To consider leaving Facebook?

(24 Posts)
ArgyMargy Wed 27-Aug-14 11:24:15

I'm finding it increasingly annoying and I have to stop myself posting sarcastic comments. I hate the round robins, the chain letters, the inane "challenges" and the ridiculously obvious fake "police advice" that people pass on without thinking. What, if anything, would I miss?

tittifilarious Wed 27-Aug-14 11:29:25

I've left.

I had so many people on "hide" it was ridiculous. All of the racist memes. The fake police advice. The attention seeking statuses. People from work posting really unprofessional stuff which I felt was compromising. my friend's terrible grammar

I miss posting funny things to people's walls. The ease of making arrangements or having group messages. My birthday being forgotten as apparently people don't use calendars any more.

losthermind Wed 27-Aug-14 11:31:29

Nothing whatsoever!!! People are too reliant on it, I do have an account but I only check it from time to time to catch up with relatives in Ireland, I don't think people remember that they used to function just fine before it invaded their lives

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 11:31:32

I did, about 2 years ago.

The things that have recently made me reconsider (although I haven't cracked yet) are;

Missing a couple of birthdays.
A couple of industry related groups I can't join.
A MN group I can't join.
A couple of the usual RL 'friend on FB' remarks that I would actually be pleased to take up for a change, if I still had FB

Pastperfect Wed 27-Aug-14 11:32:35

I like Facebook.

I enjoy seeing the photos, updates and general sharing of info.

I am not however friends with racist, sexist bigots who post crap about the world and other people.

You don't need to leave, just hide the stuff you don't want to see from your feed. I use my FB for news, comedy and debate.

BlueBrightBlue Wed 27-Aug-14 11:34:44

I deleted my account. I miss talking to my relatives overseas but I don't miss the horrible intrusion on my privacy and all of what you describe in your post.

tittifilarious Wed 27-Aug-14 11:35:39

Pastperfect

I am not however friends with racist, sexist bigots who post crap about the world and other people. it was my family that was the problem!

ArabellaTarantella Wed 27-Aug-14 11:35:57

I joined FB because of Slimming World support group. I have 3 SW groups, and 6 friends/relatives..........that's all. No aggro at all.

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 11:36:23

I still love not having to pollute my brain with it all though.

When the UKIP landslide happened, for instance, the number of threads on here inspired but inflammatory FB guff was extraordinary.

awsomer Wed 27-Aug-14 11:37:51

What's this 'fake police advice'? I feel like I've been missing out!

Silvercatowner Wed 27-Aug-14 11:38:51

I really enjoy FB. I use it to keep in touch with people I am friends with. I don't get the 'too many people on hide' - why are these people your friends? They aren't friends if they post shit like that. Hell, I'm so selective I haven't even had an ice bucket challenge video yet.

Pastperfect Wed 27-Aug-14 11:38:56

Titi grin

Just block em?

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 12:03:09

it was my family that was the problem!

grin

DoJo Wed 27-Aug-14 12:07:44

You don't have to leave FB, just get better friends or un-friend family members who hold objectionable opinions.

tittifilarious Wed 27-Aug-14 12:08:15

awsomer
What's this 'fake police advice'? I feel like I've been missing out!

Usually an urban myth copied and pasted to look like it has been circulated by police.My mum very earnestly told me of a scam involving a petrol station and being murderdeathkilled down the road by someone.

They're usually poorly written, make no logical sense and have been debunked on snopes but there will be loads of comments like "thanks for sharing", "stay safe guys", "omg that is disgraceful and should be banned".

Cerisier Wed 27-Aug-14 12:09:36

I like FB too. I like the interesting links, lovely photos and hearing what old friends are up to.

I have nobody from work on there, just a few sensible family members and close friends. My rule is if I wouldn't join them in a cafe if I saw them then they aren't close enough to be FB friends.

MrsDavidBowie Wed 27-Aug-14 12:09:49

Its your friends and family who are the issue not FB.
Block them.
I block anybody who shares quizzes, pictures of cute animals, uses the words hub or babe.
But then I only "friend" about 25 people. I do not automatically accept people as friends.
You are in charge of your account

Jayne35 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:34:16

Just hide more people op. I am starting to get a little fed up with challenges BUT they do raise a lot of cash for many worthwhile causes. I hate the sharing of 'warnings' and the missing children ones which haven't been checked. A friend posted one the other week and I commented that although that child did go missing, she was found two hours later - 6 months ago!!

I'm constantly sharing the link to Hoax Slayer to try and get people to check before sharing. Though helpfully since commenting on stuff like that I have been unfriended by a few of the worst offenders so result! grin

As others have said, it's what you make it. I don't get any of the problems others get with FB, but then I only have a handful of people as my "friends", don't except invites unless I know the person well, and get rid/hide posts of those who irritate me. I like FB because I'm strict with it. Nominated for the ice bucket challenge...nope!grin

19lottie82 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:59:07

I deactivated mine about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't regret it one bit. In fact it feels very liberating!

I have to admit I do log back in (the close it again) once every few months or so when I'm bored, for a little nosey about. It still doesn't convince me I'm missing out though.

ArgyMargy Wed 27-Aug-14 13:08:32

Most recent fake "police advice" was the claim that if you put your PIN into the cash machine backwards the police will turn up instantly to save you from the mugger who is forcing you to withdraw money.

Thanks for the posts - I think I need to unfriend a couple of people and use hide buttons etc for a bit before taking the ultimate step...

Summerisle1 Wed 27-Aug-14 13:09:13

You don't necessarily have to leave Facebook - not that it's any sort of crime to step away - but you might consider being very discerning in how you use it. I block anyone who posts racist shit or spam or truly irritating crap. I also classify people - friends or acquaintances - and take care who can see what I post. I'm also very careful who I accept as a friend on Facebook. I don't "hide" people either. If their posts are routinely too unreasonable to see on my Facebook timeline then they don't pass any sort of "friendship" test.

Increasingly, I'm finding Facebook much more useful as a sort of social diary. I'm a member of several groups where the use of Facebook to plan events is very handy. As is the ability to send/receive messages about group activities.

iliketea Wed 27-Aug-14 13:31:55

I deactivate often, but alway log in again because it's one of the main ways I communicate with far flung friends and relatives - I always end up logging back in to contact them via messenger. So YANBU, but make sure you write down all the contact details you need before you deactivate if you are going to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now