To want to get paid in those circumstances?

(7 Posts)
GoMe Wed 03-Sep-14 22:50:44

Hi.

Before the summer I signed a employment contract stating my start date on the 1st of September.

Then I was told by email that my actual start date is the 2nd of September. Fine.

Went to work on the time/day agreed and to my surprise I am not starting until Monday next week 8th September. They forgot to let me know...

I was told this will not affect me...(?)

Does it mean I will get paid from the 1st like the original contract I signed?? I have obviously the copy of contract stating I start on the 1st and the email stating I actually start on the 2nd.

It is only a 10/h week job at a local school and the council is the employer.

Where do I stand? Am I being wrong to want to get paid from the 1st of September? I made myself available from the 2nd and had lost of earnings because of it.

GoMe Wed 03-Sep-14 22:51:28

I did not want to ask on the day because it was such an awkward situation.
How would I ask about payment straight away??
The contract says clearly: Employment start date 1st September.
The school isn't the employer, the council is.
It is not fair, they changed the date twice, not my fault either.

I think they should pay.
Otherwise why does "it won't affect you" mean?

Pugaboo Wed 03-Sep-14 22:53:24

YANBU to want to be paid but I'm not sure of the legalities around it. It seems you've implicitly accepted the new start date. I would ask CAB. Although maybe best not to rock the boat if it's a good job before you've even started...

HowToSaveALife Wed 03-Sep-14 22:56:44

I don't think you'll be paid. I remember getting legal advice with a friend in a similar situation and they told her she would need to be on site and available to mount an argument for pay. She didn't, because it was a new job and she didn't want to lose it straight away!

I sympathise.

GoMe Wed 03-Sep-14 22:57:28

I totally agree with not rocking the boat over a measly 10h/week jog but it is really not FAIR that they forgot to let me know my start date changed and what is the point signing a contract where the start date is wrong in the first place?
How about the earnings that I lost due to making myself available when they asked me to?

CromerSutra Wed 03-Sep-14 23:39:56

That is frustrating I agree but if you really want the job I'd let it go. I had a friend who was kept waiting for 5 weeks for a job, but when it actually did start he loved it and is still happy there 4 years on.

GoblinLittleOwl Thu 04-Sep-14 07:21:13

Ring up the Council and ask them; you turned up for work on the date specified and they 'forgot' to inform you of the change, therefore their mistake. You don't have to be aggressive, but you can be assertive.
Does an email count as 'having it in writing'; I don't know, but I think as you presented yourself for work it was their mistake and they should pay you for that day. And join Unison.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now