To be looking forward to Winter

(81 Posts)
phonebox Wed 27-Aug-14 19:11:18

It's got to be better than this awful limbo of a season we're experiencing now.

I am looking forward to putting the heating on without feeling guilty, enjoying hot chocolate with lashings of cream (because when it's cold you need the energy), making stews, wrapping up in lots of woolly layers and stomping around in my boots, having the fire on in the pub...

But then again I'm not looking forward to the lack of sunshine, defrosting the car windshield in the dark (though only did that twice last Winter!) and driving around with perma-cold hands.

I give it until the 2nd week in November until I get the winter blues.

What do we reckon?

Judo123 Wed 27-Aug-14 19:12:31

You are entitled to like winter.

makeminea6x Wed 27-Aug-14 19:12:51

YABU because my new house currently has no heating, can't be double-glazed because it's listed and we can't use the fire at the moment.

And there is a hole in the roof.

Can't work out what to fix first...

atticusclaw Wed 27-Aug-14 19:12:56

Ive gone a bit winter prep mad with the cage in weather.

Winter quilts are on the beds, Ive ordered a new heated throw to keep me warm when I'm at my desk and I've had DH chopping wood in every spare moment!

Poofus Wed 27-Aug-14 19:14:07

YABVUI

ilovechristmas1 Wed 27-Aug-14 19:14:40

YANBU

ive already lit the fire a couple of times last week (no ch on though)

i hope we have a cold winter,cant stand a mild one

phonebox Wed 27-Aug-14 19:15:42

YABVUI - that's a new one - please decipher for me grin

A throw while I'm sat at my desk sounds like an amazing idea. <makes notes>

INeedSomeHelp Wed 27-Aug-14 19:17:34

I love a nice, crisp cold day. There is something so healthy about it. Don't like it if it's damp and cold and you get chilled through.

atticusclaw Wed 27-Aug-14 19:19:55

Oops, not sure what a "cage in weather" is. I meant the "change in weather".

It's already winter, isn't it? <Looks outside at the trees almost blowing over, rain lashing at the windows, and shivers, pulling another jumper on.> Didn't you get the memo? Winter now starts in August, there is no Autumn any more.

TheHorseHasBolted Wed 27-Aug-14 19:22:01

YANBU. I agree with everything in your post except I don't have a car to defrost and I don't like cream (I like hot chocolate without cream though).

I love love love not having to faff around with sun cream and I like autumn clothes much better than summer clothes. In fact I'm wearing boots today, and loving it. I'm really looking forward to the autumn leaves too.

scarletforya Wed 27-Aug-14 19:23:20

My winter blues always start after the clocks change at the end of October! It's like .........erm....clockwork!

atticusclaw Wed 27-Aug-14 19:24:43

Leaves are falling here. Its the worst thing about this time of year since we have a LOT of trees and clearing the leaves takes forever.

But I still love the nesting <wanders off to check the stock cupboard in case we're snowed in>

bananaleaf Wed 27-Aug-14 19:26:57

YANBU I hate sunscreen, wearing shorts, fizzy hair, irregular sunburnt patches, flip flop marks on feet, too hot to walk which I love doing etc etc Autumn winter clothes are so much better.. But the short days get a bit old ...

ruralmyth Wed 27-Aug-14 19:27:01

I'm trying to be positive here.
I hate the cold, dark days & especially icy roads but I love thick tights no shaving and lighting the fire. Also, why do winter potatoes taste better roasted?

TheWordFactory Wed 27-Aug-14 19:31:57

I was thinking earlier that winter will be a nice change but then I remembered that it will go on soo bloody long!

TheFirstOfHerName Wed 27-Aug-14 19:36:13

I much prefer the cold weather to the hot weather, and I like winter.

However, the winter in the UK can sometimes seem to last for several years, Game of Thrones style. So I leave things like changing to winter duvets, getting winter clothes out, turning heating on etc to the last possible moment (usually in late October), because winter can be very long, and I don't want to peak too early.

RedToothBrush Wed 27-Aug-14 19:40:12

YANBU.

If that volcano goes kaboom, you might get snow to go with it too.

paddyclampo Wed 27-Aug-14 22:09:40

Well i'm in England and i'm still wearing shorts! I love the summer smile

I hate the winter. I'm not too bad up to Christmas, but really struggle with January and the horrible dark mornings!

But you are entitled to find positive things about it I guess! :S

ilovesooty Wed 27-Aug-14 22:26:55

I absolutely hate winter. If I controlled the world there would only be spring and summer. There would never be any snow or ice and Halloween, Bonfire Night and Christmas would be scrapped.

DrCoconut Wed 27-Aug-14 22:31:34

We haven't had that great a summer really, I feel as if we are still waiting for it to kick in properly. So I'm not looking forward to winter at all. Those dark dreary days between Christmas and new year are the worst, so depressing and cold.

RedToothBrush Wed 27-Aug-14 22:35:00

ilovesooty Wed 27-Aug-14 22:26:55
I absolutely hate winter. If I controlled the world there would only be spring and summer. There would never be any snow or ice and Halloween, Bonfire Night and Christmas would be scrapped.

I can see some practical flaws to this...

ememem84 Wed 27-Aug-14 22:37:58

Winter is coming.

I can't wait. Bought new boots last week. Despite already having a million pairs. And have started wearing scarf again.

Bring on the jumpers. And hats.

atticusclaw Wed 27-Aug-14 22:40:53

Dr coconut where do you live? We had an amazing summer this year in the UK

atticusclaw Wed 27-Aug-14 22:41:56

I saw someone buying grit today. Even I'm not that bad with winter prep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now