AIBU to think everyone should read this before voting?

(17 Posts)
wigglylines Thu 07-May-15 00:47:46

Especially if you think Cameron and Osborne are doing a good job of sorting out the mess Labour left ...

http://benjaminstudebaker.com/2015/05/02/britain-for-the-love-of-god-please-stop-david-cameron/

wigglylines Thu 07-May-15 00:48:09

benjaminstudebaker.com/2015/05/02/britain-for-the-love-of-god-please-stop-david-cameron/

RedRugNoniMouldiesEtc Thu 07-May-15 00:56:18

Interesting reading.

wigglylines Thu 07-May-15 09:17:08

It is, isn't it.

DoraGora Thu 07-May-15 09:23:40

Well, yes. But, it's just a complicated way of saying that DC & Osborne are morons and austerity is crock. The thing is, we know this.

skinnyabc Thu 07-May-15 09:25:40

Interesting. Won't vote til later as ds wants to come

Icimoi Thu 07-May-15 09:26:06

I do think it is helpful to have the facts which demonstrate what nonsense Conservative propaganda about the economy is.

grovel Thu 07-May-15 09:41:24

No, I don't think that everybody should read an article written by someone with a degree who is still looking for a PhD place. Read the comments at the bottom.

He may/may not be right but he's hardly a sage!

DidoTheDodo Thu 07-May-15 09:44:04

Agree with grovel.
It's one person's opinion, not a diktat.

RedRugNoniMouldiesEtc Thu 07-May-15 10:05:13

The thing is many people don't know that austerity is a crock.

Politicalstats Thu 07-May-15 10:20:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoraGora Thu 07-May-15 10:25:26

It's a bit illogical for him to find all the contradictory arguments. Surely that's a Tory job.

DoraGora Thu 07-May-15 10:25:26

It's a bit illogical for him to find all the contradictory arguments. Surely that's a Tory job.

MarrogfromMars Thu 07-May-15 10:28:50

Well how about a professor with a Nobel prize in economics pointing out austerity is a crock? www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion

Politicalstats Thu 07-May-15 11:03:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Thu 07-May-15 11:40:40

Great article Marrog, it clearly explains why austerity has deepened the financial crisis.

I can't understand how, despite it being clear that it was a sharp drop in treasury receipts that caused the crisis, overspending has been blamed and austerity is the result.
It is a triumph of media and spin that so many people, even intelligent economically aware folk, accepted this lie because it was told over and over again.

wigglylines Thu 07-May-15 18:40:11

"It is a triumph of media and spin that so many people, even intelligent economically aware folk, accepted this lie because it was told over and over again"

I totally agree. And it's deeply worrying that so many people accept it and are basing their votes today on it.

The basic problem IMO is that people are tuned into stories. We understand language and stories much better than numbers. Our cultures going back to ancient times are all based on storytelling and myths, not maths and figures. It's how we make sense of the world.

It means that generally people are ready to believe a narrative that chimes with them, even when the stats tell a totally different story. It's how they can get away with telling such blatant lies. (And also, i believe, why misinformation like vacinne myths and climate denial persist despite the data contradicting them)

I'm on my way to vote and feeling pretty down in the dumps. I feel like the human race is doomed because of general stupidity. I hope i'm wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now