To think I'm too old (mid 30s) to be getting a wisdom tooth?

(20 Posts)
MrsBoldon Sun 24-Aug-14 09:23:07

I'm in quite a lot of discomfort. My right upper back tooth is REALLY painful if I put any pressure on it by eating.

Feeling around, the gum is really swollen and hard and feels like there is something there trying to come out!. It hurts and my jaw is aching even without eating.

None of my wisdom teeth ever came through (I have 28 teeth instead of 32). It can't be trying to come through now can it? At my age?!.

Or is it more likely to be an abcess or infection? . I first noticed it on Friday and it's getting more painful every day.

Anyone else experienced this? Or any MN dentists around?.

Thanks. .

Silvercatowner Sun 24-Aug-14 09:23:58

Yes, it can.

I have one coming through and im 43!!

Shakirasma Sun 24-Aug-14 09:26:47

My DH had the same symptoms, dentist confirmed a wisdom tooth erupting. He's 48!

bonzo77 Sun 24-Aug-14 09:29:11

YABU. One of my patients had one that made an appearance in his late 70's. Still, see your dentist, it could be something else.

arewethereyetmum78 Sun 24-Aug-14 09:35:30

I'm 36 and have my 4th coming through at the moment. So yes it definitely could be that. I'd make an appt with dentist though if you're in pain

MrsBoldon Sun 24-Aug-14 09:36:59

Will see my dentist but quite frankly I'm outraged!. smile

I didn't know they could come though later in life.

Just started to notice a few grey hairs and now I'm teething at the same time?!.

I'll be writing a stern letter of complaint to Mother Nature today.

DaisyFlowerChain Sun 24-Aug-14 09:39:13

Haha it will be the chin hairs next grin

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 24-Aug-14 09:56:15

I had two wisdom teeth removed when I was 19 so you aren't old.

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 24-Aug-14 09:57:25

Hmm, think I may have misunderstood the OP. Too many wine last night.

Andrewofgg Sun 24-Aug-14 09:59:44

I got mine at 19 and know how a baby feels while it is teething. Not nice. OP count your molars, a wisdom tooth will be the third in that jaw on that side!

YouTheCat Sun 24-Aug-14 10:19:54

My 2 wisdom teeth on the left side came through when I was about 30. They came in at odd angles and I got them removed (which was no big thing really).

Now I'm 45. The lower right one is coming though. Still no sign of the upper right though.

MrsBoldon Sun 24-Aug-14 10:20:26

There is no room at all for it to come through. I don't know where it thinks it's going to go (though obviously a tooth can't think but you know what I mean!).

pointythings Sun 24-Aug-14 13:10:26

I could be a wisdom tooth. However, it could also be an abscess under your back tooth. Either way, you need to see a dentist and get it checked out.

CecilyP Sun 24-Aug-14 13:36:07

No, you are not too old for it to come through. I had one come through when I was 37! If they are there, and they haven't come through already, of course they can come through at any age if there is nothing stopping them. Strangely, I had no pain from that one whereas the 2 that came through when I was 20 really hurt. I still have one to go but it is stuck under another tooth. I guess if I have other teeth out in my old age, there will be room for it.

If there is no room for it to come through, I would see the dentist.

MrsBoldon Sun 24-Aug-14 16:02:43

Off to the dentist this week then.

Thanks for replies.

Mouthfulofquiz Sun 24-Aug-14 16:18:35

Mine grumble away every six months or so... Very annoying indeed! Ibuprofen and a medicinal whisky help no end!

Sicaq Sun 24-Aug-14 16:21:45

I had one finally half-erupt at 35; it had been stuck under the gum until then. Pain in the arse because it kept getting infected, so I had it taken out.

Sicaq Sun 24-Aug-14 16:22:55

To add, if it's painful try swishing it in salt water a few times a day. Will draw out any infection.

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Sun 24-Aug-14 19:38:43

They can and do come in much later OP, that's why they called 'em 'wisdom' teeth, as they come in when people were older than when they got their others so had - supposedly - accrued more wisdom since then. All mine came in during my thirties; now in my forties, and still waiting for the wisdom to come though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now