To take an 8 week old camping in this weather?

(25 Posts)
doublechocchip Wed 27-Aug-14 21:20:38

Ok in our defence we booked when it was all lovely and sunny a few weeks ago. Meant to be going with a big group of friends and their children. Got 2 older dc's who will be fine but am worried it's too cold at night for 8 week dd. we also don't have electric hookup so no heaters!

We were only going for 2 nights but am now thinking of sending dh, the older dc's and just going up for the day on Saturday (site about 45mins away).

Aibu to keep her at home overnight? Or am I being unduly careful?!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 27-Aug-14 21:22:41

Where abouts are you? There's quite a variation in temperatures around the UK at the moment.

306235388 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:22:59

I definitely wouldn't take a little one.

Even in the height of the summer dd (3) got REALLY cold during the night because she wriggled out of her sleeping bag

henrysmate Wed 27-Aug-14 21:24:43

It depends on where you are, what kit you have with you and how used to camping you all are, they all make big differences.

doublechocchip Wed 27-Aug-14 21:27:41

Going to a place in Shropshire, temp is showing at 12 one night and 10 the next so looks pretty chilly! We are used to camping but not done it with a dc so young before.

henrysmate Wed 27-Aug-14 21:39:39

Well I can see how you're concerned. It's not at all beyond doable, a little cot would keep her toasty, but I'd say if you're at all worried then stay home. Why give yourself that level of panic? Stay home, spend some one on one time together, then turn up on site with a flask of hot coffee (irish perhaps?) and enjoy the fun bits with friends too.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 27-Aug-14 21:44:47

We did with ds2 at that age but I think it was a couple of degrees warmer.

It'll be a constant worry for you, do you live close enough to sleep at home and go to the campsite for the rest of the fun?

Beavie Wed 27-Aug-14 21:49:50

I really wouldn't. I was at a festival near Northampton from weds last week until Monday last week, and even sleeping in my caravan with a 13.5 tog duvet and 4 year old dd2 in bed with me to keep me warm there was a couple of times that I woke up from cold. All the people sleeping in tents were absolutely freezing, no matter how well equipped they were. My friend was camping in Weymouth the same weekend, he is well into camping and has all the kit possible to keep warm, and him and his dc were so cold they came home a night early.

Autumn is here.

Beavie Wed 27-Aug-14 21:50:29

*monday THIS week that should be

MissWimpyDimple Wed 27-Aug-14 21:53:44

Last weekend was especially cold, but even so I don't think I would do it. 8 week old babies have a hard time regulating their temps. I would go up for the day.

Normally I'd say yes, go for it - we took 4wo dd2 in September a few years ago BUT not this year. We were in Dorset last week and the temperature fell to 6 degrees one night, dd2 (now 2) woke up a few nights and she was freezing despite her babygro, padded sleepsuit and 2 blankets so we had her in between us in our sleeping bag. I've never been cold at night in August before, there has been a real dip in temperatures this year. That said, it's meant to warm back up again if it's next weekend you're going?

Janethegirl Wed 27-Aug-14 22:12:54

Took my little one, 6 weeks old, on a canal boat. She slept on my stomach and was very happy. Depends on the baby, mine even slept through the night....mind you food was on tap grin

littlewhitebag Wed 27-Aug-14 22:13:07

It is hardly the depths of winter. Inuit babies survive in extreme low temps. Your baby will be absolutely fine camping, in August, in the UK!

lisaloulou84 Wed 27-Aug-14 22:19:56

My extremely healthy best friend has just come back with a terrible cold after leeds festival. I was in a hut this time last year and actually had to get up at 2am and walk around for bit to warm myself up. So no I wouldn't take my 8 week old!

I remember one awful camping trip with DS when he was 11months (a good 9 years ago). It was August, in Derbyshire, and I really hadn't thought it would get that cold - and I had no winter clothes for him. He spent the first night in his sleepsuit, vest, dressing gown, mittens, blanket and my fleece wrapped round him, and I barely slept all night, convinced he would die... The next day I insisted on being driven to the nearest Asda and stocking up on winter sleepsuits, jumpers, dungarees...

But he's my PFB and I spent most of his first year worrying that I would get something wrong and he would die. THought TBH I think your plan of going for the day is probably the best one - even though your baby will probably come to no harm, stressing about it will make the trip less fun.

Janethegirl Wed 27-Aug-14 22:38:23

I must be lucky cos I didn't kill my dcs by accident grin

mummymeister Wed 27-Aug-14 23:20:00

if you are going to be worried about your lo all night and how cold they are then you aren't going to get much sleep at all so the break is going to be pretty pants for you. so for this reason alone I just wouldn't do it. went camping in May. fully clothed in sleeping bag and quilt, hat and gloves. still so cold my teeth actually chattered. not my idea of a fun time for myself let alone a little one.

SummerSazz Wed 27-Aug-14 23:28:23

It really isn't that bad for well prepared campers - we camped last weekend when it was <5 degrees and the DC complained they were too hot! I had warm PJ's, 4 season sleeping bag, deep SIM and the tent carpet down with all 4 of us in one 'pod'.
To stay warmest you should sleep with one layer of clothes - body heat circulates in the sleeping bag and keeps you warmer than coats, hats, gloves etc (learned that one on a European scout camp in Luxembourg c.1988 <wistful>)

However even I think I would worry about an 8 week old.......

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 27-Aug-14 23:31:17

I'm taking my LO (5 months) next week for a few nights - we have thick sleeping bags, fleece blanket, thermal baby nest and he will co-sleep with me. BBC says 10 degrees at night. I'm hoping that we are well prepared but my family are down the road if it's too arctic.

IneedAwittierNickname Wed 27-Aug-14 23:43:39

I would!

Andbeavie I think I was at the same festival. I was in a tent and was more than warm enough. None of the people I was with were freezing at night.

Mind you I've camped in the snow, that really was cold!

Notso Wed 27-Aug-14 23:48:16

It's not that cold is it?

It depends how much you want to camp I suppose. I hate camping unless I am at a festival when there is copious amounts of alcohol to numb the misery of it.
I stayed in a tent one night when DD was 4 weeks old and loathed every second of it. She slept like a log though.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 27-Aug-14 23:48:53

That's a useful tip SummerSazz, thanks.

SummerSazz Thu 28-Aug-14 00:02:04

Schwarzkopf I think you're supposed to wear no clothes for max benefit but I'm not going that far lol!

whois Thu 28-Aug-14 00:06:31

I camped at the weekend and it was FUCKING freezing. Slept in thermals and puffa jacket. Not really suitable for a little baby. Yes I know baby's survive in other cultures but really when you're only 45 mins away send the older ones and you take baby for the day.

doublechocchip Thu 28-Aug-14 09:35:15

Ok I'm just going to go for the day you've convinced me that I'm not being over protective! I would be awake probably every hour worriedly checking her so going to make the most of a quiet house and a comfy bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now