to think you don't need an app for everything?

(9 Posts)
elvenbread Thu 28-Aug-14 14:08:45

Perhaps I'm just being a miserable fart but Aibu to think you don't need an app for everything? Just heard of the rice krispies baking app. Surely just baking with your kids is fun enough.
I am a teacher and find more and more kids struggle with concentration. I do think it's possible that technology is somewhat responsible. Some children don't learn to focus on one thing e.g. baking whilst playing the baking app game.
I could be completely wrong about the technology being linked but who knows.

DoJo Thu 28-Aug-14 14:21:59

The apps are really just adverts that you choose to download and carry around with you. If people have trouble concentrating then apps are a symptom, not a cause.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 28-Aug-14 14:23:31

I don't have an app for anything. Wouldn't even be sure how to get one/what to do with it if I had it. Still happily alive.

I'm sure others will disagree, though. The constant attachment to technology really annoys me. Have a phone for communication, but don't worry, you'll still be alive if you put it away for 5 minutes smile

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 28-Aug-14 14:34:28

You know the app has recipes on it? It's not a game. It's for looking up ideas for recipes which you then bake in the traditional fashion.

Kind of like a recipe book.

Some apps are games, but most of the apps I use are for information: maps, train and bus times, weather, stopwatch, radio, banking, pizza express offers <actual thing>. They're not all games and really they're not all bad.

Eminybob Thu 28-Aug-14 14:43:42

I use an app for breastfeeding, it times how long on each breast, tells you how long between feeds and which breast to start on next time. I know all of these things can be accomplished using a watch and a hair bobble round my wrist but it is easier. However... (getting to my point) when I was first using it, I would spend so much time making sure I pressed start at the right time, pausing it when DS paused, etc etc that I wasn't paying enough attention to my feeding baby. I still use it but am more relaxed about it now.

So I see your point, we do spend so much time on technology I think we can be missing out on real life sometimes.

It's good to have stuff that makes life easier, but that's all it should be, not the life itself.

elvenbread Thu 28-Aug-14 14:46:30

Lonny. It says it's a game. Something about finding the krispies around marshmallow land. I haven't got it so just going off what I heard on the advert.
DoJo. How do you know it's a symptom not a cause. I disagree although I'm not a medical expert.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 28-Aug-14 14:51:08

The Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies Baking App gives you quick access to treat recipes right where you need them: on your iPad

Although tbf I wouldn't be downloading it as it's full of marketing. I use the BBC food app for cooking.

DoJo Thu 28-Aug-14 15:43:44

Because people with short attention spans have existed for longer than apps.

elvenbread Thu 28-Aug-14 15:48:13

It doesn't mean it's not a factor for some people though. Diabetes or cancer , for example, can be caused by numerous things. I imagine a lack of concentration can too (although I'm obviously not comparing the severity of these conditions).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now