to think it's shameful that over 800million has been spent on premier league transfer when there are people struggling to feed their families etc etc.

(48 Posts)
DontSweatTheSmallStuff Mon 01-Sep-14 22:07:33

that's it really. sad

HeySoulSister Mon 01-Sep-14 22:08:42

Football teams aren't responsible for feeding our families tho.... We are!

clairemum22 Mon 01-Sep-14 22:08:52

Yes, disgusting amount of money. Completely ridiculous.

PenisesAreNotPink Mon 01-Sep-14 22:09:20

The amount of money in football plus all the div

PenisesAreNotPink Mon 01-Sep-14 22:09:56

Diving and the cheating stopped me watching years ago

I hate the amount of money in it, it's an obscenity

clairemum22 Mon 01-Sep-14 22:10:54

Whoops, I meant yes I agree with you not yes you are BU!

HeySoulSister Mon 01-Sep-14 22:13:33

They are all legitimate businesses though.... What do you think they should do?

Greenwayslide Mon 01-Sep-14 22:16:47

They are private businesses not like they are funded by taxes. What else do you want to cry about? how about money spent in the financial services or film industry or in oil.

gordyslovesheep Mon 01-Sep-14 22:20:12

yes because if they didn't spend that on footballers it would of course be given to the poor hmm

you are complaining about deckchairs being useless at drying hair to be honest

ilovesooty Mon 01-Sep-14 22:21:14

The money in Premiership football doesn't affect anyone's personal income or ability to feed their family.

The issues aren't related.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 01-Sep-14 22:22:41

YANBU.

handcream Mon 01-Sep-14 22:22:50

Sorry, what does football have to do with someone's choice to have children.

Yes...but spending, for example, £8 on a free range chicken could be seen to be the equivalent to someone in, for example, South Sudan. It's all relative, I suppose, and those are shocking amounts of money, but we also spend relatively shocking amounts of money on every day food.

FootballFan Mon 01-Sep-14 22:30:47

YABU. There same could be said of an MP or CEOs salary or in fact anyones if it's over and above what they need to feed, house and clothe themselves and their family.

Football clubs are a business, the same as Waitrose or Virgin. They don't exist to provide alms and they've never professed or been intended to.

Sandthorn Mon 01-Sep-14 22:32:42

It's shameful that there are people struggling to feed their families, but why, of all life's fripperies, would we fix on football as the problem. Might as well say it's shameful to spend money on haircuts, or fancy food, or a new dining table, or a music festival.

FootballFan Mon 01-Sep-14 22:33:19

"The money in Premiership football doesn't affect anyone's personal income...."

There speaks a poster who hasn't seen my bank statements! grin

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Mon 01-Sep-14 22:36:07

Nothing handcream, never said it did hmm

Don't be ridiculous Green. I'm hardly crying about it hmm

I'm not saying that footballers and their stupid salaries are responsible for feeding us/our families or that the money would otherwise be given to other people etc.

Just saying that the distribution of wealth/money is all fucked up.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Mon 01-Sep-14 22:38:18

Sand - i only picked football as it just came up on telly.

I would love to see a £800k dining table or haircut grinwink

WooWooOwl Mon 01-Sep-14 22:40:14

There is a problem with wealth distribution, but the two things in your OP aren't linked.

For some reason that I don't quite understand, football is extremely popular, so it attracts a huge amount of money.

FootballFan Mon 01-Sep-14 22:43:06

This is a capitalist country, DontSweat. That's how it is. Why identify footballers and football clubs in particular?

Football as a whole provides a huge amount in taxes which benefit the public in general. That's not just footballers salaries but merchandise, sponsorship and ticket purchases too.

Football clubs and players also donate frequently and generously to charity. Much of it you don't even hear of. Many players give a lot of money (and time) to charity without a fanfare or publicity.

theeternalstudent Mon 01-Sep-14 22:44:35

I agree with you OP. Such crazy amounts of money. I just don't understand and yes I do think it is linked to the problem of wealth distribution in this country. Capitalism at it's worst.

bensam Mon 01-Sep-14 22:47:57

Yanbu

YANBU

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Mon 01-Sep-14 22:50:54

I know Football Fan grinI only picked on football as it's in my face atm as dh is desperately waiting to hear of a great signing for his club!

It could also apply to other things like oil companies, bankers, etc mentioned earlier.

I'm going to bed before the wine digs me in deeper grin

HarrietdeBagotSoay Mon 01-Sep-14 22:51:30

50k a day for one guy. Yes it felt obscene to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now