Wanting pretty things

(7 Posts)
JumpRope Fri 01-May-15 21:08:33

Does everyone basically want pretty/nice things? Everyone has something they covet, right?

This is entirely human, IMO. I've done modules in anthropology and archaeology and I can see that civilisation grew and spread through trade. There were always 'chief' families and these people had the best things, and a lot of times, they were even buried with them, which shows how important things were.

It's natural. It's hard to escape the shopping culture, since we don't have to forage and look for food in any time consuming sense, is finding the right bits of clutter/apparel taking our instincts over?

MissBattleaxe Fri 01-May-15 21:10:48

Yes I like pretty things and I am unapologetic about it. I particularity like pretty perfume bottles and glassware and flowers. I enjoy looking at it and I don't know why but it gives me a teeny bit of happy on a grey day.

OrangeVase Fri 01-May-15 21:35:53

Yes, you are absolutely right. New Scientist actually did a whole issue on this sometime last year I think.

I was wondering round the shops today and delighting in teacups and earrings, handbags in pretty colours and copper saucepans, silk scarves and picture frames. No money unfortunately. I just watched everyone enjoying being amongst all this.

I love pretty things, china and glass mainly.

BunnyLebowski Fri 01-May-15 21:40:30

God yes.

And it's why I barely have grocey money by the end of the month blush .

Makeup, clothes, shoes, jewellery, bedding, cushions, teapots. I have zero self control.

fattymcfatfat Fri 01-May-15 21:41:30

myself, my mum and my DD are like magpies we are attracted to shiny sparkly glittery stuff. grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 01-May-15 21:43:05

Me too. I quite like collecting Emma Bridgewater crockery. But as I frequently have to remind my dh, it does hold its value. So I don't feel too guilty. grin

Strokethefurrywall Fri 01-May-15 21:43:47

I'm a magpie. I love diamonds and jewels and also like "material" possessions. I fretted about this for a long time, thinking that being materialistic was a really negative trait. But then I realised that I can afford my pretty trinkets and more to the point, whilst I may be materialistic, I am kind, generous and would give the shirt off my back to anyone in need. So I can live with being a material girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now