ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Continuation of dog poo in straw - conversation with ym - am fuming

(12 Posts)
JustDontWantToSay Mon 01-Sep-14 16:43:01

So, for anyone who's interested - I complained about the dog poo via email this morning and the yard manager rang me to discuss it, along with some other points I'd raised. These points all related to the rules (some of which are petty, e.g. not parking my car in a specific place because the designated place was elsewhere, despite it not making a blind bit of difference where I parked). But - rules are rules and who am I to disagree?

Anyway, these rules were hammered home to me by her. I'd made the classic mistake of asking other owners what the rules were and they said "Oh you're not allowed to, but everyone does." Of course when I do it as a new livery I get yelled at. Sort of fair enough, I should have toed the line, but really, they were tiny transgressions, e.g. there's a no dog rule on the yard (except for the owner's dogs and as it transpires various others). I had literally just picked up our puppy and was hurrying to get back to the stables so I didn't get told off for not mucking out in time. I couldn't leave such a tiny puppy in the car alone, it wouldn't be fair, so I allowed my daughter to carry her onto the yard. The puppy was literally smaller than a guinea pig and did not get put down at any time. I then received a phone call from the ym complaining about it. I thought that was, frankly, ridiculous. It was a one-off and didn't put anyone out in the slightest. But rules are rules.

Over the last week I have noticed lots of rules being broken. I tell her in the email (as she had asked) and basically get told that yes, there are rules, but they don't apply to everyone. And this is not just a couple of things, this is a fair old amount and serious rules too. Regarding dog poo, I was told - suck it up or leave. Not quite as bluntly as that, but that was the message.

I'm at a loss here. AIBU?? To not want dog poo in my straw? Bear in mind that they are yard dogs and roam freely.... AIBU to be annoyed at how heavy-handed she is with me and yet others are allowed to do as they damn well please? Do I just need to accept that dogs are going to crap in my straw and that's that? She didn't even apologise! Seriously, MN, you must give it to me straight!!

dawndonnaagain Mon 01-Sep-14 16:55:35

Move. Now. She's barking!
(Sorry for the pun)!

BumpAndGrind Mon 01-Sep-14 16:58:40

I'd shit on her doorstep on my way out.

newfavouritething Mon 01-Sep-14 17:01:42

Either abide by her rules, or move yards. And use a fork for straw.

newfavouritething Mon 01-Sep-14 17:02:23

(can't find your other thread, was it in here or tackroom?)

you need to move on

Maxthecat Mon 01-Sep-14 17:09:50

As crap as it is, if they are yard dogs then you will have to accept they will shit in your straw. I get that it's rubbish but there may well be a day your grateful to those dogs for alerting the owners to intruders etc. as for everyone else being allowed to break the rules but you get pulled up on it, vote with your feet and leave! You pay money for what is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, not being able to relax for the fear of being bollocked makes it a lot less enjoyable! What other yards do you have around? So long as they have the basics, stable, field, arena etc then I would be seriously thinking about moving. I wouldn't be paying what I'm sure isn't a small amount of money (I know my horse costs enough!) to not be able to enjoy it. I moved from one yard because there were no rules, it was seriously an accident waiting to happen. I love the one I'm at now, no frills but much more relaxed smile

SanityClause Mon 01-Sep-14 17:12:02

What other options are there? Could you move to a new yard? If you did, would it be any better?

It sounds pretty crap, but if there's no competition, you might have to put up with it.

On the other hand, if there are other yards close by, for similar money, with no dog poo in the straw <vom face> then move as quickly as you can, and tell everyone how rubbish the current yard is, once you've gone.

JustDontWantToSay Mon 01-Sep-14 21:19:09

I really don't want to move sad There's nowhere quite as good (for us), I chose it for specific reasons. And there's an on-site bar grin

No, seriously, the facilities are excellent and we get to use them a lot, I've met some lovely people and I'm getting a lot of help with the horse (advice, I mean, not practical help.). I did go and look at another yard today but it didn't compare - only offered full livery (£700/month - think NOT), use of the facilities is restricted and there's no hacking nearby.

I think all in all I'm just going to have to get over it. It's not fair, but then life isn't fair. Time to be the bigger person.

newfavouritething the other thread was on here. I can't use a fork for the straw because of how it's placed and because it comes in stupid slices which are crap and fall apart at the slightest touch. It really does have to be armfuls of the stuff. Plus dog poo. GRIM.

Waitingaround Mon 01-Sep-14 21:35:21

I was on a yard like that and eventually chose to leave- best thing I ever did! I like a yard where the rules are transparent and apply equally to everyone.

faitaccompli Mon 01-Sep-14 21:54:23

For the short term, why not get her to lay the bed for you. You may have to pay a little extra, but at least she will be more careful about where her dog craps.

snowpo Mon 01-Sep-14 21:59:40

Is it shared straw? If its your own could you cover it. Unfortunately I think its not unusual, just usually you can see the poo and move it first.
Sounds pretty rule-heavy though. I don't think I have ever been shouted at by a YM and I've been at quite a few yards. It would make me feel uncomfortable & I'd be out of there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now