AIBU to give my daughter both middle names?

(28 Posts)
JuniorMumber Mon 01-Sep-14 09:56:34

We are registering DD's birth in an hour and can't decide between two middle names. I like both equally. Is it a bit pretentious to give her both? The logic is if we give her both she can drop one, but she can never add one in. I'm keen to give her name options for when she's older because we went for a quirky first name. The middle names we can't choose between are 'Beatrix' and 'Rosalie'. All the names involved are quite strong.

LittleBearPad Mon 01-Sep-14 09:57:41

Give her both. It isn't pretentious to have three forenames.

tiggytape Mon 01-Sep-14 09:57:58

Lots of people have 2 middle names. I don't think it is unreasonable to use both at all.

dexter73 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:58:51

My dd has 2 middle names as there was one I wanted and one dh wanted. It doesn't cost any extra wink!!

MrsMook Mon 01-Sep-14 10:06:26

DS1 has two middle names. One, DH and I agreed on easily. The other was my choice after a realative. There's a few with two middle names in my family.

waithorse Mon 01-Sep-14 10:09:27

Give her both. Not pretentious in the slightest. Both lovely names. Congratulations. thanks

FryMyFollicles Mon 01-Sep-14 10:12:55

Both! My DDs both have three forenames. Why not - if they grow up and think they're pretentious, unneccessary or silly, they don't have to use them. On the other hand, it potentially gives them lots of choice for alternative names. Your choices are both lovely.

Mrsjayy Mon 01-Sep-14 10:14:34

My dd has 2 middle names I regret it because I didn't think id have anymore children and it is grand parent names I had another girl oops and its so bloody long on school report cards and offical letters she hates for filling (she is an adult) I wish we hadn't bothered

Mrsjayy Mon 01-Sep-14 10:15:36

Oh I dont think its pretentious though

SmallBee Mon 01-Sep-14 10:18:28

My DD has two middle names, we couldn't choose between them so thought why bother? Hardly anyone uses middle names anyway so it really won't matter.

owlborn Mon 01-Sep-14 10:19:45

I just went to a christening for a child with two middle names. I think it's quite normal these days and if your DD thinks it's a problem she can always just not use one. BTW, I love both those names.

Many congrats!

I have two and they are both long names, never bothered me I drop one if I cant fit my name on form. Both my kids only have one but wish I had given them two and not let my ex get his way.

liquidstatehasrisenagain Mon 01-Sep-14 10:23:47

Actually sometimes two middle names mean there is a nice flow to the full name like in my DDs case

Hope you chose to have the two names! And congratulations.

lottieandmia Mon 01-Sep-14 10:24:22

I think it's fine to use both.

Bowlersarm Mon 01-Sep-14 10:26:57

Give her both.

I have two middle names, it's quite nice.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 10:30:25

DS has 2 middle names, one after my granddad and the other was a name I had liked as a first name but DH said no, so I said it has to be a middle name. Most people only use his first name and one middle name, but DS corrects them to add the second middle name as he likes it.

Give her both. My DS has two, after his two granddads.

LarrytheCucumber Mon 01-Sep-14 10:34:22

I have a friend with four daughters and they all have two middle names because they think there are just so many lovely names to choose from.

CornChips Mon 01-Sep-14 10:37:50

DS has two, because I wanted my Dad's name in there and on DH's side there is a family tradition of a partic middle name. smile Works for us very well.

Also- I agree- so many lovely names to choose from!

squoosh Mon 01-Sep-14 10:40:55

I think middle names are a complete irrelevance so it doesn't matter if she has five or none.

JuniorMumber Mon 01-Sep-14 12:39:28

Thanks all - we put down both middle names and I'm very pleased with the decision.

waithorse Mon 01-Sep-14 13:15:45

Well done, good decision. smile

NotNewButNameChanged Mon 01-Sep-14 13:26:06

Can someone please explain the need for a middle name? I know it is the 'done' thing but I don't have a middle name and I have a female friend who has no middle name. It doesn't bother us but because it is unusual it's surprising how often people say "oh, you've left out your middle name" when we've filled out an official form. Some people have actually disbelieved that we don't have one!

AmberLav Mon 01-Sep-14 13:50:59

Middle names can make you a little more unique - I remember when buying a house, the solicitor did the bankruptcy check, and there was no one there with my name (2 middle names), whereas DH had to confirm that he wasn't on of the hundreds of Name Surname's on the list (no middle names)!

But it used to annoy me as a child that I could never get anything personalised, as they all had space for 3 initials...

I have two. And I'm not pretentious. I hope.

You will find that a lot of forms, let's etc only include the first middle name though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now