English breakfast

(158 Posts)
HappyAgainOneDay Tue 26-Aug-14 09:45:35

The bacon sandwich thread started me thinking.

One poster mentioned the full English breakfast. What do you think this comprises? I do not think it includes baked beans or hash browns because they are an American introduction. For me a full English is fried egg, crisp bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms and possibly some fried slices of leftover boiled potato or what we call scrubble and beak (use your brain for that one).

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 26-Aug-14 09:49:08

Eggs any style
Bacon
Sausages
Grilled tomatoes
No Mushrooms for me but yes for others
Baked Beans
Sliced white toast with butter
Mug of tea
Glass of fresh orange
HP sauce

Latara Tue 26-Aug-14 09:49:14

I think that if you are Northern it can include Black Pudding, my Grandad used to eat it every day with his breakfast and he was from Salford.

Lally112 Tue 26-Aug-14 09:52:14

Bacon, Egg, Sausage, Square, Black Pudding, Haggis, Mushrooms, Tattie Scone and Toast. But I am aware that's a full Scottish not a full English.

Lucked Tue 26-Aug-14 09:52:26

I agree black pudding and fried bread or potato scones. I never had the grilled tomato growing up. (Scottish)

PenisesAreNotPink Tue 26-Aug-14 09:54:21

Fruit pudding/slice
Black pudding or white pudding
Haggis slice
Grilled tomato
Bacon
Sausage
Egg
Mushrooms
Tattie scone

- a full Scottish breakfast with buttered toast on the side

Timeforabiscuit Tue 26-Aug-14 09:57:39

Definitely need white bread toast and a bucket of builders tea!

I'm of a no hash brown persuasion, but if the sausage and bacon are grilled you need the beans for a bit of moisture IMO.

I've had too many disappointing grilled tomatoes to sully a well cooked breakfast with.

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 26-Aug-14 09:59:03

2 sausages, 2 bacon, toast/fried bread, beans, tomato, eggs and black pudding. With a mug of tea and orange juice.

UncleT Tue 26-Aug-14 10:00:53

Grilled tomato doesn't belong at all. It's a grim combination with the eggs. Everything on the plate should complement everything else on there.

sashh Tue 26-Aug-14 10:01:10

OP

You do realise your left over potatoes are American too don't you?

Bacon
egg(s) fried or scrambled
baked beans
sausage
black pudding - sliced and fried
mushrooms
fried potatoes or bubble and squeak
fried bread
white toast
cup of tea

StillFrigginRexManningDay Tue 26-Aug-14 10:04:13

Mmmmmm fried bread sashh

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 26-Aug-14 10:06:08

UncleT I agree it has to be tinned plum tomatoes.

Timeforabiscuit Tue 26-Aug-14 10:06:17

Ooohhh fried bread! God that brings back memories grin you had to have the whole breakfast cooked in a frying pan to get the really lovely rendered fat needed.

Stupid dietary advice ruined the cooked breakfast!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 26-Aug-14 10:06:24

Eggs
Bacon
Sausage
Beans
Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Hash browns
Fried bread or toast

I love love hash browns, they have to be included!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 26-Aug-14 10:07:31

Forgot about a cuppa!

NigellasPeeler Tue 26-Aug-14 10:12:01

eggs
bacon
sausage
black pudding
toast
mushrooms
large mug of tea

absolutely no tomatoes or baked beans, they are the devil's work

CoolCat2014 Tue 26-Aug-14 10:13:52

Bacon
Eggs
Sausages
Beans
Hash browns
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Toast

Hungry now...

HowardTJMoon Tue 26-Aug-14 10:15:24

I agree that hash browns are an Americanism but they do complement a full English very well. And I prefer scrambled rather than fried eggs and toast to fried bread.

So that makes sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, hash browns, beans and toast. And black pudding. And at least two mugs of scalding hot tea.

Damn. Now I'm all hungry sad

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 26-Aug-14 10:16:33

Now I fancies a full English.

BucktoothedGirlinLuxembourg Tue 26-Aug-14 10:16:59

You have to have tomatoes with black pudding.

Fishandjam Tue 26-Aug-14 10:19:02

Bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms, tinned plum tomatoes, fried slice, black pudding. Tea (NEVER coffee) and white toast with butter on the side.

SugarSkully Tue 26-Aug-14 10:20:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

susiedaisy Tue 26-Aug-14 10:20:49

Bacon
Sausage
Egg
Fried bread
Grilled tomato
Mushrooms
Beans
Toast
Tea

EveDallasRetd Tue 26-Aug-14 10:20:52

Bacon, sausage, eggs (not for me though), black pudding, fried bread with beans on top, hash browns (for DD), grilled tomato (for DH), mushrooms (but only if fried in butter).

Toast on the side for mopping up juices at the end.

Pot of tea and small glass of juice.

There is a cafe just down the road that does a Mega Breakfast for £8.00, but if you finish it it's half price: two sausages, three bacon, two eggs, two hash browns, one black pudding, two slices of toast, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms....and a portion of chips shock. I've never seen anyone finish it.

Minion Tue 26-Aug-14 10:23:16

Crispy bacon is an american import, though I prefer it, it's not an 'english' brekkie if the bacon isnt back bacon and not crispy.
I'd also say baked beans were english, as when you try and order them in the USA you get an odd look and something nearing haricot beans and an insipid tomato flavoured jus arrive on your plate.

And yes yes a thousand times yes to fried bread, hash browns, mushrooms in butter and black pudding... and white pudding if you want to go 'Irish'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now