To think the Tories have it in the bag.

(201 Posts)
Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:12:45

I hope IABU.

To be fair, this is only based on the West Country (I do quite a lot of driving so I'm including Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset, bristol and bath). Driving around, I'd say the amount of stake boards and posters I've seen roughly represent these proportions:

Conservative: 60%
Green: 15%
UKIP: 15%
Lib dem: 8%
Labour: 2%

They have it sewn up, don't they? My mum is involved in politics and her prediction is a Tory/UKIP coalition shock

If that happens I'm emigrating.

SoupDragon Mon 27-Apr-15 12:14:04

And how many had no board at all?

Thereyouarepeter Mon 27-Apr-15 12:15:38

Ukip will only get a handful of seats so they will probably need more than them for a majority. They will probably need the lib Dems again and I think that's unlikely to happen again!

Psipsina Mon 27-Apr-15 12:15:40

I heard on R4 that Labour are something like 4 points ahead and the tories would be hard pushed to turn this round in the next 10 days.

If your Ma is right then I'm coming with you

kinkyfuckery Mon 27-Apr-15 12:16:47

Are we all supposed to be advertising our political persuasion outside of our homes??

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:16:58

Well quite a few to be fair. And I'm hoping that the high amount of Tory boards represents the fact that wealthy landowners with a dozen boards in their fields are all going to be Tories!

Samcro Mon 27-Apr-15 12:17:25

i don't have a board, or poster
I am not voting tory.
as for the tory and ukip together
won't happen.
but omg if it did. god help disabled people

U2TheEdge Mon 27-Apr-15 12:18:52

DH's nan was here yesterday saying how Labour had it in the bag.

I hope she is right, but I think the Tories will get in. A coalition with UKIP would make me want to move as well.

There are tons of Labour and Green flags in my small area though.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:18:58

That's interesting psipsina, I think I was actually being a bit generous in giving labour 2% as I've only seen one labour board! Hopefully that's not a national thing...

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 27-Apr-15 12:19:02

I think the Tories are in trouble if they get most seats but not a governing majority. Can't see the Lib Dems joining up again. Doubt UKIP would be enough (plus potentially disasterous for future elections ). My prediction in that scenario is that it'd be Ed who gets a coalition together and into power.

applecatchers36 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:19:10

They may have lots of fields & lot's of land & hence posters but doesn't necessarily translate to lot's of votes e.g. Might represent one household...

ShatnersBassoon Mon 27-Apr-15 12:20:09

That's just a poll of people who like to publicise their preference. Come up north for a little tour around and you'll see a lot more red. I don't have a poster, but I'll be voting.

blue42 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:20:36

I find it quite amusing how people feel an increasing need to festoon their houses with their political affiliations the closer we get to ballot day. There's a guy in our village who started out with one Labour poster in an upstairs window. In the last three weeks he's added three more posters, all in different windows, and a big sign on his lawn, just to make sure we all get it.

I'm tempted to sneak out at night and spray paint "Vote Lib Dem" on his roof to a) see how long it takes him to notice, and b) watch him explode with anger when he does.

PekeandPollicle Mon 27-Apr-15 12:21:32

Most of hte placards round here are Libdem or Labour (Tory constituency) so I'm hoping...

mummymeister Mon 27-Apr-15 12:21:59

Hope so Littlefluffy. I don't have a board out but know how I will be voting and it wont be for Minibland or Cleggy. I wont move if any one else gets in and neither I suspect will many others because very few people do (despite lots of people saying they will few of us could afford to close up our businesses and just go!)

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:22:31

Shatners I'm going to Alton towers at the weekend so I'll be able to extend my (very unofficial) survey then.

Needadognow Mon 27-Apr-15 12:23:10

If it's labour im off. Along with many other high rate tax payers. Good luck.

derxa Mon 27-Apr-15 12:24:16

Farmers are quite often Conservative and put boards in their fields. I know my dad does. This doesn't mean it's a true representation of the electorate though. Thank God.

ouryve Mon 27-Apr-15 12:24:44

By your logic, and using the same methods applied to my own observations around Durham & Sunderland, Labour are assured of an unanimous majority, OP.

mummymeister Mon 27-Apr-15 12:25:22

Penguins despite all the crap being spouted at the moment anyone will go into coalition with anyone else if they thought it gave them the merest sniff of power because that, after all is what it is all about. Power. would personally love to see a Scottish nationalist/UKIP/others coalition. but mainly just someone, anyone with a bit of get up and go. this has to be the dullest election I have ever remembered and the one where the news have nothing better to talk about. call an election, vote on it in a fortnight gets my vote every time.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:25:31

Blue42 there's a house down the road from me that has a gigantic Tory flag on his shed roof. There's just so much....space...on those blue boards. The temptation to enhance them with a marker pen is getting greater...

Erudite Mon 27-Apr-15 12:28:21

I think we will have a Tory/Lib dem coalition again.
Clegg is clear he will not do a deal with any party getitng into bed with the SNP or any party coming second who tries to form a Govt.

Do the maths.

blue42 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:28:23

Littlefluffy, go for it! It's an election, surely that's all part of the fun grin

happybubblebrain Mon 27-Apr-15 12:28:32

Goodbye Needadognow. We won't miss you.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 27-Apr-15 12:32:20

I don't agree with that Mummy. I think the price Lib Dems look like paying for joining up with the Tories will be (if it happens) a real warning to those considering coalition. Labour joining up with the SDP could boot them out for a generation if it went badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now