to ask what job you do if you only work school hours

(63 Posts)
chocnwine Thu 28-Aug-14 14:56:20

....posting here for more traffic.

Looking for work.. one of my DC is severely autistic and we therefore cannot access childcare. So I can only work school hours. No evenings and weekends either (no family to support either) .

There doesn't seem to be a lot available. Or maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

so if you have a school hours job - what do you do? I need some inspiration.

Slutbucket Thu 28-Aug-14 22:13:34

You could assess customer service and business qualifications. If you freelance you work your own hours. Look at FE careers there are loads of jobs!

grillembakeemfryemeatem Thu 28-Aug-14 22:17:26

School Business Manager. Term time only but not strictly school hours.

polkydot Thu 28-Aug-14 22:25:53

I second looking on nhs jobs. The team I work for supports children with complex health needs and some of our care packages are just for nursery, so 5 days a week 9-12 or 8:45-12:15. Pays better than most care roles as well. The job adverts don't always specify hours so always worth calling to ask.

HonestAl Thu 28-Aug-14 22:31:45

Prossie?

ninaprettyballerina Thu 28-Aug-14 22:34:51

Business analyst for one of the large banks. I work 21 hours over 4 days so pretty much 9-230. Pay is ok too

MuscatBouschet Thu 28-Aug-14 22:39:17

I have a research job in a university. Work from home except for occasional meetings. 25 hours a week. 9 weeks holiday a year. But could negotiate this because I had been working there a decade.

In my experience, lots of small businesses would like very part-time admin help because they can't afford full-time. My sister found admin work by posting her CV through the pigeon hole of companies in a local office complex!

I'm self employed. Interpreter. I could work only school hours if I chose to.

fairgame Thu 28-Aug-14 22:47:58

I am in a similar position. DS has ASD and doesn't cope in childcare.

I used to work as a school nurse, 9.30-2.30 term time. Gold dust job but i had to give it up to get legal aid for SEND tribunal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my mind open that something else will come up, although i can work more hours now as DS is in an out of county special school.

I've probably outed myself now :D

Shedding Thu 28-Aug-14 23:00:40

DH works in retail between the school runs but works the weekends too. I have had quite a few NHS admin jobs that fitted around school hours. Either because they were flexible or clerking a clinic that runs eg. 9:30-1pm daily. These are all very badly paid by the way!

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Thu 28-Aug-14 23:03:02

I worked in a call centre, bagged a term time contract.

I work in a pre school now, if I opt to work in the holidays I can bring my dc in too.

CointreauVersial Thu 28-Aug-14 23:06:24

Administrator for an Engineering company. I look after Sales, Marketing and do various Office Management bits and bobs.

Nusalembongan Thu 28-Aug-14 23:48:05

Really interesting. It's the holidays that are hard though I think. Good thread with some great ideas.

CointreauVersial Fri 29-Aug-14 13:17:16

Are you in Surrey/Hampshire? This company run good holiday playschemes and might be able to accommodate your autistic child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now