to think that my sore back isn't caused by depression?!?

(42 Posts)

Cut a long story short, I have suffered from (diagnosed) clinical depression for a long time which is being treated with counselling, no anti depressants though as they don't work well for me.

Today I went to the docs as I woke on Monday unable to move properly, the small of my back is in agony and it feels like I've trapped a nerve or something, regular paracetamol and ibuprofen hasn't been working so I hoped he would be able to give me something to dull the pain a bit.

Except he turned around and went "I doubt painkillers will work, it's just a symptom of your depression, the pain is in your head." hmm He didn't do a check up, only listened to me describe it, refused to listen to my protests that it was agony and just kept telling me when I felt better emotionally it would go angry

Now I'm no expert on depression, but I've been dealing with it since I was a teenager and physical pain has NEVER been a symptom for me, and this past year my life has actually been going pretty damn good, my depression getting better thanks to the counselling.

So aibu in thinking he was talking a load of shite and can go fuck himself for not giving me any pain relief?!? Can't even friggen sit properly atm, if I lay down my whole back seizes up and I can't move.

Sorry for the rant, just pretty pissed off.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Wed 27-Aug-14 19:32:06

YANBU! I would go back and demand proper assessment and treatment- bloody cheek- he sounds a total arse.

InculKate Wed 27-Aug-14 19:34:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shallan Wed 27-Aug-14 19:35:08

Go back and insist on a second opinion. I'd also put a formal complaint in tbh - the practice manager will be able to tell you the process. Bottom line that dr is discriminating against you based on your history of mental health problems. I'm also in treatment for depression, and for a back problem, and no dr has ever suggested the two are connected!

First time I've seen him, my regular doc has just retired and that was her replacement. Was that pissed I got up and hobbled stormed out. Hopefully the doc at the drop in centre tomorrow is a bit less of a dick. Just boiling mad about it sad

I'll definitely put in a complaint Shallan, never expected to get treated like that from a doctor

Shallan Wed 27-Aug-14 19:39:24

I would have been furious in your shoes - walking out is a pretty restrained response! Good luck tomorrow.

redexpat Wed 27-Aug-14 20:16:48

I remember reafing an article about how people with depression have to fight to get other stuff diagnosed because the gps just think its part of their depression. Go back, see a different doctor and complain to gp practice about the lack of oroper examination.

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Wed 27-Aug-14 20:24:38

Stress and depression can manifest in 'other' pains and illnesses.

Your new GP was a dick though the way he treated you.

My mother has had depression all of her life, once a GP called to our house and before she had finished telling him what was up with her, he started dismissing her.

In her 'state' she grabbed my brothers air riffle and held him hostage for 3/4 of an hour. She eventually let him go, police were called. But it got thrown out of court because the GP did not turn up.

True story. Maybe you should take her lead.....

Amammi Wed 27-Aug-14 20:32:03

My poor friend attended her doctor several times before he accepted there was something more than her depression causing her to be poorly. Sadly it was cancer. It stills makes me rage. Stick to your guns and make sure you get help for your sore back.

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 20:41:43

Yanb AT ALL U

Misogynistic crap, barely one step up from wandering wombs.

Do you feel able to complain?

OldFarticus Wed 27-Aug-14 20:45:06

I had similar experience with my former GP. Was still waiting for an appointment to be assessed by a MH professional at his insistence when I was diagnosed with cancer. Am no expert but I think the fucking massive tumour was more likely to be the cause of my abdominal pain than any lack of serotonin in my noggin. I am willing to bet this doesn't happen to men very often. hmm

Your GP is a dick and I don't blame you for storming out. See someone else and complain, complain, complain.

whathaveiforgottentoday Wed 27-Aug-14 20:45:13

Definitely get a 2nd opinion. Crap doctor. You have my sympathy and hope you feel better soon.

Heyho111 Wed 27-Aug-14 20:48:47

I would as to see another doctor at your surgery. I am aware that depression can effect you physically as I have seen it in a friend, but i am also aware that it is only some people who suffer from depression that have these symptoms.
It is unprofessional to jump to a conclusion without looking at other obvious causes.
Could you see a chiropractor if all else fails.

dogscatsandbabies Wed 27-Aug-14 21:46:24

Self refer to local NHS physio- in almost all areas of England now you don't need gp to refer you. Some physios now have independent prescribing rights and may be able to prescribe painkillers as well as treating the cause of your pain.

He's been a wanker! However, it is apparently true that lower back pain and depression are linked. My dp suffers from anxiety and his back pain is worse if he is particularly unwell, (as is his hayfever) however his doctor has said it is a physical thing due as he's physically stressed and therefore it is tenseness or something - bottom line, it's real, and he has been a right shit. Chronic pain is bloody depressing on it's own!

AFewFallenLeaves Wed 27-Aug-14 22:02:42

Definitely try to see a physio.

InculKate Wed 27-Aug-14 22:11:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoonvanBoon Wed 27-Aug-14 22:19:31

Most GPs would give anti-inflammatories, painkillers & possibly muscle relaxants too, assuming you're safe to take all these, if your back has really seized up. See someone else.

You can buy stronger anti-inflammatories OTC, including diclofenac 25mg, & safely combine them with OTC co-codamol in the meantime. Heat pads / hot water bottles can also really help. As can a few days of rest, although you obviously want to get back to moving normally as soon as you can.

Having said all that, unless you've also got leg pain, there probably isn't any reason to think that it's a trapped nerve or anything that requires further investigation at this stage. Chances are it will start to improve very soon, with some meds. to help along the way.

Slutbucket Thu 28-Aug-14 06:55:54

I had.pains in my k eggs, fever and hips and the doctor put this down to depression. I went to see a chiropodist who told me I had a few problems and must be in lots of pain everywhere! Hallelujah!

LoveBeingAwakeInTheNight Thu 28-Aug-14 07:06:14

Most GPs would give anti-inflammatories, painkillers & possibly muscle relaxants too

Yes to all of these, it sounds just like my back . Had a few really bad episodes over the last year or two.

It has felt fixed since I started AD nearly a month ago shock

Wouldn't an osteopath be better than a GP for back pain?

Eva50 Thu 28-Aug-14 07:26:19

I get a lot of aches and pains which are most likely symptoms of my depression. However, my GP has always taken all my complaints seriously and investigated even when I have felt there was no other underlying cause. It is not right that you are being dismissed like this.

CerealMom Thu 28-Aug-14 07:54:10

Sweeping generalisation here, but GPs tend to be rubbish at treating back pain. As pp mentioned, treat pain yourself and I'd treat cause yourself.

I've suffered for years with back and leg pain. Have found a combination of chiropractor/yoga/Pilates have helped. Chances are even your old GP would have only given you pain relief/anti inflams.

I would however send in a letter to the practise manager.

MrsCumbersnatch Thu 28-Aug-14 08:41:54

A few years ago, I was repeatedly told by my GP and counsellor that my depression was causing my pain and dizziness and guess what? It turned out to be MS. I was fucking livid as no one would listen and I'm stillcross about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now