To think we should now be aspiring to a colour-blind society, and that now..

(10 Posts)
ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 19:59:08

..would be a good time to officially articulate that aspiration and to adopt it as policy across the public sector.

Obviously, meaning colour-blindness in all directions.

We made a big leap forward with the findings of the MacPherson Report and that led to an understanding of institutional racism, which was overdue.

Following the events in Rotherham, we need to take the next step as a country, don't we?

Or is it still too soon?

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 20:09:33

Coupled with the MacPherson Definition of racism it would effectively form bookends, to prevent bigotry and fear of appearing bigotted.

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 20:17:55

I can't link the channel 4 news, but it was very in depth tonight if anyone's interested.

Serendipity30 Thu 28-Aug-14 12:31:17

Er no thanks. I would not like a colour blind society. I would prefer a non racist and more accepting one.

Serendipity30 Thu 28-Aug-14 12:33:06

Also your talking about two very different subjects child sexual abuse and institutional racism confused

scousadelic Thu 28-Aug-14 12:40:56

Serendipity Surely that's what colour-blind would be? Everyone treated the same regardless of their race, origins, etc. That's what I thought it meant anyway, that your "colour" would be totally irrelevant?

It sounds good but I don't think our society is ready for that yet. I think instead of a nice middle road we have an unfortunate polarised situation of racism (not just from one group either) in some people and unrealistic political correctness in others

FreudiansSlipper Thu 28-Aug-14 12:46:02

I cringe when someone announces they are colour blind

but hey if white middle class people say we are all the same and should not see colour why should anyone argue

What is wrong with celebrating your ethnic background and pointing out the injustices that sadly still happen

ArsenicyOldFace Thu 28-Aug-14 12:46:55

I'm suggesting public institutions should be colour blind Serendipity, not people.

And what the type of crime in Rotherham was isn't the point for the purposes of what I'm suggesting. There was a mini crime wave, but it wasn't addressed.

It sounds good but I don't think our society is ready for that yet.

You might be right scouse I just wish we could hurry up and evolve a bit.

ArsenicyOldFace Thu 28-Aug-14 12:48:56

I cringe when someone announces they are colour blind

Yes, I agree.

I should have made the 'institutions not people' thing clearer, shouldn't I?

Think along the lines of 'blind justice'

ArsenicyOldFace Thu 28-Aug-14 13:01:03

but hey if white middle class people say we are all the same and should not see colour why should anyone argue

It's more practical that that Freudian. And more urgent.

A white middle class Brit with any wit at all should realise that they are in a terrible position to understand the practical effects of inequality and try paying attention to the experience of working class Rotherhamites (of all ethnicities).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now