To think a car seat in a convertible is a good idea?

(17 Posts)
CatthiefKeith Sat 02-May-15 13:49:23

I have seen a car, a truly lovely car, and I really want it.

I have just gone back to work f/t and can therefore afford it.

It is a convertible, but it does have a metal roof, and I probably wouldn't put the roof down with my almost 4yo in her car seat in the.

SO, in short, AIBU to buy an Astra Twin Top and carry dd in her carseat in the back?

mountainofdreams Sat 02-May-15 13:57:06

Nah YANBU, buy whatever car you like as long as you can buy a suitable and safe car seat! smile

CatthiefKeith Sat 02-May-15 13:59:52

I think her current seat will be fine, it a maxi cosy one.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being stupidly reckless - I think convertibles are pretty safe these days arent they?

shewept Sat 02-May-15 14:09:12

I wouldn't but that's personal issues. Friends were killed in a convertible crash when i was in my late teens.

Why not have a look at the safety recommendations for the vehicle. I am sure there is lots of information on safety in these cars when transporting children.

hibbledibble Sat 02-May-15 14:10:04

It never occurred to me before to think of convertibles as unsafe. I guess if you have a serious accident when your car rolls then the roof is useful, otherwise I would think they are no less safe then another car?

I think which do safety ratings of cars if you are interested.

I think yanbu

CatthiefKeith Sat 02-May-15 14:16:06

I've had a look at the safety ratings - its about an 8 I think, which seems reasonable. It has various anti roll bars and protection. Not that I am likely to roll it - if I drive too quickly nobody will see me in it! grin

hedgehogsdontbite Sat 02-May-15 14:20:53

I just googled it. Very nice. I might save up for one myself once I've saved enough for Mercedes, so in 500 years or so.

Minus2seventy3 Sat 02-May-15 14:23:00

Folding hard tops are every bit as safe as a fixed head - soft top's, maybe not? I wouldn't stress over it. However, a folding hard top may be a good deal heavier than its coupe or saloon equivalent, so expect a performance and economy hit (if they matter to you).
Don't worry about sprogs and roof off motoring - they love it (many moons ago, my niece loved travelling in my old t-bar MR2 with the roof panels off). Can't wrap the little one up in cotton wool foreve.

CatthiefKeith Sat 02-May-15 14:24:05

Its not a new one hedgehogs, it a 58 plate! I can't afford a new one, but this one has low mileage, and full service history, and is white with a fully body pack - It appeals to my Essex girl roots grin

iknowimcoming Sat 02-May-15 14:30:07

I've had a soft top for nearly 10 years since ds was 3 and as others have said they are as safe as any other car unless you crash and roll it when the roof is down. Be aware though that car seats don't always fit as well as the seat configuration in the back is slightly different as there are only two seats and the roll bars affect the head rests in the back meaning most can't be moved, this means in short that high back boosters can be tricky so you might need to try a lot of seats to get a good fit. Have fun though!

Songofsixpence Sat 02-May-15 14:31:01

I've got a hard top convertible, although my children are older so no big car seats

To be honest, the kids hate being in the back with the roof down, they find it too windy, even with all the windows up, plus there's only 2 seats in the back so it's a PITA.

I loved it for the first year and drove around everywhere with the roof down, but it I'm a bit over it now.

Last year I think I put the roof down twice, all the moaning from the kids, plus not being able to get anything in/out of the boot and it's not worth the hassle.

Plus I can never be arsed to clear all the rubbish out of it. One of the most embarrassing moments of my life was hitting 60 on the dual carriage way and half a ton of sweet wrappers, car park tickets and general crap flying out

CatthiefKeith Sat 02-May-15 14:33:39

Haha! Sixpence if I get it that is so going to be me. My car is a total tip at the best of times grin

hedgehogsdontbite Sat 02-May-15 14:35:23

My imaginary Merc appeals to my Liverpool girl roots (fast get away car). My car was in the garage for repairs and they provided me with a Mercedes as a courtesy car. Pootling around doing school runs and shopping I didn't really get the appeal. Then on the final day I had to go out of town. Turned onto the empty, straight main road and put my foot down to get up to speed. OMFG, it was like a rocket going into orbit. I want one.

Stinkersmum Sat 02-May-15 14:39:28

I've got an old soft top Saab 900. I love it and have no qualms about putting a child seat in it....

howabout Sat 02-May-15 14:39:57

We had 2 toddlers and a top down roof car at one time. The only issue was the cries of "mine bunches" from the windswept back. Great for kudos in the nursery playground though! YOLO I think is the relevant thought process.

CatthiefKeith Sat 02-May-15 14:42:01

Fantastic! Thought I was going to get ripped to shreds for being irresponsible tbh.

Now to convince dh we need a new car....

cathpip Sat 02-May-15 14:44:49

What you will find is that when the roof is down even if it's a soft top that usually the rear head rests become part of the cage of the car in event of it rolling. My dh's convertible soft top rear headrests popped up automatically if the car tilted too far over and the manufacturer had to always reset them, this was incase of it ending on it's roof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now