pita squeezing past each other and crap to cook in.

Triliteral Mon 11-May-15 17:16:07

Never buy a house that's built on a flood plain.

SistersofPercy Mon 11-May-15 17:16:16

Agree with 3 storey. We are built into a hill so 3 storey at the front with door at first floor and a 200ft hill for a back garden.
We have amazing views over the city but pain in the backside.

Currently house hunting and my two must haves are downstairs loo (as well as upstairs) and has to be detached.

Bolshybookworm Mon 11-May-15 17:16:25

No bloody textured wallpaper. It's hideous, it's a nightmare to get off and the chances are it's hiding a crappy wall underneath angry

Whilst I love the look of them, I'd be wary about buying a Victorian semi again. The last one we lived in was bloody freeeeeezing.

Also hated having a galley kitchen- ours was very cramped.

AndHarry Mon 11-May-15 17:19:28

Steps up the garden to the front door. Nightmare when carrying babies, tantruming toddler, pram and shopping and you feel guilty every time something heavy is delivered and the driver has to lug it up the steps.

On-street parking. As above with extra points for the kill-thoughts you develop towards neighbours with poor parking skills.

Bolshybookworm Mon 11-May-15 17:19:57

Ooh, and downstairs main and only bathroom (common in some Victorian terraces and semis). A lot of buyers don't like them.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 11-May-15 17:24:38

I would not move next to a primary school, be warned about the disruption, and think 'How bad can it really be?'.

The answer is very. Especially when they have to rebuild it and you spend years next to a building site which is also still being used as a school.

soverylucky Mon 11-May-15 17:32:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floralnomad Mon 11-May-15 17:32:15

On our list when we moved here was detached ,no shared access, access down both sides of the house and no alleyways either side or at the back of the garden. My DS is currently thinking about buying and his must have is off street parking ( mainly because his parallel parking skills are woeful )

flagnogbagnog Mon 11-May-15 17:39:35

I wouldn't choose a 3 story again.

lantien Mon 11-May-15 17:41:16

House needing work/updating- we thought we'd have lots of time to do it and that it wouldn't cost what it did or need as much stuff doing as it - ( we did do full structural survey that arse covered by suggestion 10 more types of survey). It's taken more time and money and energy at worst time for both.

It was only way to get house size needed but next time rather pay more and have to do a lot less.

3of5 Mon 11-May-15 17:42:58

I agree with the textured wallpaper - it's usually stuck up with a mixture of nicotine and super glue and hides a multitude of issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now