Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to find it difficult to find a non fluffy birthday card?

(23 Posts)
iamdivergent Tue 26-Aug-14 21:30:51

For my non floral liking, relatively young mum.

We're not particularly close either so a sentimental one doesn't work either for me, nor one with kittens or glitter.

All the cards are really meh just not for her.

I ended up its a cream one with funky writing saying happy birthday and stole some of the kids stickers to write mum on it confused does anyone else have this problem? hmm or am I just weird! highly likely

toothlessoldhag Tue 26-Aug-14 21:34:26

I also don't like fluffy cards. Paperchase are good for plain designs, or museum shops.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 26-Aug-14 21:34:56

There are lots of great cards out there. I loathe sentimental cards .
I usually go to Scribbler or John Lewis.
I often buy cards months in advance if I find the right card for right person.

I tend to get blank cards and write my own message.

Just to clarify, I meant blank inside, not outside grin

lunar1 Tue 26-Aug-14 21:37:10

Clinton's have plenary if you don't mind paying £16.95 per card.

lunar1 Tue 26-Aug-14 21:37:46

Er, plenty not plenary!

Leeds2 Tue 26-Aug-14 21:38:43

Try your local Phoenix card seller. They are not at all fluffy!

trixymalixy Tue 26-Aug-14 21:38:50

Paperchase. Plus if you join their ,loyalty scheme you get loads of free coffee and £10 to spend on your birthday.

MrsSippy Tue 26-Aug-14 21:39:06

funky pigeon?

iamdivergent Tue 26-Aug-14 21:40:34

I live in the back end of beyond and am so shit at buying cards and I have the choice of m&s, card factory, tesco or morrisons.

Must look online for next year grin I'm not happy with the card I have ended up with but it's better than nothing I suppose

iamdivergent Tue 26-Aug-14 21:41:52

needed card today else I would have looked online. was a significant birthday too but I know she would not have been happy if I'd gotten her a number card!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 26-Aug-14 21:42:16

Seriously - you need Scribbler in your life. Its amazing. I dont have one in my city so whenever I go anwhere that has a Scribbler I do a £50 shop and stock pile the cards. They have a website but I dont allow myself on there!

iamdivergent Tue 26-Aug-14 21:43:18

Off to have a look - have to say I have never heard of scribbler!

Hollycomputer Tue 26-Aug-14 21:44:09

Oh god. DH and MIL have a thing about large soppy cards. He once asked me to get a birthday card for her and I bought a normal tasteful one which he deemed unacceptable because it was normal sized and didn't have a vomity floral message and 'to the best mum ever' or whatever on the front.

They HAVE to have a larger than usual card and it has to be soppy.

chinamoon Tue 26-Aug-14 21:46:45

Scribbler is good for humorous and very rude/crude cards generally. John Lewis has more classic stuff. Paperchase is expensive. Is Moonpig any good?

Hollycomputer Tue 26-Aug-14 21:47:19

Scribbler are great. I got a card for my friend which had a Modern Toss cartoon saying 'how's your new line manager?' And the other character saying 'he's a fucking cunt'. It sounds stupid but I did a lol while looking at it and it was spot on for my friend.

iamdivergent Tue 26-Aug-14 21:48:40

I think I have found my new favourite website. Hilarious! I have a few birthdays coming up soon and I am def on there grin

Suefla62 Tue 26-Aug-14 21:50:19

Try clevercards.com. You can design on online, they'll paint it and mail it for you. You can set them up weeks ahead if you like. Otherwise Jaquie Lawson does the most amazing online cards and advent calendars. You can sent up a yearly subscription and send as many cards as you like.

WitchWay Tue 26-Aug-14 21:51:09

The Blank Card Company here has interesting non-fluffy stuff smile

SilentCharisma Thu 28-Aug-14 10:30:35

Do what me and all my friends (and now family!) do - we buy the worst cards we can find for each other!

It's SO much more fun! My mum is revolted by the cutesy Forever Friends bears and the sickly sweet pink Mumsy-wumsy cards, so she always gets the worst one I can find.

My old school friends and I take it to the next level - we buy them in charity shops - I got one for my last birthday of a group of mallards in some reeds. Other low-lights include a kitten in a tea cup with a pink bow, and an elderly man fishing.

The best is the one I got for my 18th - was an 80th birthday card with the '0' crossed out and a '1' written in magic marker instead. It had a poem about being in the autumn of my life and how the twilight years were ending smile

Do it. It adds such a laugh when opening presents and cards. We always have a competition and vote who got the best one grin

toothlessoldhag Thu 28-Aug-14 10:42:01

That's brilliant! Though it relies on people knowing you're being ironic. Imagine if someone thought that was your taste.

vladthedisorganised Thu 28-Aug-14 11:17:12

I do exactly the same Silent! I love the 18th birthday card idea grin

Sadly DH doesn't get it at all so I only get 'blank for your own message' cards with a pot plant on the front these days.

Finding a Fathers' Day card that doesn't feature golf, lager or 'lend us a fiver Dad!' is a bit of a challenge too, I find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now