To do a party without party food?

(37 Posts)
Teddybeau1988 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:54:43

DD is 9 on the 19th this month. Is it acceptable to invite her friends to the cinema to see a film, feed them popcorn and ice cream and send them off after with a party bag after? DH thinks we need to feed them properly.

ErmagerdANerknerm Mon 01-Sep-14 19:57:18

Depends on the time of day really, if it falls between meal times then fine, if it runs over then I'd feed them to be honest. If you aren't going to then make it clear to parents beforehand so that they can make sure they're fed before going.

EatShitDerek Mon 01-Sep-14 20:01:54

That's fine. If it was a proper party then it would be weird.

I don't think it matters about times. People people really only eat at set times? I know I don't and my son doesn't so I wouldn't have a problem

ilovepowerhoop Mon 01-Sep-14 20:02:44

if its a cinema trip then no I would not feed them other than the popcorn/ice cream.

StripyBanana Mon 01-Sep-14 20:03:55

I think its fine but let parent's know. Some parents do the pizzahut thing afterwards but there's no reason to.

Even better if you have a £1/£2 weekend morning cinema....

whatever5 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:04:24

I think that it's fine but perhaps mention in the invitation that there will be no food apart from popcorn/icecream.

londonrach Mon 01-Sep-14 20:04:26

McDonald's happy meal?

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Sep-14 20:09:36

Of course it's fine! Hope she enjoys it smile

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Sep-14 20:10:02

And what whatever said

NoodleOodle Mon 01-Sep-14 20:13:15

Yup, no food is no problem for cinema party.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 01-Sep-14 20:14:29

But there will be cake right.

Notsoyummymummy1 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:57:56

I'm sorry but no cheese and pineapple on sticks - no party.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 01-Sep-14 20:59:17

I would do a happy meal and forgo the party bags

WooWooOwl Mon 01-Sep-14 21:02:16

I think it's fine as long as it doesn't fall over a natural meal time, but I'd let parents know so that they can feed their children properly before.

I'd worry though that other parents would then make arrangements amongst themselves to go for pizza or something else treat like after they have collected, and then your dd would be left out of something that was connected to her birthday celebration. Depends on the dynamics between the people you are inviting though.

Teddybeau1988 Mon 01-Sep-14 21:39:53

We were thinking of having cupcakes in little boxes to hand out as people go and a cone of sweets.

We were thinking of going to McDonald's after, but the though of trying to herd a dozen or so children across the town centre has put us off that idea.

The film will be a 2pm start. Presumably people will have lunch beforehand. Any ideas of wording the invite??

WooWooOwl Mon 01-Sep-14 21:53:52

Popcorn, sweets, cupcakes and ice cream sounds like a lot of sweet stuff to give children right before they will need to have dinner.

Teddybeau1988 Mon 01-Sep-14 21:57:09

Hmm your right. They'll all be on a massive sugar rush.

MyFirstName Mon 01-Sep-14 22:08:36

Umm...party = sugar rush. It is what parents expect surely? grin

Cheeky76890 Mon 01-Sep-14 22:15:34

What about packing popcorn, drink of apple juice, sandwich or sausage roll in the bag for the cinema? Then after sit in the foyer of the cinema, sing happy birthday and hand out a cup cake each

waithorse Tue 02-Sep-14 07:26:04

It's fine, but I wouldn't know how to word it on an invitation though.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 02-Sep-14 07:33:34

2pm start so c4 pm finish?? No need to say that there won't be food, IMHO. though no cocktail sausages means it's not a proper party smile

My 8yo wound be very embarrassed at everyone singing to him in the cinema lobby!!

CariadsDarling Tue 02-Sep-14 07:59:07

I think you need to give the children their snack before they go into the cinema and not had things out one the picture has started or they'll be asking each other what did you get, do you like it, can I swap with you etc? and disturb everyone around them.

So a box hand to them in the foyer so they can examine it before they go and sit down. But then would you be allowed to take food in or does it have to bought from the cinema shop?

If so perhaps just letting them have stuff from the cinema shop would be better. A hotdog or nachos, sweeties/popcorn and drink.

Teddybeau1988 Tue 02-Sep-14 08:47:57

The cinema do nibbles as a package. Ticket, small drink popcorn and ice cream for £8 a head.

CariadsDarling Tue 02-Sep-14 09:14:17

It sounds ok but like your husband I think there should be food and a more substantial snack. Perhaps the size up from small?

CariadsDarling Tue 02-Sep-14 09:15:08

sorry - otherwise it just seems too ordinary, like a saturday at the cinema for a group of classmates. It needs to be a bit more special.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now