Or should you offer a workman a drink?

(285 Posts)
Azquilith Tue 26-Aug-14 21:50:29

DP fixes appliances for a national firm, and visits up to 8 houses a day. In London he not only often gets let in by the housekeeper at the tradesman entrance, but is seldom offered a drink. In the recent hot weather it makes me fume that he's working in hot utility rooms, shunting appliances about for hours and doesn't even get offered a glass of water. Do you offer someone in your home a drink?

Annunziata Tue 26-Aug-14 21:50:53

Yes, and lunch as well. And to use the bathroom!

sewingandcakes Tue 26-Aug-14 21:51:42

I made several brews and lunch for the guy in our garden today; I wouldn't feel right if I didn't!

Xmasbaby11 Tue 26-Aug-14 21:52:47

Yes I would offer drinks and biscuits, just as I would anyone in my house. Not lunch though.

lunar1 Tue 26-Aug-14 21:53:11

Always, plus whatever meal I'm having if they are here for a few hours.

EmpressOfBedlam Tue 26-Aug-14 21:53:51

Yep always a cup of tea whenever I have one.

Jelliebabe2 Tue 26-Aug-14 21:54:20

Absolutely! Crikey what bad manners! I'd only not offer if they were only there to deliver something really quickly or were only there about 5 minutes!

trixymalixy Tue 26-Aug-14 21:54:24

Always. Very few take me up on it though.

ErmagerdANerknerm Tue 26-Aug-14 21:56:03

Always offer them a hot or cold drink once they've settled in, and if it rolls over to a meal time I will ask if they want anything to eat. My mum would kill me if she ever found out that I hadn't grin

WitchWay Tue 26-Aug-14 21:56:26

I always offer tea/coffee plus biscuits.

I gave squash to the crew who delivered & put up my new greenhouse on the hottest August day some years ago.

I offered Cobra Zero to the plumbers who were here for a week but they chose tea instead grin

DancingDinosaur Tue 26-Aug-14 21:57:08

Yes I always offer.

whois Tue 26-Aug-14 21:57:53

In the recent hot weather it makes me fume that he's working in hot utility rooms, shunting appliances about for hours and doesn't even get offered a glass of water

Can't be take a bottle of water with him?

Don't really see it is the home owners duty to provide water, I would think that a grown man was able to manage himself and either bring his own drink or ask for some water if he was thirsty.

PersonOfInterest Tue 26-Aug-14 21:58:33

I always offer a drink (and sometimes biscuits) when I'm making.

However I don't think he should expect it. Plenty of workmen are in houses with no one there/ no power and have to take a thermos/packed lunch.

Azquilith Tue 26-Aug-14 21:58:52

Glad to know the ladies of Mumsnet have some manners! I would always offer, plus make them feel welcome so they feel like they can ask to use the loo if necessary. Though my DP has said that no-one has ever said no to using the loo, though most people go in and check it for rogue poo stains first. Lol.

winkywinkola Tue 26-Aug-14 21:59:16

Always offer. Someone in my home always gets offered a drink at least.

It's basic hospitality regardless of who it is.

meglet Tue 26-Aug-14 21:59:18

Of course. I've even been known to get soft drinks, extra orange juice in for the summer months.

And a chocolate biscuits.

Vitalstatistix Tue 26-Aug-14 21:59:32

Absolutely. In fact, as they step through the door, first thing I say is kettle's on, what do you want.

Azquilith Tue 26-Aug-14 21:59:43

He does have a bottle of water with him. But I would think it's only polite to offer. Plus some people are unfriendly...

thatstoast Tue 26-Aug-14 21:59:47

Certainly not! If he has a drink this increases the chances of him needing to use the loo. Imagine a lowly workman waving his tool over someone's pristine bowl. Disgusting!

chumrun Tue 26-Aug-14 21:59:52

I work part time as a home carer and I never get offered a drink!

It does annoy me at times to be honest as sometimes we get no time to stop and I'd LOVE a cup of tea.

BarbaraPalmer Tue 26-Aug-14 21:59:53

I offer tea or pop, and free rein with the biscuit tin, but not meals.

RumAppleGinger Tue 26-Aug-14 22:00:03

Always. I usually offer to make the first cup and then they are told to help themselves to tea/coffee/juice/water/biscuits/whatever's in the fridge for however long they are here for. Plain bad manners not to.

MissWing Tue 26-Aug-14 22:00:42

Always offer tea/coffee/drink.

When our builders were putting the roof on in the beating heat I went out to get them ice cream.

On the occasional day I'm in the house, I'll make them a bacon butty.

They are putting in 12 hour days on site and working away from home.

It's all about the good will.

Blondieminx Tue 26-Aug-14 22:01:35

Always offer a cuppa & biscuit! If someone's in my home I make them a drink and try and make them feel welcome, especially if they are fixing some sort of domestic disaster!

Flipflops7 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:01:50

Of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now