To think sitting with your indicator flashing............ .

(36 Posts)
Vintagejazz Wed 03-Sep-14 22:22:31

and long queue of traffic building up behind you, while some mortified shopper tries to unpack their shopping, return their trolly and strap in their kids, is beyond rude and insensitive?

Today the line of traffic was out on the road and causing a traffic jam because some arsehole couldn't just drive on and wait for another space to become free.

Peppa87 Wed 03-Sep-14 22:31:18

Yanbu. These people are idiots smile

FindoGask Wed 03-Sep-14 22:38:19

I always feel at liberty to take my own sweet time in situations like that, Vintagejazz.

Vintagejazz Wed 03-Sep-14 22:49:36

I just think it's a typical example of someone living in their own sweet bubble and being completely oblivious to anyone and everyone else sad.

fluffyduffydoo Wed 03-Sep-14 22:52:25

where other parkng spaces available?

Loletta Wed 03-Sep-14 22:53:06

Happens all the time around here and my husband is guilty of it too! I'm so embarrassed when we're in the car together and he does this blush
I keep telling him that it's a twattish thing to do. Just like hogging a table in a coffee shop before paying for coffee and food which he also does

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Wed 03-Sep-14 22:57:17

Oh yes, I usually get this at Sainsburys, and they wind their window down and say "are you going" ... Meanwhile I have a trolley to unload, a four year old to remove from the trolley, a baby in a seat, then take the trolley back, then strap them in... So I usually say "err yes but I will be a while"

You would think this might put them off, move them in, so I usually go deliberately slow, and sometime just fit in a little breastfeed as well just to p!ss them off wink

Vintagejazz Wed 03-Sep-14 22:59:51

Fluffy it was a shopping centre car park with people coming and going all of the time. There was absolutely no necessity to hassle a shopper returning to their car and hold up other shoppers in their cars and people not even planning to enter the carpark but caught in the traffic jam out on the road. It was selfish and stupid behaviour and, to my mind, not even acceptable if it had been 4pm on Christmas Eve.

effinandjeffin Wed 03-Sep-14 23:04:27

Doesn't bother me, probably coz I can be a bit of a twat when it comes to things like that. I just take even longer to put my shopping in the car and then I find I usually have to check my phone for five minutes when I get in the car as well. Usually happens at the supermarket when everyone is trying to get as physically close to the doors as humanly possible instead of parking slightly further away and walking for two seconds

It's the same principle as when someone is driving up my backside in the car - it won't make me go any faster.

MissPenelopeLumawoo Thu 04-Sep-14 07:46:44

Were there any other spaces though? If not, where was he supposed to drive on to or wait for another space? Why did he particularly want that space? Was it a baby space? I really can't see why he would want a particular space otherwise, but as you have mentioned he could have 'waited for another space to become free' I am presuming that the car park was otherwise full? Its hard to know without the full picture.

kungfupannda Thu 04-Sep-14 07:54:35

We live down a single-track lane, and someone has been renovating a derelict cottage in the most awkward part of the entire lane - between two sharp 90 degree bends with no passing places.

There was an agreement put in place when planning permission was granted, that the first thing to be done was access for works vehicles and deliveries - there's plenty of land around it - and that no permission would be given for the road to be closed for anything to do with the build.

Of course it's a bit awkward to get vehicles into the entrance because it involves them driving half a mile down the road to turn round in order to reverse in. So they all just park on the road. I've had a delivery that didn't get to me because the driver had to give up and reverse back up the road along with everyone else who'd been waiting for over half an hour. I've had a boiler repairman unable to get to me. I've been late for an appointment.

And yesterday I sat on the road for 10 minutes and finally lost it when the delivery guy wandered out and leaned on his vehicle to complete his paperwork, while making what was clearly a very amusing phone call. He moved fairly sharpish grin

Every time it happens we all complain to the parish council, who contact the owner who is very apologetic and claims it was all a misunderstanding. And then keeps doing it. It's not like he doesn't know - he's doing most of the build himself so he's always there when the deliveries come.

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 04-Sep-14 08:03:41

When people do that to me I just take my time, and then put all the whatevers in the car, lock it back up and walk away. How do they know you are going to actually leave? Then once they drive off in a rage, I turn around and then leave.

Or I just get into the passenger seat. Watch their little faces as they then realise I am going nowhere. Then once they are gone, get in the drivers seat and leave.

EatDessertFirst Thu 04-Sep-14 08:20:10

^^ I do exactly what Funky does. Maybe accompanied by a wave and a trying not to laugh smile.

The rage on their faces gives me a nice smug feeling.

polarpercy Thu 04-Sep-14 08:28:29

This happened to us the other week, we had just arrived back at car and I was feeding dd on back seat, husband sat in front eating a sandwich (setting the scene here!!). A woman appears and starts banging on the driver's window, takes husband a second to realise the noise is our car! She asks if we are going and he replies 'sorry, not any time soon as we're feeding and need to get sorted/strapped in'.

She banged the car window, swore at him 'fucking selfish ignorant pig', walked back to her car, swore again, threw her hands up in the air then got in. Thought that might be the end of it. She then lent on the horn and pulled away with window down still swearing. Very bizarre.

What was even more odd is that the car park had loads of spaces, including 3 spaces behind us (across the bit you drive along) whereas our car was sandwiched between two others.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 04-Sep-14 08:29:20

This happened to me and a friend in Tesco the other day. We were trying to put away shopping, strap baby in, put down prom etc. Someone was waiting for our space, but in the middle of the road so no one could get past. We left as quickly as we could but the queue was unbelievable! I couldn't understand why they hadn't at lest pulled over to wait. Plenty of space. Guess they lack any kind of social awareness.

Fluffyears Thu 04-Sep-14 14:07:56

Ah I love these people and dinner get harassed as I'm not the one causing a queue. Just do what you have to do in your own time. I remember one Christmas Eve someone sat behind me like that so I took ages then slowly reversed a bit then straightened up, drove back into space got out of car and walked away for a coffee. The guy almost had a stroke but me being back at my car does not mean I am going to leave that was his problem for presuming.

BreadForBrains Thu 04-Sep-14 16:17:30

Well I'm not sure really. I'm too embarrassed to hover around people, and would hate to be the one causing a traffic jam, but I'm also very impatient. It takes me about 1 minute to open my boot, stick my shopping in and strap in ds and other people seem to really dawdle in comparison!
When people hover for my space, I genuinely don't mind as I am speedy and won't hold them up too long.
But I can see others wouldn't like it and feel pressured.

I'm really being a bit stealth boasty about my efficiency in the supermarket skills, but it's only because I'm not quick or efficient at anything else grin

DuelingFanjo Thu 04-Sep-14 16:21:17

you could have put a stop to it by putting your shopping in and then locking the car and walking off. Or just locking the car and walking off with the trolly.

DuelingFanjo Thu 04-Sep-14 16:21:39

unless the kids were already in the car?

weeblueberry Thu 04-Sep-14 16:53:10

Why didn't the cars behind him just go around him? That's normally what they do unless the road is absolutely teensy...

GaryShitpeas Thu 04-Sep-14 16:59:17

Yanbu x a million

Fucks me off so much. Selfish cunts

CanadianJohn Thu 04-Sep-14 17:00:14

That doesn't really happen in my city, though I suppose it could. If I was the person parked, I'd just walk over to the waiting car and say "I won't be leaving for a few minutes..."

LumpenproletariatAndProud Thu 04-Sep-14 17:03:50

Are people really bothered by this?

People do it to me all the time especially on a Saturday, they usually wave a thanks and a smile but I don't panic and rush.

I wait for spaces too and I always wave a thanks and smile.

On a Saturday in our little town theres one car park and theres a long queue of cars waiting to find a space. To not sit and wait would mean that you would be giving up every space for the person behind. It's one in, one out.

I don't understand the problem.

OverAndAbove Thu 04-Sep-14 17:10:52

I don't understand those of you who say you would deliberately take even longer, though. Surely that just causes more delay for everyone else? I wouldn't feel so smug about that...

LumpenproletariatAndProud Thu 04-Sep-14 18:05:15

If you went into Tesco toilet would you deliberately loiter in the cubicle because you could hear someone waiting outside?
Is it much different than that?

(It's quite different, shhhhhh! But you get what I'm trying to say?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now