To really hate kids talking in baby voices

(58 Posts)
Coolas Thu 28-Aug-14 11:27:13

There's one sitting next to me at the moment in the hairdressers. She's about 7 and she's talking like a 2 year old. Mum is looking on lovingly.

WorraLiberty Thu 28-Aug-14 11:28:47

Doesn't bother me when kids do it

When adults do it, I want to smack them with a bag of haddock

runningonwillpower Thu 28-Aug-14 11:29:11

It's grown up women who use the baby voice that really get my goat.

Coolas Thu 28-Aug-14 11:29:53

Uhhhh. It's infuriating.

ghostisonthecanvas Thu 28-Aug-14 11:31:59

Baby voices used by anyone over the age of 3 really annoy me.
YANBU

JessieMcJessie Thu 28-Aug-14 11:33:55

As a not yet but potential mother, can I ask if it's possible to raise a child without using any sort of baby talk? I can't imagine it coming out of my mouth but I suppose babies learn language from repetition and exaggerated sounds don't they? Thread hijack, sorry. As you can tell OP, since I don't like the idea of babies doing baby talk, YANBU!

Eggybread00 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:34:30

Drives me crazy, my girls sometimes do it (6 & 8). They don't realise how cute they are chatting in their normal voices and think talking like a baby is sweet- mine are very quickly corrected!!

Eggybread00 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:38:04

Jessiemcjessie- baby talk by babies is fine! It's baby talk because they can't pronounce everything. Baby talk by those over 4 is kind of a sickly way of talking- I can't quite describe!

Coolas Thu 28-Aug-14 11:39:16

Hairdresser asked if she wanted her fringe cut "ess, a widdle bit pees"

Cringe.

fairgame Thu 28-Aug-14 11:43:20

YANBU my 7yo niece does it. Its attention seeking when she does it and it gives my brother the rage. We ignore her til she starts talking properly.

NamesNick Thu 28-Aug-14 11:46:06

can we please excuse children (like my daughter) who sound like a baby due to not being able to pronounce words and currently attending SALT?

I am aware that my 4yr dd sounds like a baby sometimes and was very conscious of a woman sitting next to us in the doctors yesterday listening to dd and raising her eyebrows at the way she was communicating? I speak to dd in my normal voice and encourage her to do same but due to her phonics being quite bad she sounds a lot younger im afraid

ive never really thought about how it would affect the people around me...perhaps I need to stop dd from communicating in public?

problem for dd is that she is really tall and people just assume she is older.

Davsmum Thu 28-Aug-14 11:47:02

YANBU - It sounds horrible, but worse when a mother speaks like that to her child, especially when her child is over 2 years old.

Some women talk like that too - I worked with a woman who was 28 and she would talk in a babyish way to the men in the office. Most of them seemed to like it. Freaky!!

JessieMcJessie Thu 28-Aug-14 11:47:13

OP, ew! That mother should be ashamed.

Eggybread I was thinking more of adults talking to babies in a kind of high pitched cutesy voice and saying things like "ooh, LOOK it's a choo choo, you like choo choos don't you yes you DO!" sort of things.

To be fair it's a totally different thing than what the OP posted about!

StillWishihadabs Thu 28-Aug-14 11:48:11

I can't stand it ( and actually I think you can tell when it is put on, rather than a developmental thing) I have tried to avoid it by praising grown up and mature behaviour.

LadyLuck10 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:49:01

grin Op it does sound so annoying on grown women.

Nicknack I think the op is obviously not referring to kids with sn.

LadyLuck10 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:49:20

Sorry NamesNick

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 28-Aug-14 11:49:54

Talking like a baby when they can talk perfectly well is really annoying. It is really annoying when adults do it to children too, I never spoke like that to mine, I wanted then to know how to say things correctly. Obviously they didn't to start with but they learned to.

If a child has speech problems that is different and I think you can normally tell the difference, one of my DD's friends can't pronounce her words properly and is going for SALT too but you can tell she isn't putting on baby talk.

NamesNick Thu 28-Aug-14 11:50:16

dd does sometimes call me mama in a deliberate baby voice. ..she gets the look...

that I will not stand for

LaFlambeau Thu 28-Aug-14 11:51:20

Jessie, in short, yes.

I'm not into baby talk, and DP and I tend not to dumb down our vocabulary for DD.

I don't think this has hindered DD's development; she is very articulate and has an above average vocabulary.

NamesNick Thu 28-Aug-14 11:52:30

Ladyluck you're right...im a little on edge about yesterday's uncomfortable experience and recent developments at SALT.

oversensitive me...gonna go flounce now grin

FranksBobot Thu 28-Aug-14 11:53:21

Yanbu it drives me insane. Dd occasionally does it, she gets told to talk properly or she will be ignored.

NamesNick Thu 28-Aug-14 11:53:38

Although I might change my name to nicknack...cheerssmile

dolallymum Thu 28-Aug-14 11:55:00

I know a 9 yr old who talks like this, it makes me cringe.

Curlyweasel Thu 28-Aug-14 11:55:46

NamesNick - think op was talking about children who use baby talk as an option, not those who have no choice in it.

Jessie - I didn't use cutesy talk with my dd. She's now 8, speaks very eloquently and has an amazing vocabulary. That said, I've got a 4 month old and he only responds to me and DP speaking like dribbling idiots. You'll do anything to get a smile.

Curlyweasel Thu 28-Aug-14 11:56:39

OP - YANBU. My dd's friend does it and I HATE it. When DD does it, I just give her the look and she soon knocks it off. Even she knows it's idiotic (she just does it to wind me up).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now