AIBU to want this guy to disappear??

(13 Posts)
textfan Tue 26-Aug-14 22:22:29

I am currently renting my flat through a letting agency. When I first moved in there was unbeknown to me a leaking pipe that was leaking water into the downstairs neighbour's flat. I have contamination ocd and it was extremely anxiety inducing having a plumber come into my new and to my mind clean new flat. The leak was found and repaired but for it to have done the damage he claimed it must have been obvious to him that there was a leak before I moved in (I believe he claimed entire new bathroom and ceiling on my landlady's insurance).

I've been here several years now and this year the letting agency have brought to my attention that he regularly complains about me. That I don't collect the post when I should (I am a sahm and I collect it when I go out as Post is delivered down at front door (shared letterbox )), He doesn't like when I put my bin out/take it in (due to the ocd I do it within a set routine so I tend to put it out early evening the day before collection (he puts his out the morning of that day), and I take it in the following evening (Which he thinks is too late, but if I worked it would have to be done then).

He is not a great neighbour himself and I could certainly make complaints about him, but frankly don't need more grief, plus he owns his flat so who would I complain to? He has also been quite intimidating.

Anyway, as he's now claiming another leak, My landlady (lives and works in England) is sending her mum round to see what the problem is, but her mum is friendly with his mum I think and therefore may be biased, or at least feel awkward telling him it's his problem.

I love my little flat and don't want to have to move but this is getting beyond a joke.

Help

fluffyduffydoo Wed 27-Aug-14 00:53:54

Ok first things first

They may actually be a leak, there has been a leak before so perhaps it has not yet been properly fixed?

The leak is in no way your fault though and that is up to the landlord/lady to fix however you will have to give access to workmen to sort this out

I'd advise they send a plumber or a professional rather than the landyladies mum (unless she's a plumber)

kentishgirl Wed 27-Aug-14 10:13:13

I don't understand why you are annoyed about his reporting leaks. If there's a leak, it needs to be fixed. Having a leak isn't exactly something you can fake. If he is exaggerating a bit to get extra off the landlord's insurance - you suggest this about the first leak - then that's the landlord's problem, not yours. Even if you owned your flat you'd have to get someone in to fix problems like this, so YABU on this.

On his complaints. Maybe he's just a complainer. They sound like minor issues and if the letting agents haven't bothered to bring these up with you each time, it seems they realise this and are ignoring it.

What time you collect your post is a silly thing to complain about - unless you are leaving piles cluttering up the place for days or weeks, which you don't seem to be. Or do you only go out once a week? I don't know.

Putting the bin out for 24 hours at a time could be a bit antisocial, to be honest. Is it out of the way or what? And when you say 'bin', is it an actual bin that goes out or a bin bag as you are in a flat? If you are putting bin bags out then you really shouldn't do it the night before as they draw rats and foxes and other vermin, and can get broken open all over the place. If it's a secure bin, that shouldn't be an issue, but does he have to keep walking right past it? Does it smell (most bins do after a week)? Is it attracting flies? Many councils ban you from putting bins out the night before, for these reasons.

HangingBasketCase Wed 27-Aug-14 10:26:36

He sounds like a petty twat to be honest. It's perfectly acceptable to complain about a leak but the other stuff is just stupid and I doubt the letting agents of landlady take any of that rubbish seriously, they probably think he's as much of a nuisance as you do,

On a side note, why do some people complain about petty stuff? Do they get a buzz from it?

pinkdelight Wed 27-Aug-14 11:51:01

If you've been there years and it's only two leaks and niggles about bins and post then I think you're overreacting. There's always something with neighbours, especially in flats. It's quite extreme to want to move or for him to 'disappear'. Maybe you feel things more intensely with the OCD, but best if you can find ways to brush the worries aside. People everywhere can be annoying. You're probably a bit annoying with the bins and post just as he is annoying with his complaints. You could do a lot worse.

limitedperiodonly Wed 27-Aug-14 13:03:07

YABU. The leak isn't your fault but it has to be fixed. And it will probably be done under the buildings insurance, not your landlady's separate contents insurance, to which they will both contribute under the service charge.

That's generally the deal with blocks of flats so it's his insurance, not just your landlady's.

Put yourself in your neighbour's shoes. If you were anxious about a plumber coming into your flat, imagine how much worse your contamination OCD would be if water was coming into your flat with all the crap that lies in the ceiling space, ruining the ceiling and walls and generally making the place look and smell like a cave. And after all that you'd have workmen in for however long it took to repair the damage.

You can't exaggerate an insurance claim for damage caused by a leak. It's assessed by the insurers who send someone round. If you have delayed without good reason, then they may refuse to pay because you didn't do all you could to limit the damage.

So I imagine your neighbour didn't lie. Unbeknownst to you he might have been complaining about it to your landlady for some time. Or maybe it was a slow leak that couldn't be easily traced but ended up causing a lot of damage. That happens.

He might also have had a tussle with her over who was going to pay the excess. IMO she should have done. And this time she should be sending a plumber round, unless as a poster has pointed out, her mum happens to be one.

If I was your neighbour I'd be really pissed off, principally with your landlady but also with you if I thought you were delaying the repairs.

textfan Wed 27-Aug-14 15:57:38

I haven't been delaying repairs but I honestly can't see a problem in my flat, and even with the leak there's no need for him to make other petty complaints.

HappyAgainOneDay Wed 27-Aug-14 16:04:30

As an aside, I put my wheelie bin and crates (house) out the night before because the dustmen come at about 7.30am. I'm not going to run about out there in my nightie in the morning. I bring them in when I realise it's been emptied but, when I went to work, it had to wait until I returned home.

Everyone (well, most people) do the same here.

SallyMcgally Wed 27-Aug-14 16:08:41

Ditto in our street re binbags - everyone puts them out the night before. And when it's wheelie bins loads of people don't take them back until the evening - sometimes the next day. I don't think it's ever occurred to anyone to get upset about it.

TheCraicDealer Wed 27-Aug-14 16:21:46

YY to limited. I’d be freaking out if there was a leak coming from my upstairs neighbour and they weren’t willing to allow investigations into where it might be coming from. It might not be apparent to you but could easily be causing a considerable amount of damage to his ceilings, walls and decoration. And that’s before you start to think of the fusty smell that comes with escape of water claims that are left to sit.

I think you’re very happy in your little flat and see it as your sanctuary. Unfortunately when you’re living in close confines with others and share walls, conduits and services, you’re not able to simply tell everyone to jeff off and sort themselves out. Your landlady has a responsibility to help source the cause of the issue if it’s suspected it’s coming from her property. You have to allow this investigation to proceed, otherwise the repairs (which will happen regardless of how much of a fight you put up) will be even more invasive as the condition of the flat below deteriorates.

limitedperiodonly Wed 27-Aug-14 16:22:37

There's no problem in your flat OP because you're above him pissing down.

YABVU

PigletJohn Wed 27-Aug-14 16:32:02

I put mine out the night before

After collection, if I'm back and I see my neighbours are out for the day, and their bin is by the curb, I push it in for them.

PenelopePitstops Wed 27-Aug-14 16:36:05

I don't think it's getting beyond a joke. If there is a leak it needs investigating. As others have said, insurers will not pay out if the damage is left.

Quite frankly you sound unreasonable and like you are getting wound up about things when this man has done nothing wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now