Urgent help

(38 Posts)
Cantbelievethisishappening Mon 01-Sep-14 16:13:43

So sorry..... I know this is not an AIBU but posting here for traffic.
Can anyone who has had a child with appendicitis tell me how quickly the pain came on. Was it a gradual increase in pain or did it start fairly suddenly ... any other symptoms?

PunkHedgehog Mon 01-Sep-14 16:18:02

YABU to ask here -if in doubt, call a doctor.

But to answer your question - can be either sudden or gradual. And it can be on the right side or central. Usually an increased temp/heartrate but don't rely on home measuring devices for this.

If you're worried your child may have appendicitis call your gp or take them to hospital.

Groovee Mon 01-Sep-14 16:19:20

I'd seek medical advice as quickly as you can.

Cantbelievethisishappening Mon 01-Sep-14 16:19:33

I have called my GP but am waiting for them to call back... thanks for response

nonetcurtains Mon 01-Sep-14 16:20:26

Going back years to own childhood, I got regular 'grumbling appendix' pain. Would come on very suddenly (usually first thing in the morning). Pain very severe, unable to stand, would curl up in a ball to try to ease the pain. No treatment given, it passed just as quickly after a day or so.
Other symptoms can be vomiting (usually greenish bile), headaches, no appetite.
If your child has pain in lower left abdomen do not encourage them to stand/walk etc. Take them to a&e.

nonetcurtains Mon 01-Sep-14 16:22:28

sorry meant lower right side

kentishgirl Mon 01-Sep-14 16:26:00

Take to A&E if very worried.

Pain can be on either side to begin with.

Can also be confused with constipation pain though :-)

Summerisle1 Mon 01-Sep-14 16:26:23

Appendicitis varies so much from person to person that's there's no standard formula for how it develops. Mine took 3 days from grumbling to being blue-lighted into hospital. I've known other appendixes to "go live" very suddenly.

With a child I'd take no risks at all. Go straight to A & E.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Mon 01-Sep-14 16:32:06

I had a 'grumbling appendix' as well. When it came up properly I was 19, on a night out which I bravely lol soldiered through and then had fish and chips. It only got a lot worse later. My bil had completely different symptoms. Get it checked, because mine burst as they went in, could have been a lot worse.

wolfe1 Mon 01-Sep-14 16:33:58

My DSS(15) had appendicitis about 6 months ago. It was gradual pain and started in his stomach and it got gradually worse and moved to the side where his appendix is. We were stuck on a long haul flight when it became quite painful and I just assumed is was bad stomach ache from eating something funny. He was quite poorly when he finally went to the hospital blush

Basically, if you are unsure then either ring the doctor or go to straight to A&E as there can be serious complications.

ScarlettlovesRhett Mon 01-Sep-14 16:37:13

Take straight to doctor, or a&e.

Farahilda Mon 01-Sep-14 16:40:38

How long is it likely to take your doctor to ring back?

If you touch her tummy, is it soft or is it tensed up as if she's 'guarding' it?

Cantbelievethisishappening Mon 01-Sep-14 16:50:40

Still waiting for call back..... They are usually fairly quick but not today....she seems to be in a huge amount of pain but it has come on quite suddenly which prompted my question. I have pressed her tummy gently and she says it hurts. She does not feel sick and has no temperature. The reason I have called GP first is because of issues at local A&E with people turning up during the day with what have turned out to be fairly low key illnesses/injuries without speaking to/seeing GP first. At this rate may just take her to A&E

londonrach Mon 01-Sep-14 16:53:36

Tbh if worried just take her to a & e. They much rather see a healthy child than one left too late.

needanew Mon 01-Sep-14 16:59:27

everyone has different pain go to A&E.

kippersmum Mon 01-Sep-14 17:56:42

DD has had appendicitis. The pain starts in the navel area & moves down to the lower right hand side during a time period of a few hours normally. If you press gently there it will cause a lot of pain.

Go straight to A&E & don't let DC eat or drink anything at all, not even water.

Good Luck

kippersmum Mon 01-Sep-14 18:00:00

The nil by mouth is in case it is appendicitis as DC will need a general anaesthetic

NoWayYesWay Mon 01-Sep-14 18:00:15

Probably too late for the OP but surely the first thing to do if you are unsure is to call Nhs direct ??? INFO HERE
They are trained to give advice. confused

newnameforanewstart Mon 01-Sep-14 18:04:57

If you push down on her stomach GENTLY then pull you hand away suddenly does the pain feel WORSE?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 01-Sep-14 18:09:22

How is she? Hopefully by now your GP has called back. If not go to A+E even if she's not got a temperature or been sick.

Fwiw when my DCs had abdominal pains I was advised with appendicitis it hurts to move - if they can jump up and down without pain, they rarely have it. As time went on, closer to mealtime, if they felt hunger pangs and said they were hungry it was less likely to be appendicitis. But these are words on a screen, take DD to experts.

choochoomcgrew Mon 01-Sep-14 18:13:17

My son had it when he was 10 sad He was sick, but it was like bile. He couldnt really walk but I didnt know it was appendicitis. Ex h took him to the docs straight away as I had to be in work, as soon as I went in and explained it to my boss she was like "errr thats appendicitis" and sent me running off to catch them up, by which point ex h had been told to get him to hospital asap. I
From what I remember it is quite different to a tummy bug. You havent posted in a while, Im guessing it is appendicitis - hope everythng is ok!

Beetlemilk Mon 01-Sep-14 18:17:40

Go to A&E if she is in a huge amount of pain.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 01-Sep-14 18:23:15

A&E if in a lot of pain. Appendicitis isn't the only possibility.

sashh Mon 01-Sep-14 18:38:06

You have a child who is obviously ill and in pain, go to A and E.

No one in A and E will be bothered, parents usually know better than medical staff when their child is ill.

If it turns out to be wind so what? If it is appendicitis or it is something else that needs medical attention you will be in the right place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now