Sacking the cleaner.

(15 Posts)
HopScotchLamb Mon 04-May-15 14:17:23

Name-changed regular here. It's a 1st world problem, need to canvass advice.

I have a cleaner, who is very reliable and I'd recommend to others. We have a good working relationship. Because of a sudden change in financial circumstances, I can no longer afford to have her. DH and I had a massive argument about it this weekend, in that he wants to get rid of her to save money and has said that having a cleaner is an indulgence I can't justify at the moment. Unfortunately, I really can't justify the expense and she has to go. Preferably sooner rather than later.

I sent her a text over the weekend, asking her not to come this week so I could buy myself some time to work out how to handle this in a reasonable way. She has no idea that terminating her employment is on the cards.

At the moment, I am leaning towards ringing her and explaining that we've had a serious change in finances and can no longer employ her. The advantages are that I wouldn't have to see her again,(I hate awkward situations and this would be a difficult phone call, but it's a phone call that would be over) the disadvantage is that she has a key, I'd quite like it back, but can easily change the locks if I don't get it back.

OR, do I have her come for a normal cleaning day (final clean) and tell her face to face? Potentially bloody difficult, I hate confrontation.

Can I please have some ideas on how to terminate her employment in a respectful and polite way? Would you pay a period of notice, or not bother? Face to face or by phone.

Thank you.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 04-May-15 14:19:49

I think you should see her face to face and tell her you can't afford to employ her anymore, there's no need for any animosity.

Give her notice of course and pay her accordingly.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Mon 04-May-15 14:22:14

I would do it face to face, may be get a thank you card.

FeckTheMagicDragon Mon 04-May-15 14:25:41

It's really hard, I've had to do it (mine still wanted to come unpaid once or twice a month to help me out bless her) BUT it goes with the territory. Do it face to face, give her paid notice. Maybe ask if circumstances change can you call her to see if she would like to come back.

OllyBJolly Mon 04-May-15 14:26:09

I don't think it matters whether you tell her on the phone or f2f, but it would be wrong not to thank her for her hard work. (and chocs and a card would be the least I'd give her). You can do that when she drops in with the key. It would be very cowardly to avoid her - and no reason to. This will have happened before now. I'd also offer to write her a superb reference.

Good reliable cleaners are hard to find, she'll pick up new work.

I hope you're paying her for this week!

DesperatelySeekingSanity Mon 04-May-15 14:26:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MmeMorrible Mon 04-May-15 14:26:45

Definitely tell her face to face. Explain that you are making cut backs and can't justify having a cleaner because of this. Make it clear that you are happy with her work and it's nothing personal, just down to the financial issue. Pay her up to date, offer to be a referee for her future clients and, if it was me I'd probably also get her a thank you card and a little gift or give her a small bonus but depends how long she has cleaned for you and how much you like her.

ilovesooty Mon 04-May-15 14:27:03

I think it's pretty off not to do it face to face. Pay her notice and assure her that she can count in positive feedback and references.

HopScotchLamb Mon 04-May-15 14:43:51

Thank you ladies. Shall follow advice. flowers

whois Mon 04-May-15 14:53:25

Yes agree with the others - face to face, paid notice and give great references. At least it's a genuine 'change of circumstances' rather than you just think she's a bit rubbish which is harder to deal with (I think).

Penfold007 Mon 04-May-15 15:02:23

Face to face with paid notice, thanks and glowing references is the decent thing to do. Hope DH is ready to 50% of the housework etc.

AliceLidl Mon 04-May-15 15:10:29

You need to tell her quickly.

That's the most important thing, let her know as quickly as you can so that she can look for something else.

And as everyone else as said, thank her, offer her an excellent reference, pay her notice and even say you won't hesitate to ask her to return to you if your financial circumstances change for the better in the future. Offer to put a good word out for her to people if she likes.

But don't leave it for a week and then drop it on her, she needs the time to look elsewhere for employment.

Dowser Mon 04-May-15 15:12:49

Could you not have her fortnightly and give her a chance to slot in another client.

Failing that face to face with a nice present

BallsforEarrings Mon 04-May-15 15:26:06

So sorry, and I know I always sound a bit mean when I say these things but that is not how it's meant at all:

We are a cleaning service and anyone can hire or un-hire our services at any time, no emotional discussions or turmoil necessary, we just replace their spot on our schedule as your cleaner will easily be able to do if she is operating legally and above board.

It is simply a business transaction and a purchase the client makes and can stop making at any time for any reason.

The only time this would not be the case would be if she had had you sign a contract for x amount of time to discontinue OR if you were employing her directly rather than her being a self-employed service and I have never heard of such an arrangement, all cleaners I know are self-employed and running a business.

Only if she has given you a contract to sign when she first sold her service to you would you need to pay notice (as set out within the terms of the contract)

If she were your actual employee you would have to jump through many legal hoops before letting her go and pay her notice but no way is this the case here, you have simply bought a service and now you don't need it anymore!

She will not mind at all whether you tell her by phone, email or at the next visit she will just feel sad to lose her relationship with you (since you sound like a very nice client) and then move on to her next client to fill the spot.

I swear it is that simple and within my role on the panel of a domestic cleaning association I've met and advised so very many cleaners and although we love most of our clients and wish to make them happy we would never ever read anything into it when they need to let us go, it's just not taken personally, we are sad to lose contact with the family but most cleaners have a waiting list and just move another client into the spot, it doesn't hurt business at all.

Just tell her the truth and that you thank her for all her lovely work and you wish her well with her venture and will recommend her to others, she will love to hear that, (I'm assuming you would recommend her and have loved her work otherwise you would not be having this dilemma as to how to end it nicely!)

It is FINE honestly! smile

BallsforEarrings Mon 04-May-15 15:39:26

I have just remembered we have had a client for the past 8 years and she has had a few financially strained periods and has had no choice but to drop our services for those periods.

She is a lovely client and we love that contact so whenever she calls back, even if we have no space for any new clients on our schedule I will somehow find a place for her every single time no matter what we have to do to squeeze her on, we would never ever think less of her because of her past circumstances.

Stopping a service because you need (or want) to is advisable and in no way upsetting or wrong to the service provider - unless they are a bunny boiler of course in which case you still should and then run away. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now