AIBU To think that having kids actually isn't that stressful/tiring?

(201 Posts)
Nicklt1988 Sat 23-Aug-14 23:24:15

There may well be a back lash to this.

We have one DD (6 y/o) - and I can honestly say I have never really felt stressed/tired since she was born.

Me and my wife do the same level of caring, neither of us does anymore or less than the other and we split domestic stuff pretty evenly.

Maybe we have been lucky, but then again I don't think we have. When DW became pregnant neither of use worked and we had no where to live, so not not a stressful situation - over those 6 years we have worked hard and have a pretty good life etc.

Maybe it's has just been different for us compared to most - just that probably 80-90% of friends or people I speak to who have children (be it 1 or more) comment about how stressful it is and tiring.

I'm naturally quite a calm and laid back person so maybe that helps somewhat, my DW is different she can get very stressed over thing (not over DD though) and she has said she has never really felt stressed of tired from DD (apart from maybe the first 1-2 months from when she was born).

Does anyone else not find having kids stressful - or does anyone think I'm crazy to think it's not.

meltedmonterayjack Mon 25-Aug-14 23:31:45

I had one. I only had one because I found parenting so exhausting and stressful. DD and by extension I, survived on minimal sleep. She had health and feeding issues, was incredibly bright and easily bored, easily frustrated and very demanding.

As others have said, if you are lucky enough to have a healthy child who has an 'easy' demeanor, then it probably isn't too knackering. If you aren't, then it obviously isn't. Mine went from being a tricky child to a manipulative, tantrumy teenager who pushed the boundaries constantly. As an adult, even she looks back and says how nightmarish she was.

The thought of having to go through all this stress and total knackeration again, was just too much for me to want to have another child.

So if you are still reading this, even though you haven't enough bottle to argue your case, then yes, YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now