AIBU to wonder what fun there is in tormenting people with disabilities?

(65 Posts)
TillHammerZeit Sat 13-Dec-14 17:05:04

What pleasure can anyone get out of smashing a bus up that is used by people with learning disabilities,while they're enjoying their Christmas party?

What joy can anyone get in throwing litter and rocks at someone with a learning disability,because they dared to venture into their own garden?

Two events that have happened recently with groups I volunteer with. And yes the police have been notified,but I doubt much will be done about it,and it's nothing new.

Possibly the wrong place to post it,but I need to vent,and if anyone can understand why people do these things,please let me know.because it's beyond my understanding,and most people's I imagine.

victoryinthekitchen Sat 13-Dec-14 17:10:21

Sorry to hear about this - it's horrible, but good for you for being involved in this great work.

x2boys Sat 13-Dec-14 17:10:39

I have idea the people that do this are complete twats,! I have a disabled child so things like this anger me hugely I hope the police come down hugely on these idiots .

fluffyraggies Sat 13-Dec-14 17:11:06

YANBU OP

It's the same sort of bastard who'd torture an animal for pleasure or set fire to a community center. Youth or boredom is no excuse IMO. I'd string 'em up if i got my mits on them.

Bulbasaur Sat 13-Dec-14 17:11:09

You mean, you don't have fun vandalizing property and throwing rocks at people?

I really don't think you're going to get an answer here. Some people are just cunts.

Some things will never be understood.

Like the autistic kid that got picked on with the ice bucket challenge and they dumped feces, urine, cigarette butts, and semen on him. sad

TillHammerZeit Sat 13-Dec-14 17:16:27

I just needed to vent I guess. I just feel that this is a problem that tends to be ignored. It's amazing how common these incidents are. They're anything but unusual for the people I work with. I didn't realise how common until I began working with them,but there's been an increased spate of them lately.

So much for Christmas spirit,and basic humanity.

Angelhairscruff Sat 13-Dec-14 17:18:28

Some people are just nasty bullies. Heartbreaking to see someone vulnerable hurt but that's the power that the bullies like. It's a terrible shame that some people are like that.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 13-Dec-14 17:18:33

Because, scrotes. When you're vermin, and you know you're vermin, and you know your future is manual work/dole/prison, you have to make yourself feel bigger. So you torment the people who can't run away or hit back.

I've been on crutches in 89, 02 and 09. By 09 they were shouting abuse and throwing stuff from passing cars. Got called a "f-----g crippo" once when I asked a young man for a priority seat on a bus. I had a quiet word and he moved.

blanklook Sat 13-Dec-14 17:19:06

If I wrote what I'd really like to happen to the people who do stuff like this, MN would kick me off the site.

Is it time to start thinking about the worst that can happen, like the instances above, and where possible invest in some cheap concealed cameras to monitor the situation.

Sometimes, public shaming can be a better punishment than prosecution.

millionsofpeaches Sat 13-Dec-14 17:19:28

I guess the same sort of people who would steal Christmas lights from a children's hospice (happened locally this week). Utter scumbags and the dregs of humanity angry

XmasTimeMammariesandWine Sat 13-Dec-14 17:24:01

People generally do not feel goodwill towards people with SN IME. They find them an irritation, or of they are young and immature and good source of humour for showing off to their friends.

This is probably why.

XmasTimeMammariesandWine Sat 13-Dec-14 17:24:36

Sorry. I meant if they are young and immature they find them a good source of humour for showing off to their friends.

XmasTimeMammariesandWine Sat 13-Dec-14 17:26:02

If they are targetting them it's because they are an easy target and they have no compassion whatsoever.

mytartanscarf Sat 13-Dec-14 17:29:03

Till I'm so so sorry that the people you know have been subjected to such horribleness.

I work with two ladies with learning difficulties and they are absolutely lovely. It really upsets me to think someone would deny them fun at Christmas or sitting in their garden.

I am being silly probably PMT as I feel really tearful at this story! How did they get home? I can't even begin to understand some people. I

XmasTimeMammariesandWine Sat 13-Dec-14 17:33:09

People don't throw rocks at my DD..yet..but I definitely see a slight edge of contempt for her in a lot of people's faces now she is older and less cute. Depressing.

TillHammerZeit Sat 13-Dec-14 17:35:46

Some of the 'people' doing this,throwing rocks for example,are grown men in their 40s. Not that it excuses the little shits who are still in their teens.
The shocking thing is that these aren't one off events. This is the daily reality for many people with disabilities. And yet nothing seems to be done about it. The same 'people' have been tormenting some for years.

MyTartanScarf.Taxis had to be arranged. The bus was unusable due to glass everywhere. The distress it caused isn't so easy to fix unfortunately.

HerrenaHarridan Sat 13-Dec-14 17:36:40

As a mother raising a dd with disabilities I'm finding this thread to upsetting to read.

Thanks to those of you who arent such utter scum

mytartanscarf Sat 13-Dec-14 17:39:23

Herrena scum is the only word that fits, I'm not surprised you're finding it upsetting as it has upset me and I don't have a DC with learning difficulties - well no DCs at all actually - but just HOW can people be so nasty to someone who has done them no harm and never will??

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 13-Dec-14 17:40:06

YANBU to vent. I can't imagine what goes on in these people's minds.

Angelhairscruff Sat 13-Dec-14 17:43:26

This reminds me of that desperate lady who was being tormented, her and her daughter, because her daughter had a disability. The woman killed herself and daughter in her car if I remember correctly. So sad, I hope that you can get the police to take it seriously, I would hope that after that poor lady, they would. She had called the police dozens if times and nothing was done

HermioneWeasley Sat 13-Dec-14 17:44:06

Jeez, it's common? I assumed it was some horrific news worthy one off story. How unbelievably depressing. Scum that do this should be put in the stocks.

XmasTimeMammariesandWine Sat 13-Dec-14 17:48:32

It's very common. Before having DD I lived next a woman and her son with ASD. The lovely local youths threatened to set him on fire.

A friends daughter with schizophrenia was hounded out of her council house.

TillHammerZeit Sat 13-Dec-14 17:56:00

Yes it's common. And yes things like this might make the local newspapers a few times a year,but it's ignored the rest of the time. It doesn't have to be about physical abuse either. Verbal abuse is even more common and just as harmful. As is society's general attitude that people with disabilities are worth less than those without.

I've read Scapegoat,which is an excellent if incredibly disturbing,book about these issues, and I've seen Rosa Monkton's excellent documentaries, and witnessed some myself in the past,but it was only once I began volunteering with people with disabilities that I got any real insight into how big the problem is,and the incidents described are just the latest examples.

I don't know why I'm surprised that the bus was destroyed,considering all the stories I've been personally told about.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sat 13-Dec-14 17:56:36

There are no logical reasons why people do these horrible things.

It's typical bulling behaviour.

These cowards wouldn't dare do it to a member of the Mafia, they do it because they know they can dominate and humiliate the person.

CeeloWeevil Sat 13-Dec-14 18:02:14

Someone on fB had posted a picture of an individual, clearly with mental health and / or learning disabilities, together would a comment such as 'who would shag that?????'
I challenged this ridiculous remark (not inappropriately. I suggested compassion, rather than finger pointing), and got blocked by the poster. This was posted by a professional (prison officer) and another professional (teacher) had joined in the jeering.
It's not just unemployed youths who need educating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now