To think Matt Smith was a terrible a Doctor?

(113 Posts)
HangingBasketCase Sun 24-Aug-14 17:47:01

I felt like I'd woken up in a parallel universe this morning and saw all the comments from people bemoaning how much they missed him last night. Seriously, I never liked him as the doctor. I adored David Tennant and watched every single one of his episodes, but I although I gave Smith a chance I just didn't connect or gel with him. I didn't get it and don't know why he was ever cast in the past. Also don't get me started on Amy Pond, I bloody loathed her with a passion!

I drifted away from the series completely during the Smith era, but now Capaldi has taken over I'm coming back. He's already a vast improvement on Smith, I could tell you that after one episode.

Where the fuck has all this Smith love come from?!

Terrierterror Sun 24-Aug-14 17:49:14

You are very wrong. Matt Smith was good.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 24-Aug-14 17:52:22

YANBU

I had to stop watching it completely.

I love Peter Capaldi in the role, though.

indefinitearticle Sun 24-Aug-14 17:52:44

Hanging, I agree with you, but I think we might be in the minority. smile

Lots of young 'uns I know loved Matt Smith, but I thought Capaldi was absolutely superb in the first episode last night - he just was the Doctor, IYSWIM? I never felt that with MS, lovely though he seemed.

Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series. tardis grin

steff13 Sun 24-Aug-14 17:53:54

I grew to love Matt Smith. It took me a while to warm up to him, not because I thought he was bad, but because he was Not David Tennant, and I didn't want someone who was Not David Tennant.

I thought Matt Smith was goofy and funny and sweet. My favorite part of his tenure as the Doctor, though, was Rory and Amy. LOVE them.

I liked Peter Capaldi. I was a little mad at him for a minute in last night's episode, but I came back around. I am looking forward to seeing more of him.

pictish Sun 24-Aug-14 17:53:58

Aww no Matt Smith was just lovely! Amy and Rory got on my wick, but I did like Matt.
Agree PC will ace it though. He was great last night!

millionsofpeaches Sun 24-Aug-14 17:57:37

Totally agree Hanging. DT was an amazing Dr. Matt Smith was just awful and I stopped watching it too. Thought Peter Capaldi showed promise last night. Unlike the storyline!

tabulahrasa Sun 24-Aug-14 17:58:29

Matt Smith was ok, not brilliant, but ok...I'll not miss him though.

I'm liking Peter Capaldi, I liked the idea of him and based on last night I am definitely going to prefer him. I'm liking that he is older and darker, the look to camera after the jump/push was great.

sharon56bus Sun 24-Aug-14 17:58:44

Tom Baker was the best Doctor ..................

BruthasTortoise Sun 24-Aug-14 17:59:36

I always disliked DT for not being Chris Ecclestone smile. Loved Matt Smith and adore Capaldi. Good times ahead.

BOFster Sun 24-Aug-14 17:59:59

I couldn't bring myself to watch old moonface, but I love Peter Capaldi and watched Dr Who last night for the first time in years. I might well stick with it.

pictish Sun 24-Aug-14 18:00:21

I'll not miss him either to be fair. I got sick of the Amy/Doctor/Amy/Rory/Amy dynamics. They strung it right out.

ghostisonthecanvas Sun 24-Aug-14 18:02:36

I likr Matt. I was pissed David Tennant left but thought young Matt did a great job. Was dubious about Peter capaldi but he was great. I only watched one Christopher eccesson (?) episode. Dire. So pleased Dr Who istardis back.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 24-Aug-14 18:02:50

I agree. I have recorded last nights episode, and ds (8) and I are going to watch it tonight. It will be ds's first ever Doctor Who episode..
<excited>
<scared in case there are Cybermen>

scottishmummy Sun 24-Aug-14 18:03:05

I stopped regularly watching when Matt smith.i found him wooden,over mannered with limited range

YANBU, although DH agrees with everyone else.

xalyssx Sun 24-Aug-14 18:09:08

I loved Tennant. Couldn't really get into Matt Smith, although I did enjoy it more towards the end. Last night I was pleasantly surprised by Capaldi.

Matt Smith was wonderful. He was an old man in a young persons body. I was blown away by him in the Eleventh hour.

Capaldi is bloody good too.!

YABU. I loved Matt Smith. I'm not overly keen on David Tennant's Doctor, which I'm sure puts me in a minority.

Peter Capaldi is going to be brilliant though. He was easily the best part of a very mediocre episode.

nooka Sun 24-Aug-14 18:12:44

We really enjoyed Matt Smith's first season, thought it worked really well and that he picked up on the early doctor's characteristics very well (especially Pat Troughton). But his subsequent seasons were sadly really awful, especially all that irritating dying and absolutely anything to do with River Song. So for the first time ever we stopped watching (and we have watched every available episode of Dr Who, including some fairly terrible ones). dd recently did a catch up and I thought that the later ones with Clara looked better, hopefully the new seasons will be good.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 24-Aug-14 18:12:48

I loved DT, thought he made a brilliant doctor. Quite like CE too. Couldn't really warm to MS and as for that bloody Amy... all she could do was screech 'Doctor! Doctor!' like some harangued matron. Not sure if I like PC yet, need to see a couple more episodes. tardis

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sun 24-Aug-14 18:15:02

YABU - Matt Smith was my second favourite doctor after Jon Pertwee.

shock YABTU! I loved Matt Smith's doctor. Although I agree with you totally about David Tennant, he's my favourite which has nothing to do with me fancying the pants off him. blush I thought Peter Capaldi was very good last night, I think he's going to be a good doctor. tardis

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sun 24-Aug-14 18:15:56

But then, I liked Christopher Eccleston too, and found David Tennant seriously annoying. So, I probably know nothing.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sun 24-Aug-14 18:20:02

DDs really liked Matt Smith, I found him a bit silly, but warmed to him in the end. I like Amy (and Rory towards the end, when he got some script).

I've seen very few of the Clara episodes, so I can't judge. Yesterday she was just a pretty thing in period costume. But yesterdays script was totally unoriginal shit. Even it admitted it was just a very poor rehash of the girl in the fire place robots. Lizard woman is annoying, over tanned Sontaran (sp) should stay in the SJ adventures and openly lesbian couples are totally over being faintly edgy.

And fuck the Scotish angle, we have enough of that with the sodding independence vote. Dr Who is an alien, his accent doesn't matter.

(In anycase my hearing is awful and I tend to put the subtitles on, or the sound effects deafen everyone.)

If and when we get a decent script, not Moffet up his own arse, I'll decide if I like the wrinkly thing as the Dr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now