To feel a bit sorry for all those babies having to wear those triangular dribble bibs?

(81 Posts)
WineCraft Mon 25-Aug-14 11:33:28

I know how they are supposed to sit. And I know how they are supposed to lay and I know how they are supposed to look.

Except they dont. They dont sit in a nice comfortable triangle under their chin to catch the dribbles, they ruck up so they are over their chin and bunch up around the neck.

In warm weather Id hate to have that round my neck. And Id hate to have something constantly riding up around my chin and mouth.

I just used to use a muslin or have a couple of top changes during teething periods.

I know, I need to get a life. But Im bored today grin.

Vitalstatistix Mon 25-Aug-14 11:34:14

triangular dribble bibs? What are they?

Vitalstatistix Mon 25-Aug-14 11:35:16
HeySoulSister Mon 25-Aug-14 11:35:25

Omg they are beyond hideous!!

JuniperTisane Mon 25-Aug-14 11:37:40

God yes I hated them. They never sit nicely and always curled up at the point. I went back to nice oilcloth-backed towelling-front square ones when I needed them.

I have a pile of the pointy buggers sitting in a drawer upstairs, mostly used once or never touched.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 25-Aug-14 11:38:23

Awful - not at all comfortable, I would guess. A gimmicky fashion accessory, just like the silly headbands several years ago, used to announce your baby was a girl. Probably not comfortable for the unfortunate baby having to wear it!

BlinkAndMiss Mon 25-Aug-14 11:39:17

Well the one in that link is hideous! But when parents use the correct size they actually look fine. I find they are better for older babies though, they do look silly on tiny babies.

SirChenjin Mon 25-Aug-14 11:40:32

I think the furrins put them on their babies - DF from the Netherlands used to use them, her Mum sent them over. Maybe this is just an imported fashion from <vague wave of hand> over there?

Ludways Mon 25-Aug-14 11:45:56

Looks like he's about to rob a bank.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 25-Aug-14 11:46:08

What is a Furrin, plse, SirChen?? smile
Agree - imported "fashion" Haha

Iconfuseus Mon 25-Aug-14 11:52:41

I have to stick up for the triangular dribble bib.

My DS was a terrible dribbler and his skin started to get sore because he was constantly getting his onsies wet.

We tried normal bibs but they were not thick enough the dribble would soak through in minutes.

The triangular bibs we got were made of bamboo and they were fleece lined. They soaked up the dribble brilliantly and I'd only have to change them two or three times a day.

These ones were quite long so they did lie flat. I've bought some others once that were like normal bibs, they did curl up and were no good.

So I'm firmly pro triangular dribble bib.

Purplepoodle Mon 25-Aug-14 11:54:23

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80252008/

I have these for ds3 and they are amazing esp during the day at daycare. Catch all the slobbers, don't soak through a they are fleece lined and don't ruck up.

I have to use bibs as my boys have a condition where they drool a lot. Ds2 who is 3 wears the bandana style ones on bad days but I use the small triangle style with minimum material so they don't ride up

mrsm16 Mon 25-Aug-14 11:56:22

Before having ds I thought these were the stupidest thing I've ever seen, now I don't know how i managed without them! I've a super dribble machine toddler and the fleece lined ones are brilliant for not soaking through onto clothes, so yabu.

Holfin Mon 25-Aug-14 11:56:36

Like Iconfuseus says when you have a real dribbler they can be handy. My DS would soak through a T-shirt and vest in an hour when teething. These bibs stop that happening and it is much easier to put a clean bib on than have to change all his top half clothes.

SirChenjin Mon 25-Aug-14 11:57:17

Sorry, I'm being very facetious, I do apologise - furrins = foreigners blush

Cuddlydragon Mon 25-Aug-14 11:58:24

YABU. They're definitely not a fashion accessory for some dribbly babies. We go through 8-10 a day keeping my DS chin and chest dry. The bigger, better quality ones don't curl up unless they're past their best and need chucked out. Just be grateful you don't have a constantly dribbling toddler. Swallowing your own spit is a developmental milestone that can take them up to 4 years of age to reach by the way. It isn't always just teething.

chelsbells Mon 25-Aug-14 11:59:28

Funky Giraffe do some beautiful ones, which don't ride up at the back and sit properly under the chin! Working in a nursery so come into contact with lots of bibs, the FG ones are the only ones that seem to sit right and the patterns are always nice!

tethersend Mon 25-Aug-14 12:00:40

YABU.

They make babies look like cowboys and you can pretend they're having a shoot-out if you position them correctly.

JuniperTisane Mon 25-Aug-14 12:07:58

Mine are Funky Giraffe. They all curl up. Does anyone want mine?

Tieni Mon 25-Aug-14 12:12:57

Please be considerate, I'm sorry you are bored but having read this I am sobbing. My son is 4.5 and dribbles profusely. We get through 10-20 of these hideous bibs per day and I have just had the wonderful job of finding some that will go with his school uniform.

Yes you read that right, school uniform. He starts school next week. Although he has asd he is going to a mainstream school and should cope very well, I just dread the comments from other parents and children and you've just confirmed my fears.

squirrelweasel Mon 25-Aug-14 12:15:11

I just used regular bibs from tesco/asda etc confused

HenriettaTurkey Mon 25-Aug-14 12:18:14

Tieni, I hear you. I work with teenagers with special needs, some of whom dribble profusely too. We use these in navy/black because a particular older student arrives with bibs with ducks etc and other toddler type images on. The navy ones are more appropriate and save his chest from being constantly damp.

Procrastinatingpeacock Mon 25-Aug-14 12:20:12

Tieni please don't be sad! My ds wears these, as do many other children I know. Far better for your son to wear a bib than to dribble over his uniform. I really doubt anyone will think anything more than that your son dribbles and so his mum has made sure he wears a bib so he is comfortable. It might be unusual to wear a dribble bib at school age but it's not wrong or anything to be ashamed of, just like some kids still have accidents for a while after starting school and need pull ups and spare clothes.

Badvoc123 Mon 25-Aug-14 12:20:38

I think they look cool.
Wish they were around when mine were that age.
Yabu op and goady and twatty.

They're rubbish.

I just changed LOs thirty when he dribbled too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now