ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to be absoloutely terrified.

(14 Posts)
dippyrainbow Thu 28-Aug-14 14:59:55

Nc.

We have been trying for a second baby for 2 years now. It's been a long and difficult road. As such, despite knowing it wouldn't help,.. I found it so difficult.. I've put on 5st. .. I was 10 st and a size 10 when I got pregnant with my ds. Now I'm size 18. 15st. I'm 5'2..my bmi ofc is high now.

Last Friday we finally got our bfp. As you can imagine, we are beyond happy.

But now the reality of being overweight and pregnant has hit me hard. I'm now terrified: there will be something wrong with the baby/ we'll both get poorly / I won't have an easy natural birth like first time ..etc etc..

Am I freaking unnecessarily or .. what can I do?!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 28-Aug-14 15:04:02

Well, you can stop freaking out for a start.

smile

Don't do anything major. Fill up on fruit and salad, drink water and try to go for a walk daily.

It's a small start but I expect you'll feel better once you're tackling it.

ChampagneTastes Thu 28-Aug-14 15:06:12

Dippy congratulations! flowers

I understand your concern but at the same time, don't panic too much. Do you eat healthily? Lots of fruit and vegetables, that sort of thing? If you are overweight, it's best not to "diet" as such but you can add things to your lifestyle like very gentle, regular walks which will improve your over all health.

The likelihood is that everything will be just fine, just look after yourself from this point on and enjoy your pregnancy. Congratulations again, lovely news.

I like this little saying, it speaks volumes.

Worrying works! 90% of the things I worry about never happen.

You certainly do NOT have to eat for 2 so just look at your diet now and get healthy. Lots of nice natural foods.
As PP said a nice stroll every day for a little bit of healthy exercise will also work wonders.
Or you could buy yourself an exercise DVD for pregnancy.

Try not to worry about something that is unlikely to happen anyway.

Congratulations.

Littleturkish Thu 28-Aug-14 15:15:11

Go see your GP and get them to help you plan a diet for being overweight and pregnant- get them to weigh your fortnightly, and you can safely lose in a controlled way during pregnancy, but you need proper medical supervision.

Good luck and huge congrats on your bfp!

Lj8893 Thu 28-Aug-14 15:16:48

I was just over 15st when i fell pregnant and am slightly taller than you at 5"5. I can honestly say my weight didn't affect my pregnancy at all. Every pregnancy is, of course, different and you may have a difficult time but this may or may not be because of your weight.

i just made sure i didn't use my pregnancy as an excuse to eat for 2 or eat rubbish food, and i stayed active. I continued walking to work and went swimming regularly. I was going to do a antenatal yoga class but it clashed with my job (and was pricey!)

good luck thanks

ArsenicyOldFace Thu 28-Aug-14 15:18:13

Congratulations flowers

Do what you can. Starting with keeping your stress levels down as much as possible smile

KingJoffreys suggestions make sense.

tittifilarious Thu 28-Aug-14 15:18:40

I was overweight with dc2. I tried to eat healthily and not put any more unnecessary weight on. I wasn't that successful - in the early months I craved starchy things. But, all of my indicators like BP, urine etc were fine. I had an easy pregnancy and a brilliant water birth.

Worrying won't help. Taking practical steps and advice from your doc will.

Congratulations btw grin

ElephantsNeverForgive Thu 28-Aug-14 15:22:23

Walk, swim, eat a healthy diet and stop worrying.

My DF was your sort of size, shorter and 42, her delightful DS is almost three and you've just reminded me to get him a card grin

HaveTeaWillSurvive Thu 28-Aug-14 15:32:54

I was the same when I had surprise bfp and was very overweight. I was so paranoid and weighed myself religiously every week, I actually lost weight as I stopped eating rubbish (was certain I'd get gestational diabetes - I didn't) and felt really sick in the evenings till 29wks so was going to bed at 7.30pm.

In the end it was all smooth sailing so try to relax - stress is worse than fat IMHO flowers

dippyrainbow Thu 28-Aug-14 15:33:51

I eat well and regularly exercise but have issues controlling my binge eating. Hence the huge weight gain.

I just feel so scared. I'm worried about being treated differently and I won't get the same experience as I had first time and that as it took so long.. It might all go wrong..and be my fault.

WorraLiberty Thu 28-Aug-14 15:49:51

Congratulations thanks

I can understand why you're worried but at this stage, worrying won't change anything...it will just stress you and the baby out.

Discuss it with your GP and see if they can come up with something to help.

ebwy Thu 28-Aug-14 16:25:15

I have two children. I'm size 22 and 5'1.5".

I was even bigger when I had the second.

No diabetes or any other weight-related issues in pregnancy.

don't worry

ikeaismylocal Thu 28-Aug-14 17:05:10

Having a high bmi doesn't automatically mean you'll have problems with pregnancy and birth, my bmi was probably similar to yours when I became pregnant with ds, I had no problems at all apart from slightly high blood pressure in the llast couple of weeks but my mother ( who is extremely slim) also had high blood pressure and the midwife felt it was likely my high blood pressure was genetic rather than because I had a high bmi. Ds's birth was really really lovely, I was up and active the entire labour and I pushed him out in 2 pushes.

Although I was overweight I was very active whilst pregnant, I walked everywhere, I probably walked 4-5km each day and I think that really helped.

Congratulations flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now